Here's my thing,

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Here's my thing,

Unread postby Variol » 01 Nov 2014, 15:14

It's been pretty dry for PC RPG's for a long time. I did enjoy MMX; and I'm not an online gamer.

My preference is a game like Wizardry 8, where I can create a party of whom ever I want, with as many characters as I want. I don't really care about storyline. I'm happy to just run around fulfilling quests and finding better stuff. If it's a bit "linear" that's okay too. Ten year old graphics are perfectly fine as well, so game runs fast.

MM6-8 did this fairly well also. It does not sound like a very complicated recipe to me. I think too many companies just try to over-think the game to it's detriment.

I don't want to have to invest in another platform like XBOX or PLAYSTATION, in order to play these types of games.

Has the market simply dried up? I'm sure there are still some creative people out there which could take the Wizardry engine and make another excellent game. I use that one as an example, because I feel it really was the best; not just 'cos it's Canadian. :)

Thanks

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 01 Nov 2014, 15:40

It was Canadian as a last ditch effort to survive having moved from the US. It doesn't matter, like you I think it was the best of the RPGs. It is 13 years this month since it was released. I have not noticed anything that compares in the time since. I liked having the parties move forward with you. I played the same party in Wiz 6, 7 and 8. Sadly right after Wiz 8 was released they announced they had started work on Wiz 9. Unfortunately they had to give up too much money in the contract just to get Wiz 8 published and that left nothing to continue. MMX was a good step, but it lacked the depth of Wizardry 8.

While there may be a market for a good RPG like Wizardry; I do not think the gaming companies feel the profit is sufficient. They can continue to produce eye candy cheaper and make the same amount. It sucks, but it is business.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 02 Nov 2014, 10:09

But, if they already have an excellent engine to work around, and an audience that's willing to buy, based on the previous game, would it not be worth it? (rhetorical) :)

W8 looked excellent to me. The reflective floor in the monastery had to be ground-breaking.

On another note,

Don't eat too late!
We had supper late last night and this morning I dreamed that I was at Howard W's place (or all of them) from Big Bang. I think it was his real home? Anyway this guy came in with a few others and sat down. He was wearing a M&M T-Shirt. I asked him where he got it. He could not remember, but suddenly, I was looking at scenes from the game. They all looked new to me. It turned out to be M&M 10 & 11.
Then I was walking in the actual M&M world. It was almost like a tour and I was wearing a kings robes. We finally ended up back inside the front of the castle.
There were a few other tidbits, but that's about it.

Weird stuff, :)

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Nov 2014, 17:47

Variol wrote:But, if they already have an excellent engine to work around, and an audience that's willing to buy, based on the previous game, would it not be worth it? (rhetorical) :)
For us yes. I do not know how the game machines were developed back then. I believe most companies developed their own, but even if so I believe they sold all the rights to other companies; who have done little with them.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 08 Nov 2014, 12:25

Everyone has gone MMO today. The money involved is huge. Especially the pay-to-play ones. Like WoW. Even the so called freemiums like Candy Crush is still more lucrative.

Last PC RPG of any note is Skyrim. A good game. Not sure anyone will make anything like that anymore.

I like to play PC RPGs too. Ended up playing the good ol' ones.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 08 Nov 2014, 16:13

Grimrock?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Return to “Campfire”