Map Control Explained

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Map Control Explained

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Oct 2014, 10:27

Fans of the <i>Heroes</i> series who have played user-made maps have probably seen this kind of thing before; terrain features introduced by the map maker, designed to influence the gameplay. We might be talking about using forests of mountains to make certain parts of the map impassable; I myself have used timed events to remove these obstacles, in order to simulate the opening of a passage as explained in the story: "Your men have worked tirelessly and finally been able to clear the road". That sort of thing. Some of the more gifted map makers have created wonderful effects like this.

The <i>Heroes VII</i> developers have decided to kick this up a notch. <a target="_blank" href="/https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/ ... -vii">This article</a> explains how you can use things to your advantage on the adventure map, potentially making map strategy more important than ever:

<b>"Choke points":</b> Destructible structures such as bridges and teleporters, that are useful in linking towns with the surrounding areas.

<b>"Area of Control:"</b> Almost as in the previous game; controlling a town or a fort also gives a degree of control over the surrounding areas and resources.

<b>"Forts:"</b> A realistic feature, giving control over the surrounding area and strong fortifications against invasion. To successfully invade a territory, a player must take the fort or risk frequent quick-strikes from the army within.

<b>"Outposts:"</b> Forts in remote areas, controlling enclaves or territories far from your town. The caravan feature should be useful here.

<b>"Caravans:"</b> Function as a hero-less army on the adventure map. Can be attacked or interacted with while it moves across the map, making <i>supply lines</i> an important feature. After all, what is the use of reinforcements if they never arrive...?

All this sounds like a very interesting way of going about it; map strategy lies not only in the hands of a skilled map maker, but can also be exploited by a skilled player. The strategy when designing a map and when playing it now becomes more complex than ever.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1414664822
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Oct 2014, 12:37

I like the way forts work now. Also, having now caravans instead of that Town portal thing is far much realistic and based on strategy, area control, very nice. Those were the two most disappointing map features in H6, imho, coupled with town conversion, which won't happen in H7 – another relief. :hoo:

The only feature that I wonder if it could be problematic is a Choke Point. For example, if you happen to be on your own (you won't lose the match by not having any towns, for example), a single hero with no income, and then you enter a dead-end place by crossing a bridge. Then, your enemy destroys that bridge. Considering that you have no income or resources, due a map design, campaign or whatever, you wouldn't have, in theory, resources and means to rebuild that bridge. Then... would you be stuck forever in that place? Or would they make it possible rebuilding things with apparently no resources but spending an incredibly amount of time if you had nothing to spare? ;|
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Map Control Explained

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Oct 2014, 15:41

I think that situation would be what the chess people call stalemate. ;-)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Fuddelbaerentatze
Peasant
Peasant

Map Control Explained

Unread postby Fuddelbaerentatze » 30 Oct 2014, 16:29

Anybody familiar with the realtime strategy game called "Z"? It also featured areas of control. The neat thing was the more areas you controll, the faster your troop production. Think about it. There could be all kinds of mali and boni bound to certain areas. Like loosing some national monument will give the faction that is assosicated with it bad morale, controlling a national monument of another player gives you a moral boost when you fight him. Things like that. Loosing your farm district will cripple your unit production, losing your mining district will make it impossible to recruit heavily armded troops. I'd like them to expand tha area of control concept until it is deeply woven in the general gaming mechanics.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 31 Oct 2014, 09:30

I like these changes, heroes 6 really over simplified the map control aspect of the game.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 03 Nov 2014, 11:09

@ Panda Tar

About AoC, I doubt it will be "in" w/o something like the 7 days and no take a town = you lose feature. If that limit is unchecked by the map maker surely he will have the smarts to give you what you need in that isolated place.

@ All

The one area I'm not very excited is Z of C. That sounds too out of place in HoMM but if it's done well I suppose it might work.

One other related thought; while bringing in real warfare tactics sounds ok I'm not really sold on the idea that making HoMM more like TW or some other war-strategy game is what Fantasy should be about. <imo> This is were the on-line battle-only fans that don't really care about adventuring, quests etc. have put some un-intended misdirection into HoMM.

What I read now seems different to me than in past years. Now many conversations seem to always be about battlefields and how units look, while I truly cling to the world of the adventurer and the single-player aspect. almost entirely. Anyone else here share my thoughts?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Map Control Explained

Unread postby Karmakeld » 03 Nov 2014, 18:56

panda tar, I think that's for the mapmaker to avoid being able to happen.. I see no fun in stalemate just annoyance. But I see several features I would have loved to have as a map maker in H4..
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Return to “News”