Markal and The Invasion Mission

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 08 Oct 2014, 07:44

Look how many neutral undeads there are left. If it is just a few stacks, then you have spent too much time. I usually leave islands for later, because boarding takes time, and enemy is unlikely to reach them before you anyway.
When the elves appear, you may need to bring Markal or his army back. To deal with orange you need two heroes with decent armies. To win the main fights, combine the armies, but all other times, split up.

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 08 Oct 2014, 22:27

Okay, thanks..

Also...

I will take Isabel across the ocean, and leave Newport and Lorekeep undefended.

If this is a mistake, please tell me now before I spend 5 hours doing it :)

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 12 Oct 2014, 19:48

Pitsu wrote:Adv. sorcery vs summoning: as usually it depends on situation, but sorcery sounds better for me. It helps to act more often in battle no matter what spellschools you have.
So what is the difference between Advanced Sorcery and just Initiative?

Doesn't training ATTACK give you more initiative and more chances to act in battle and cast spells also, plus other benefits?

I don't understand the difference.

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 12 Oct 2014, 20:23

UPDATE:

I sent Isabel to protect Ziyad, as most walkthroughs suggest.

The elf army AND the orange army then invaded Lorekeep and Newport, which was undefended.

Even if Isabel had remained, she can't defeat 2 large armies by herself.

I have declared this game's AI to be unbeatable. Or the margin for error is just very small.

Deleted the game :)

I still have my SAVED FILES if I wan't to try again some day.

Thanks to those who gave me advice and helped me.

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 14 Oct 2014, 21:56

Considering re-installing the game, and trying to send Isabel back to Newport from a previously saved game.

Awaiting further suggestions.

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 19 Oct 2014, 01:29

REINSTALLED!

Please answer previous few posts if possible.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 19 Oct 2014, 19:36

A general tip for whenever a map is hard: concentrate on main objectives. On this map you must get two artifacts (from two towns) and then pass the garnisons. You do NOT need to defeat orange or elves. You do NOT need to defend your starting towns, capture mines etc.

And finally, if you manage with the necromancer campaign, then warlock is much worse. :) There you really must pick proper skills from the very start.

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 20 Oct 2014, 00:11

I am close to finally solving the INVASION, just got lucky this time around.

Can you answer this question about ADVANCED SORCERY?

So what is the difference between Advanced Sorcery and just Initiative?

Doesn't training ATTACK give you more initiative and more chances to act in battle and cast spells also, plus other benefits?

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 20 Oct 2014, 08:31

Wahooka wrote: So what is the difference between Advanced Sorcery and just Initiative?
Sorcery is a (secondary) skill that you can learn and improve (you can level up in sorcery).
Initiative is a parameter (or "primary skill") which you always have and which can be influenced by certain secondary skills or spells. But you cannot "level up" in initiative.
Attack influences damage done with each blow, not how often you can hit(aka initiative).

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 20 Oct 2014, 17:09

Thanks for answering my question.

I will write my own WALKTHROUGH for this level later (think the current walkthrough is seriously flawed), but lets just say that I'm finally near the end after winning a lucky battle, and have one last question:

There appears to be some scripting errors that some people have encountered regarding the need to raise an army of 30 Bone Dragons at a certain exact time in the mission.

What can I do to avoid this?

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 21 Oct 2014, 04:38

I know you're probably sick of answering my questions, but one more :)

I'm at the point in the scenario where I can go through the garrisons and try to complete the mission, but he keeps sending heroes through the portal.

At this point, can I just ignore him let him re-take the 3 cities I cursed ?

Or will that cause the scenario to be considered a failure if he re-captures them?

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 21 Oct 2014, 05:47

Get the dragons and go through the portal, that should do the trick no matter how many towns you or enemy owns or what date it is.

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 21 Oct 2014, 20:03

Pitsu wrote:Get the dragons and go through the portal, that should do the trick no matter how many towns you or enemy owns or what date it is.
So ever since this thread begun, I could have just ignored Mahhir's troops and gone through the garrisons and then the portal and solved the level?

I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, I had the power to leave all along!!!

:( :( :( :(

:) :) :) :)

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 30 Oct 2014, 19:54

Wahooka

I’ve gone through your thread and feel sorry that you were stuck so badly on this mission.

As a guy who has played every single official Heroes mission from 1-5, I think it’s obvious that you are a noob, and you need to reconsider your approach.

In Heroes of Might and Magic, Heroes are everything. So your heroes build is very important. It is not hard to figure out that you didn’t know how to play a necromancer (whose main attributes are spell power and knowledge, and also defense).

A necromancer basically needs his troops to stay alive as long as possible, while he casts spells. There are two main approaches to this.
1) Dark Magic Approach. You make the enemy turn on themselves. While buying time by using spells like blind and mass slow to reduce the number of enemy stacks actually attacking your troops.
2) Summoning Magic Approach. You keep using summoning, be it phantom forces or obstacles on the battlefield or reanimating your dead, until you win by outlasting your foes. If Markal has summon phoenix, it is often incredibly powerful. The phoenix can last as long as a dozen Titans, and unlike these Titans, the phoenix can be summoned again after it dies.

Your troops aren’t great. They have low stats, and as a necromancer you have low attack. You can do some serious damage with your mass skeletons, but they are not a game-winner by themselves unless you can summon phantom image and have the image act immediately if you are an expert. Your best hope is to pick up as many stacks as possible quickly. Also as a necromancer you should attack as many innocent neutrals as possible. Always use up all Dark Energy and raise to the max.

Wizards are the natural counter to Necromancers, since they can outcast you in most cases. They have more mana than you (yes I know Mark of the Necromancer is great, but you have to keep recasting it after a stack dies) and a far bigger range of spells. Furthermore many Wizards will have equipped their troops with artifacts, while you are stuck with whatever you have raised.

Your main hope is to defeat the Wizard via stronger casts. Wizards are heavily focused on knowledge, so they wind up being jacks of all trades and masters of none. As a necromancer you have higher spell power. IE whatever phoenix you summon, will be more powerful than theirs. Your dark spells may be strong enough to resist their cleansing attempts. Your curse of the netherworld should do considerable damage and also dispel the phantom image to boot.

I played this campaign many years ago and don’t really remember it anymore. But if you replay the campaign, I think you have many more opportunities to really improve your hero build. You also need to be picking up more and better artifacts. I vaguely remember having considerably more than just one staff to reduce enemy iniitiatives. I recommend replaying it on the max difficulty setting. You may think I am making fun of you (especially after identifying you as a noob above), but from my personal experience (you can see my posts in the walkthrough pages on the main website), the highest difficulty setting is often (bizarrely) easier. Especially in Markal’s case, as Pitsu pointed out, because Markal gets to pick up lots of neutral stacks.

Wahooka
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wahooka » 18 Nov 2014, 06:35

Thanks for this advice, but from what I now understand, Markal can ignore all the armies that come through the portal.

In other words, once you take the 3 cities and curse them, it doesn't matter if you lose them later on, you've already filled the objective.

Therefore, i can just go through the 3 garrisons and solve the level any time I want.

Is this true?

I asked that question 2 months ago and nobody answered me.

I actually sold my copy of MM5 in frustration, but considering re-buying maybe down the line.

TheMeInTeam
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheMeInTeam » 09 Mar 2015, 20:51

Whenever you have this kind of situation, keep in mind that while he might have taken your town, his troop types don't mesh well with yours if you curse the town. Even if he can recruit there though, no matter what you have more towns (you can skeleton transform non-conforming towns anyway).

Just kill anything that tries to reinforce that hero, retake any town he abandons, and hire new creatures each week. Even if your hero blows chunks, you can just numbers grind this situation like a joke. Don't forget this tip during later campaigns too, you can trash otherwise difficult maps with hit and run type stuff if you can gain a numerical town lead, because you can outgrow the AI. Even in the notorious C4M3 this is possible with expert logistics.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”