Gamers: 50% Buy On Sale Only

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Sep 2014, 15:56

This summer, the NPD Group did <a target="_blank" href="/https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/n ... games/">an online survey</a> with just over 6.200 people, 2.300 of which were qualified as "PC gamers", and came up with several interesting titbits:

- 37% of the US population over the age of 9 currently plays PC games,

- half of all PC gamers usually wait for a sale until they make a purchase,

- buyers of <i>digital</i> games are far less likely than buyers of physical games to pay full price,

- slightly less than half of PC gamers have bought digital games in the past year.

We know that when it comes to <i>Might and Magic</i>, the fans are a fairly conservative bunch, wanting physical editions and extra goodies with their games rather than downloading digital versions. With this in mind, you would think that Ubisoft would be interested in selling <i>Heroes VII</i> in physical form everywhere, especially considering <a target="_blank" href="/http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/i ... ames/">Ars technica</a>'s revelation from back in April, that some 37% of Steam games downloaded are never actually played.

What about you? Do you insist upon a retail version, would you be happy with a downloaded game or is it all the same to you? Take our <b>poll</b> on the left side of this page and let us know.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1410364600
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 10 Sep 2014, 17:42

It's funny how my spending habits for games have changed over time.

In the 90s my bank account was empty and I would spend over $50 on games (that was the price back then, and used games were not really an option for the PC) and play them for months. Even the ones I didn't really like.

Today I have a much better financial situation, yet I buy most of my games on sale at $5 (on Xbox Live or Steam, some retail some digital), and very rarely go over $10. I play them for a few weeks only in most cases, unless I aim for a completion. There are several games that I bought and never played, and possibly never will.

So I fit quite well with the survey population I guess.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 11 Sep 2014, 00:31

I bought MMX legacy; being in the US a digital copy was all that was available. I did pay for a DVD backup copy, which I received for the pre-release version but I never got the actual game disc backup. I bought it to support the MM line. It will be last time I pay full price for a digital copy. The price difference for the download should be considerably less than what is charged for a physical copy. This is not typically the case. In the case of UBI, the fact NA does not get the physical copy is beyond belief. I got the physical copy of Heroes V and HOF; so what happened. For that reason alone in the future I will wait for their digital products to be available on GOG. So I guess I am also with the main survey population.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 11 Sep 2014, 16:46

If the digital version cost less, I would be more than happy to only buy digital ones. Unfortunately, this is rarely -if ever- the case. However I don't buy games from local stores because they're usually overpriced. I often buy physical copies online from the UK. Even with the shipping costs they're still cheaper. It's easier to find them on sale, too, even if they've recently been released.

VMmage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby VMmage » 13 Sep 2014, 00:52

I used to buy retail games, often on sale, sometimes at full price. Today, I buy *NOTHING* at full price. I still haven't purchased Heroes 6, I can wait for it to come to Good Old Games (if it never does, I'm OK with that, too). I expect the same will be true for Heroes 7 (unless a family member decides to buy it for me as a present).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Sep 2014, 09:16

Perhaps this will cause prices to increase? Producers could speculate in the shoppers' will to buy something on sale, and bump up the price in order to make more money when they eventually drop it by a certain percentage. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “News”