Re: HoMM7 Keyart

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 31 Aug 2014, 03:42

triple post :(

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

HoMM7 Keyart

Unread postby vicheron » 31 Aug 2014, 08:26

@ Kalah: So if you went to see a movie and it turns out to be terrible, would you not complain because you can't direct/write/produce a movie?

As for the art, how about actually showing the main character commanding an army in battle or overseeing the building of a city instead of just blankly staring out? These wallpapers from Heroes 6 are more interesting:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm6/ ... lpaper.jpg
https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm6/ ... battle.jpg
https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm6/ ... rtwork.jpg

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

HoMM7 Keyart

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Aug 2014, 09:27

I would complain, but I would probably not imply that I could do better. Besides, you didn't pay for this art. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

HoMM7 Keyart

Unread postby hellegennes » 31 Aug 2014, 12:29

@JSE: So, did you complain before, that none of the previous posters was anything like the thing you describe? The only one that comes close is the H3 box but most units are too small. So, your idea of what the box of a Heroes games should look like is a bit close to one out of NWC's nine releases (four games plus expansions).

And I don't understand what you mean when you talk about "story-driven game" and no character being "integral to the game". Why does this matter? Had the H2 box featured Roland and Archibald, something tells me you would not have had any objections back then (not that it featured any battles, for that matter). Armageddon's Blade certainly did exactly that.

@mr.hackcrag: "I don't like that his art is done with realism"
Does any of you really remember previous Heroes games? Does the title "The Price of Loyalty" ring a bell?

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 01 Sep 2014, 01:48

You should quote the whole sentence instead of half of it.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

HoMM7 Keyart

Unread postby JSE » 01 Sep 2014, 02:57

@ hellegennes:

The Heroes 3 box illustration is *exactly* what I described. The other NWC Heroes games had more abstract cover motifs (a random knight hero, the Ironfist crest, and an arrangement of four town screens) -- none of them of outstanding quality but still done in their own unique style.

The above illustration for Heroes 7, however, disappoints both style-wise and content-wise: The style borrows heavily from fantasy movie aesthetics while the main motif is the close-up of an individual character. Both seem out-of-place for a Heroes game and instead very much resemble a movie poster (for a movie which relies mostly on its main actor).

The official illustrations vicheron listed would all make better Heroes covers in terms of arrangement and dynamics. Take the first (Necropolis) one for instance. Wouldn't a general design like that work well with Ivan standing on that rock. He could also be watching a big battle from a cliff or something like that. There are several good possibilities.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 01 Sep 2014, 03:54

The cover art "rage" might just be a proxy for a larger concern. One that was symbolically represented really well by the name change that occurred with the series - this isn't really homm any more; it's a homm clone. I've come to peace with that long ago. I'm still interested in the potential the newest installment might bring, but my expectations are where they should be, especially after seeing that painful demo video.

So strap yourself in for another "epic journey of some epic generic guy fighting sub-epic baddies on an epic quest to see who can epically shout 'Griffin Eternal' loudest!" 8|

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

HoMM7 Keyart

Unread postby hellegennes » 01 Sep 2014, 08:42

"this isn't really homm any more; it's a homm clone"

You really have no criteria to make that statement. You could have said it for H4 as well, for example. Whait is it that makes it not a Heroes game?

Return to “Screenshots”