Swordbearer, really?

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.

Is Swordbearer...

...an awful name!
24%
...a very awful name!
48%
...ok to me because i have no taste!
27%

Total votes: 33

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Aug 2014, 17:28

The looks feels like he is a Gladiator.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Aug 2014, 18:51

...which is basically just another word for swordbearer. :tongue:

How about Swordwielder? I mean, is this thread just about moaning about the name given so far, or actual ideas? I think we should steap away from the typical real-world crusade names. Serious proposals I could make are "fighter", "sword fighter" or simply "guard".
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 25 Aug 2014, 19:23

I think he should be called Ax Bearer

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 25 Aug 2014, 21:56

I like swordbearer.

Providing that swords are rare and special (For instance in a viking esk town the traditional weapons might be axes and the swordbearers may have big two-handed swords that are special and cool).

On the other hand if the guard or squire or a lower tier unit also has a sword the whole thing is ruined.

Personally I think swordbearer won't work even if no other units in the games have swords because we know from 5 and 6 that Haven does have sword wielding basic forces.

I would like to suggest something like Crest-knight though. (As in a Knight that bears one of the crests of the empire, e.g. Griffon, Stag, Falcon). It would be an in-game term rather than a real world one, but I'd like to see the haven fluff more represented in there line up (as opposed to just the holy/Elrath side of it)
~ Rapier.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Aug 2014, 14:24

Legionnaire?

I thought swordbearer so lame in comparison to the other unit of that tier. Although names are just names, it feels like naming one unit Rotten Skeleton while the other unit of the same tier is named Pristine Armored Fractal Ghoul.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 26 Aug 2014, 17:01

Legionnaire suggests that there is a "legion" of them. A unit with legion(1000) per week growth would be :S . Templar and crusader are IMO the best suggestions so far.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Aug 2014, 17:54

Crusader sounds like the obvious one to me. If it's not used by hero classes, that is.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 26 Aug 2014, 18:04

I don't nessecarily get the same Picture as Pitsu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionary (funny the Danish wiki is more describing than the English on this matter)
It does say that a legion is a unit of 4-6K soldiers, but you might also think of the legionaire, soldier: a Citizen who became a soldier at the age of 18-23. Free, but poor and landless. They signed contracts for 25 years. Now that could be a way to refer to/describe the way these swordbearers were hired and how their 'career' is.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 26 Aug 2014, 18:16

I thought a legionnaire is supposed to lead legions. :S

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Aug 2014, 20:02

No, a legion is made up of legionnaires. They were the basic heavy infantry troops, the backbone of the Roman armies. So sure enough, this role would suit a unit nicely. They had shields, though, so it would seem strange to me that a shieldless H7 unit was called this.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Aug 2014, 14:14

Waiting for the announcement of the one-horned horse and the flying equine. :-D

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 28 Aug 2014, 14:48

Panda Tar wrote:flying equine
Wow, that is really a great name, thanks for the suggestion!

...just kiddin' :devil:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Aug 2014, 16:30

:rofl:

MoNoXiDeBlue
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MoNoXiDeBlue » 31 Aug 2014, 03:23

Instead of Magic Bird you have.....Celestial Falcon/Hawk
Instead of Horseman you have.....Cavalier

I've always thought having a Cockatrice in this series would be cool.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 31 Aug 2014, 03:51

I thought it was a roc/thunderbird when I first saw it.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

some thoughts

Unread postby cjlee » 08 Sep 2014, 05:41

Now that Ubi seemt to have learned a thing or two in making H7 I am cautiously back and will be keeping a monthly eye on things. I don't hope for much. I don't game anymore so there is only one game that I want to see, Starcraft 3 Protoss expansion.

As for H7 I have lost so much interest that it will take a lot to convince me to come back. I don't intend to buy until after a few weeks have passed after launch date, bugs have been worked out, and Ubi's commitment to cure bugs has been made clear.

This is indeed a far cry from the glory days when I preordered every version/ expansion of H4 and H3.

I am not a worshipper of dragons and I didn't play the Dungeon/ Warlock faction much in previous versions of Heroes. But not having black dragons seems to turn most of the fantasy elements upside down. It shows that Ubisoft still has no idea how to make a fantasy game. These guys should stick to manufacturing things they understand, such as toilet paper.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Sep 2014, 13:36

If there was to be black dragons, might as well come in neutral alignment. Something truly strong, immune to magic; who was to convince and bound them under their services? Dark elves do not have anything in common with black dragons, imho, anything familiar, anything at all. I'm not also a fan of making that many dragons in a game. It looks like it diminishes their importance, makes them too common. There are lots of mythical, heraldic and other cultural beasts that can fit in all factions that repeating dragons doesn't feel right.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 08 Sep 2014, 14:11

Panda Tar wrote:If there was to be black dragons, might as well come in neutral alignment. Something truly strong, immune to magic; who was to convince and bound them under their services? Dark elves do not have anything in common with black dragons, imho, anything familiar, anything at all. I'm not also a fan of making that many dragons in a game. It looks like it diminishes their importance, makes them too common. There are lots of mythical, heraldic and other cultural beasts that can fit in all factions that repeating dragons doesn't feel right.
Black Dragons are the children of Malassa, they help those who serve her.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Sep 2014, 14:57

Mirez wrote: Black Dragons are the children of Malassa, they help those who serve her.
Oh, yes... I never seem to remember the lores of the last games. I'll never feel them as the 'official' thing anyway.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 10 Dec 2014, 18:02

Swordwielder would definitely be better than swordbearer. The latter makes me think of someone who is basically carrying equipment for a soldier, like a golf caddy.

Return to “Heroes VII”