Heroes VII Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby JSE » 14 Aug 2014, 01:05

@grendel99:
While I'm certainly flattered that I could contribute to your excitement, please also consider the fact that all these things that we like about Heroes 7 so far are elements that were in the series before -- up until the disaster that was Heroes 6. From what I've seen and read of Heroes 7 so far, it seems very much like a Heroes 5 with more modern graphics and a different storyline. And to me at least, that's no reason for excitement. Ubisoft has to do more than just deliver another Heroes 5. Heroes 5 already was a watered-down clone of Heroes 3, and the last thing I want to see is the clone of a clone of a great game!

MoNoXiDeBlue
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby MoNoXiDeBlue » 14 Aug 2014, 01:50

I personally voted at the MMH7 site. Do you suppose any of the developers read any of the comments on that page? Do you think they just count up the tally and that's it? It's rhetorical question honestly, unless someone actually knows for fact.

MoNoXiDeBlue
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby MoNoXiDeBlue » 14 Aug 2014, 02:01

Does anyone miss the Rampart faction?
Edited on Wed, Aug 13 2014, 22:03 by MoNoXiDeBlue

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby loran16 » 14 Aug 2014, 02:35

Very disappointed that only one of Inferno/Dungeon would make it - both are more significant than Stronghold (Logicly you'd do one of stronghold/fortress instead of sylvan/fortress)

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby theGryphon » 14 Aug 2014, 02:59

Unreal Engine 3. Does it mean HVII will be native Linux?
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

MoNoXiDeBlue
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby MoNoXiDeBlue » 14 Aug 2014, 03:00

We get a great comment like this from Slyskill:

"Ubisoft, please, give us a RANDOM MAP GENERATOR for Heores VII and you will not be forgotten!"

And then we get a moronic response from Amadeus42:

"Why all want's it? Random map generation is not bad , but for what? I know one - Ubisoft, dont do map creator for users, DONT PLS, I never dont like it in other games..."

Isn't that wonderful?

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby vicheron » 14 Aug 2014, 04:22

By these dildos, our alliance is forged.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Avonu » 14 Aug 2014, 04:46

MoNoXiDeBlue wrote:>>>Does anyone miss the Rampart faction?
Not at all. However I miss Sorceress Town from HoMM1-2. :P
loran16 wrote:>>>Very disappointed that only one of Inferno/Dungeon would make it - both are more significant than Stronghold (Logicly you'd do one of stronghold/fortress instead of sylvan/fortress)
But as far as I know, Stronghold is favourite faction of Erwan "rush now, think later" Le Breton, so it's "must be". :P

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Ryder » 14 Aug 2014, 06:10

Now I have not liked the previous two titles one iota. I feel like hurting people just thinking about how crap H6 is. Some of the stuff JSE has mentioned from the article sounds promising. Any mention of the mage guild been reintroduced as a structure and not skill based? If it's skill based magic again then there is going to be trouble.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 14 Aug 2014, 06:31

I think I read about mage guilds return and 6 schools of magic somewhere yesterday.

Fuddelbaerentatze
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Fuddelbaerentatze » 14 Aug 2014, 09:55

"Unreal Engine 3. Does it mean HVII will be native Linux?"

Afaik there was never a Linux version of UE3 released, although there was a plan for Linux version when they started to market their Engine. Unfortunately the linux version did not happen. I Guess Wine will probably be the only way for Linux users.

Unreal Engine 4 on the other hand has Linux support, but I guess they decided to use UE3 because of lower license costs and lower target system specs. But always look on the bright side of life: UE3 toolkit can be used with no license cost at all for noprofit projects if I understodd correctly what I read. Therefor H7 could become very modder friendly beyond whatever the editor will be capable of / allow us to do.

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Blake » 14 Aug 2014, 13:40

cool pics on that german site

almost seems like they've got that Heroes 3 'clay graphics' thing going on which is a nice touch

http://www.gamestar.de/_misc/images/ori ... pk=2497079
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Aug 2014, 14:34

Yes, we will also feature some of those pictures later, in our POTD feature.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 14 Aug 2014, 14:45

This is excellent news, and I like what little information that has been released. Though I agree they should've made the Orcs votable and Sylvan a default faction.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Troller » 14 Aug 2014, 17:02

There is an article with some images on Joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/14/givin ... c-heroes-7

In short no console, magic is being seperated from skills, seven resources and squares not hexagons for battles...

Edited on Thu, Aug 14 2014, 13:21 by Troller

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Aug 2014, 17:16

Avonu wrote:> You probably don't recognize it if you are not from Poland, but the painting at Shadow Council:
Excuuuuse me! The guy on the right is Vytautas Didysis, the Grand Duke of Lithuania! So of course we Lithuanians recognise it too :p Actually, from that angle it wasn't very obvious it was that painting in particular, but the style of Matejko is very easy to tell even fromt hat bit.
Fuddelbaerentatze wrote:> Afaik there was never a Linux version of UE3 released, although there was a plan for Linux version when they started to market their Engine. Unfortunately the linux version did not happen. I Guess Wine will probably be the only way for Linux users.
True, although there were individual team efforts to make some games have a native port. However, their work is not in the mainline Unreal Engine 3, so Ubisoft would have to do all that porting work from scratch... Which isn't likely to happen, given that Limbic is already complaining about money.
Fuddelbaerentatze wrote:> Unreal Engine 4 on the other hand has Linux support, but I guess they decided to use UE3 because of lower license costs and lower target system specs. But always look on the bright side of life: UE3 toolkit can be used with no license cost at all for noprofit projects if I understodd correctly what I read. Therefor H7 could become very modder friendly beyond whatever the editor will be capable of / allow us to do.
Not true, Unreal Engine 4 costs way less for game creators (merely $20/person + 5% of sales) than Unreal Engine 3. And while the UDK is free and is based on UE3, the UDK isn't compatible with actual UE3 games, so Ubisoft would have to put effort into releasing an editor. Same thing with UE4, its license does not forbid releasing the editor as far as I know, but they would still have to add effort into making it work with their game.

UE4 also does not have any higher target specs than UE3. Quite the opposite, UE4 powers some Android games. It's super scalable, even more than UE3 was.

So, in the end, UE3 was probably chosen because someone already had a subscription, or if the development started before UE4 was available. There's no other reasonable explanation for it.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Znork » 14 Aug 2014, 18:25

Well the art style is still based on the h5 work Nival did. Griffin empire was is still based on east European feel.
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 14 Aug 2014, 18:26

It is probably more likely that a RMG will be available than a campaign editor. While that strategy will prevent me buying the game; I at least understand it.

The younger the target audience, the less likely you will find players that want to invest the large amount of time it takes to create a quality campaign. I say campaign because I feel that is what is required to have an epic storyline. Several players have created memorable single map RPG like stories; so I am not ignoring them.

My feeling is the modern generation player wants to set a few parameters have the computer produce a map that they can play quickly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Unfortunately the lesson UBI has not learned is the longevity of the game is directly tied to fan made maps and campaigns. Despite two failures, yes I call H-5 a failure because of its powerful but poorly executed editor, I have no reason to believe UBI will correct this error.

Please stop blaming the studios that UBI hired to produce the previous games. I am ex-military and firmly believe you can delegate authority, but you cannot delegate responsibility. UBI cannot hide behind the excuse well so and so actually created game. Wrong it is UBI's game; if its screwed up, blame UBI.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Heroes VII Announced

Unread postby Znork » 14 Aug 2014, 18:37

"In addition, one of the main parts of our vision for this new Heroes title is to empower our players wherever we can. To do so we have designed powerful yet accessible tools to put at their disposal. Our fans have repeatedly requested these features, and we consider these tools as being part of meeting their expectations."

[Stephan]
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 14 Aug 2014, 19:23

Znork wrote:"In addition, one of the main parts of our vision for this new Heroes title is to empower our players wherever we can. To do so we have designed powerful yet accessible tools to put at their disposal. Our fans have repeatedly requested these features, and we consider these tools as being part of meeting their expectations."

[Stephan]
Promises during H6 development sounded even better:
Yes, we plan to ship it with the map editor included. Our goal was to make it hard-coded meaning no scripts needed (unlike in Heroes V mapeditor). Our main priority at the moment is to make it user-friendly. We might add a campaign editor later, and about the random map generator: its too early to talk about it.

Return to “News”