Serious Idea for Equilibrus

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
Big J Money
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Serious Idea for Equilibrus

Unread postby Big J Money » 30 Apr 2006, 04:12

I don't know if this is in the spirit of Equilibrus or not, but an idea struck me like a lightning bolt. Why don't you guys add the ability to pick spells upon levelling up the mage's tower structure? If that's too much, then allow the player to pick one spell of the next level that she would like to have. This would only apply for the main structure, not the tertiary structures.

I know you guys have added pop ups for other things in the game, so I think this one is probably doable. What do you think? Do you think you might consider adding this feature to an Equilibrius release? If not a single player option, how about as a multi player option?

=$= Big J Money =$=

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Apr 2006, 04:30

Although this seems like a good idea,I think it would be overpowering.Especially in MP.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 30 Apr 2006, 05:53

I would love anything that reduces randomness in the game. This is one such idea. If it's doable I believe it would add to the strategy feeling in the game.
But I think one spell per level is the best thing to do.

@ DL
What's overpowering? Everyone will have the same option (not AI though). This would overpower better players only, which is smth good, don't you think?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 30 Apr 2006, 05:57

No,because everyone will follow the same path,and some schools will become way better then the rest.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 30 Apr 2006, 15:09

First, I don't think everyone will follow the same path.
Second, if you think this will make a particular guild better than others (I suppose you mean Order), then it should be stronger even now. Then we should discuss if this is the case.

Open question to all:
Do you think the best spell combination for a faction together with the faction's other parameters (hero and creature strengths, etc.) is definitely better than those of another faction? If your answer is yes, then there is already a balance problem.

My answer is no. Therefore, the proposed idea does not disturb balance IMO.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 30 Apr 2006, 16:14

i agree with DL, it'll make some schools way a lot better, e.g always getting summon leprechaun and water elemental when you want
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

iKossu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iKossu » 01 May 2006, 08:26

Sounds ok to me, you can't have every spell anyhow in one castle. There's just 2 problems:

1) The gap between Might and the other "factions" would get ever more deeper.
- This could be prevented if the spell selecting costs gold. But that would mean that the adventure map Conservatorios would get partially obsolete, don't ya think?

2) AI might not know how to exploit this spell selecting: the gap between human players and AI players would get deeper.
- Changes in AI would fix this.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 May 2006, 09:10

KonserniJohtaja wrote: - Changes in AI would fix this.
Not likely to happen.The equi team are geniuses,but they arent wizards :(

Big J Money
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Big J Money » 05 May 2006, 19:51

@DaemianLucifer
I disagree. First of all, Equilibris has balanced the schools. If one is "way better" than another one (which none are), then all this would do is point out which one so it can be fixed. But since this problem is imaginary(1) all I can say is that the opposite is true. That's the reason why I suggested making it multiplayer only. It sucks when one person gets spell picks that don't match their strategy/circumstances and another person gets favorable ones. This way, everyone can choose at least one spell they are comfortable with and rest assured they can use it on their foes.

@KonsernJohtaja
I have to sadly agree with number #2. Giving the player the choice to pick one spell per spell level would create something of a schism between the player and AI. However, there is a catch: What about the times we've played the game and gotten, by chance, exactly the spells we wanted? Should we have restarted the game because we had an unfair edge versus the AI? Also, I did suggest making it a multiplayer only option.

In my opinion, randomness can be good in games, but only in the right places. When it comes to customizing or creating your in game avatar (player, town, hero, monster, whatever...) I think randomness is badly implemented. When it comes to battle or treasure, however, randomness can be a good thing to keep the game from being the same every time. That's just an opinion, though.

=$=

1 -- BenchBreaker proved this by having such a poor opinion on what spells are the best. If I could choose what spells I got, they would not be those two. Just kidding, BM. ;) The point is, everyone would have a unique preference as to what spells they find to be "necessary" for them to win.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 May 2006, 22:05

Big J Money wrote: 1 -- BenchBreaker proved this by having such a poor opinion on what spells are the best. If I could choose what spells I got, they would not be those two. Just kidding, BM. ;) The point is, everyone would have a unique preference as to what spells they find to be "necessary" for them to win.
Considering the other alternatives of nature magic at those levels, the two spells he picked aren't that bad- not my first picks, but quite possibly second or third.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

timagalant
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Wards?

Unread postby timagalant » 04 Jun 2006, 18:49

But don't you think that if your allignment is life, and you know you're fighting a particular fraction, you'll ALWAYS choose the Mass Ward against that fraction? And that would be pretty damn overpowering to life, imo.

Return to “Equilibris”