Contributing to Celestial Heavens Wiki

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Jul 2012, 14:40

Warning: "Please no edits on the wiki from 8th July. Cause starting from 9th to 12th July the wiki will be moved back to CH main server. The current site allows one day back backup, so you would lost your one day work."

I don't wont to lock it now and I cannot lock it with one day advance, as I will be out till 9th July.

Just a note. :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 07 Jul 2012, 13:43

I have descided to use the last day before the Wiki moves to create a purposal for a MaM VI monster pahga standard
You can find the page fallowing this link
http://wiki.celestialheavens.com/w/inde ... VI_Monster

You have time to coment until the 12th July when the Wiki is back to full function and the adding of all 52 Monsters will start

(Note I plan to add all 4 types of Peasants into one categorie, Also I plan to do the same With Cannibals and Devils. Please state your opinion on this fact.)
Last edited by Dave_Jame on 07 Jul 2012, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2012, 17:05

Pol wrote:Warning: "Please no edits on the wiki from 8th July. Cause starting from 9th to 12th July the wiki will be moved back to CH main server. The current site allows one day back backup, so you would lost your one day work."

I don't wont to lock it now and I cannot lock it with one day advance, as I will be out till 9th July.

Just a note. :devious:
If i was going to do enough work to actually care about losing it i'm pretty sure i would back it up in a .txt file...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jul 2012, 17:14

Dead link there. Also, it's supposed to be "MM6", not "MMVI" (Might and Magic: Vide Infra?).

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 07 Jul 2012, 17:48

I reall have a Hell of a problem with linking pages with brackets in them. Just do not know how to make them work.

Pol Told me how to do it, but his way does not work sofa either.

The Link has been corrected BTW so you can see it and coment on it now.

@ GreatEmerald. I Usually use greek numbers when I talk abou any Might and Magic game (Heroes III, MaM IX etc.) I made this a standard in this project. All pages linked from the List are in the form "Name_(MMVI_Monster)". If it is a problem I can rename the links to MM6, Most of them do not exist yet and the few that do can be moved.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jul 2012, 19:29

It is a problem, because while it's true that the full name is "Might and Magic VI", its abbreviation is "MM6", as otherwise it would be ambiguous. Writing a digit in the Arabic form makes it clear that the number is indeed a number, and not several words that are parts of the abbreviation.

As for the article, there is a set of language mistakes. "Largest" has a capital letter for no apparent reason, "th" should be "the", "represent" -> "represents", "threath" -> "threat", "strenght" -> "strength" (inaudible t, therefore doesn't end with the letter t), "Affraid" -> "Afraid", "Resistences" -> "Resistances", "rising his age" -> "increasing his age"/"ageing", "until the number of years does not get to high" -> "until the number of years gets too high"/"while the number of years does not get too high", "his basic statistic begin to lower" -> "his/her primary statistics get lowered"/"the character's primary statistics get lowered", "Spectra" -> "Specter", "batle" -> "battle", "reducing this way the general survivability" -> "therefore reducing the general survivability", "Special Efect" -> "Special Effect".

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 07 Jul 2012, 21:10

Thank you GreatEmerald. I made the grammer corrections you pointed out, and I will rename the links as soon as the Wiki will be back in full form.

Just one question, do you have any specific problems with the form of the page or its content. Something that should be left out, added in, or do you think its OK?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Jul 2012, 05:29

Hmm, well, it generally looks fine, although one thing that would greatly increase the efficiency of writing such articles and make for easy editing of them all at once is to create a template for all the stats. Those tables don't look all that good, but it's something that could be fixed later, and with templates it would be a breeze. For instance, like this:
http://wiki.celestialheavens.com/w/inde ... t_%28H1%29
This is the template of that information box, you can use it to create another one for MM creatures:
http://wiki.celestialheavens.com/w/inde ... ureInfobox

A few more things to correct in your article:
The headings "Rumors about Ghosts" and "Characteristics of the Ghost" are redundant, as the whole page is about them. Shorten them to "Rumors" and "Characteristics" respectively.
"Inhapitates" -> "Habitat"
And finally, you might want to add some more links, such as linking the works "Skeleton" and "Lich".

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 08 Jul 2012, 07:03

Ok. So thing that I will change begining with the 12th July are:
- Page naming (from Greek numbers to Arabic)
- Headings and Subhadings
- Links to other pages (Like Liches, Skeletons, MaM VI)

What I do have a problem with is the infobox. I do not want the pages to end up as the Ghost H1 page you posted. Just a tall Infobox and nothing more. The Info box doesn't even tel you about its special ability (funny that there is a row for it in the Template) or that they can be easily killed with a special spell. Their is no text on the page part from the info box. Which I think is bad. Just look at the H3 Necropolis page, Shure it will give you the information but it does not give you any information about the faction itself. There are no things around the faction, only what it consist about.
The second problem I have with infoboxes (apart from them being often the only content of the page) is, that they make the page to long and not disparated. For an example of this just look at the Priest of Baa page in MaM VI. Each of the Images is a par of the individual subheadings, but they do not stand next to them, One part of my template for the monsters pages is the number of lines I have to write to make the pictures stand next to the Subheading they belong to.
The final problem I deal with is the number 3. Each creatures has 3 forms in MaM 6-8 games. Using 3x 15-line infoboxes on each page would just make them to damned long. Sure I could make an individual page for each of the froms, but that would make the current 54 pages into more then 180. I also feel that it would make the structure of the Wiki to complicated (more then it is now).

I know that the tables are not the best solution but I do not see the Infoboxes as a solution either, So Until I found one, I plan to use them.

But the topic is still open, please discuss it. My point of view ca be chaged very fast if it encounters an interesting purposal :-).

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Jul 2012, 07:41

Well, the Ghost page there is obviously unfinished, it should never be just an infobox without any meaningful text. As a matter of fact, there should be enough text to make the infobox not look too long.

Of course, there is another option, in the form of this:
http://wiki.celestialheavens.com/w/inde ... aturestats
You could adapt this to match MM creatures, too.

Another possibility is a combination of the two, as the infoboxes don't necessarily have to have two columns. If the icons used are small enough, you can fit several of them into a single row.

Dave_Jame
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dave_Jame » 08 Jul 2012, 08:09

OK.. this is managable.. I wil try to to create something like this in the free days.

There might be a problem with Icons. I can use the interface icons to represent 5 out of the 6 resistances, and the Shiled spell interface icon for Phsical resistance

The problem might be with the number of thing that the table should have.

At this moment I work with
HP
AC
Tresuer
Exp.
Atta1
Atta 2
Spell Atta
Speci. Ability
Res (6x times)

The treasure part can be left out. and put into the general description of the monster
HP, AC, Exp and Res. can be made into one taple.
Attacks amd Spc into a second one.
Ill look into the source files to see what I can find.

Wizard of Soz
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wizard of Soz » 15 Jul 2014, 17:10

Hi guys

Sorry to dig this thread up from the past, but what is happening with this wiki? I was initially coming here to see if anyone would be interested in writing for the http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
but if there is already one on Celestial Heavens then I think we might be able to merge the content of the 2 somehow, probably amalgamating it on the CH wiki.

If the CH wiki is not coming back is anyone interested in helping on the wikia version?
At the moment this wikia has only a few people working on it so its nowhere near up to date. But with more people we could speed up this process and I can get back to doing what I love, finding obscure things and making articles on them (like Chitchat island):P

As Dave_Jame said I think its a shame that for such a large franchise we have little in the way of an archive of knowledge.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Jul 2014, 18:11

However our plan stay, the wiki will be returned.

Please understood, the sole reason to get it from the wikia was that you are forbidden to any deeper changes and as well you're not owner of the content - wikia is.

The sad thing is that I now don't have any decent place to deploy it and CH itself, where is space aplenty, is not technically ready. When this situation resolve I don't know. Neither I can sponzor any other hosting in the meantime. It's a pitty, truly.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Wizard of Soz
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Wizard of Soz » 16 Jul 2014, 18:40

Yeah, Wikia does have a lot of downsides, and I see many a people moving away from it to set up sites elsewhere. These sites usually end up the ones being referenced by the Developers as they are more popular with the community. So ideally we would use this site as the main one and move stuff from the wikia and concentrate efforts here.

I am afraid I don't understand the process of setting up wikis so I can't be any help here. I shall try and do a bit of research before I get back to you so I can understand the problem a bit more.

How big did this wiki get before it went down? Does it have a lot of overlap with the stuff on the wikia?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Contributing to Celestial Heavens Wiki

Unread postby Pol » 31 Dec 2016, 20:01

The wiki was reopened and I'm looking for contributors to keep it up to date. There will be official announcement shortly.

If you don't have account here, send me PM and I will create a new one for you, or confirm your old account from wikia and if you weren't here from that time, I will create a new password!

Happy New Year!
"We made it!"

Return to “Campfire”