The Football (Soccer) Topic

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Jun 2014, 15:59

Germany and USA will start their match now. Although it's likely both of them to keep going on this World Cup, even the powerful Germany can fall, depending on the results between Portugal and Gana. Some unlikely results, but not impossible.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jun 2014, 11:12

It was a good match. :)
Given the result in the other match, both USA and Germany are through to the next round. It's the second WC in a row the US have qualified under Klinsmann, that's a record. I dig that guy. :-D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Jun 2014, 13:44

Klinsmann is German, right? When I heard his name the first time, something recalled in my memory of some other World Cup, then I guessed that even I, who is not someone truly attached to football, keep certain info on that subject no matter what. The funny part is that I dreamt of a football match this night...oh, boy, what's happening to me. The team I was rooting for, dunno which one, scored 10 x 4, something like that.

And tomorrow, Brazil's playing Chile. I'll be going out with my friends to Balneário Camboriu to watch that match while we lunch, before going watching a Bodybuilding Contest on that same city, checking on some friends who will be competing.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jun 2014, 17:25

Not only is he German, the current Germany coach (Joachim Löw) was his protégé. :D

He was a bit of a hero of mine, actually. One of the players who could be seen to really use his brain when playing (sort of like van Persie when he scored his special header).
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Jun 2014, 16:13

Brazil vs. Chile. The show is on. Thousands of fans screaming and cheering constantly. Amazing atmosphere. :-D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Jun 2014, 18:58

What an amazing match for the neutral! :) With the first match in the playoffs, we also got the first penalty shootout! :-D

Brazil were expected to demolish little Chile, but despite astounding support from the rafters, they were held to the finish by the hard-working minnows. 1-1 after full time, everybody looked incredibly tired and only a couple of big chances arose in the extra time. Chile had the biggest; a hard shot hitting the crossbar 15 seconds before the end. Basically, Brazil were 5 inches away from being knocked out. 8|

The shootout: Julio Cesar with two good saves. Brazil with one missed and one saved. The very last shot by Chile's Gonzalo Jara hit the inside of the post and out, causing the whole of Brazil to draw a collective sigh; they’re through. Just.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Jun 2014, 01:57

I lost the second half and the rest of the match. I was on the road. When we arrived there, we tried to watch the game, but their connection was so damn bad that we just saw glimpses of the game. We learned that Brazil won by listening to a little radio device. Almost 1000 people cheering after that. ^^

And Colômbia sent the biting team away too.

I'm curious about tomorrow. First game might be an awesome one.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Jun 2014, 18:03

And it was. Even in the heat in Fortaleza, The Netherlands managed to turn the game over at the end. People here said that Mexico lost when their coach switched an offensive to a defensive player at the start of the second half, when it was not necessary, in an attempt to preserve 1x0. Too bad, coach.

Now, Costa Rica and Greece are to play. I think, in spite of all skill Costa Rica is showing, that Greece will win.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Jun 2014, 20:47

I think/hope the opposite.

But the matches are closer than you'd expect. Mexico too deserved a win, or at least a draw. Then Robben got that cheap penalty at the end and their adventure is over.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Jun 2014, 22:57

Oh, good for Costa Rica. Playing with 10 players for so long, survived the game, then, deserved that win. The Netherlands vs Costa Rica next friday.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Jun 2014, 22:58

I was right! :D
Another good match with lots of nerve; the Greeks equalized in overtime and the extra time went by with the score still at 1-1. Penalties! I disagree with Platini; it's a great way to decide a match in a tournament - so much excitement and drama. A great save by Navas on the fourth penalty, and he was the best player on the pitch throughout the match. Costa Rica are through! :-D

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 07 Jul 2014, 21:54

Kalah wrote:I was right! :D
Another good match with lots of nerve; the Greeks equalized in overtime and the extra time went by with the score still at 1-1. Penalties! I disagree with Platini; it's a great way to decide a match in a tournament - so much excitement and drama. A great save by Navas on the fourth penalty, and he was the best player on the pitch throughout the match. Costa Rica are through! :-D
Well, Platini is of that opinion because it's kind of unfair. The Greeks played so much better. They would almost certainly lose in the next round, but who cares? Nevertheless, it's the first time ever for the Greek team to be in the round of 16. The first time we ever played in the World Cup (1994) we were eliminated in the first round, after scoring 0 goals and having a record-breaking 10 GA. I think to this day no one has been able to beat this negative record.

I really liked the performance of the US team in this tournament. Klinsmann did a hell of a job. He is one of my favourite players of all time and it seems that he is a great coach too. I would like to see Americans starting to have a love affair with the king of sports and that can only be achieved with victories. Until then, Europe remains the main viewing audience.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Jul 2014, 22:42

hellegennes wrote:The Greeks played so much better.
No. If they had, they would have won. :tongue:
I really believe that, btw. If a team holds another team to a draw, that means they were equally good on that match. Failing to score and being held off are two sides of the same coin. :)
hellegennes wrote:I really liked the performance of the US team in this tournament. Klinsmann did a hell of a job. He is one of my favourite players of all time and it seems that he is a great coach too.
Agreed! :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Jul 2014, 01:14

AAAAAAnd tomorrow Brazil faces Germany. Really hardcore.

A pity Neymar got injured that way. Alas, that might even help the spirit side of the team, who knows.

And I AM TOTALLY 'THE NETHERLANDS' while facing Argentina. Go, oranges! :applause:

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 08 Jul 2014, 02:21

Kalah wrote:
hellegennes wrote:The Greeks played so much better.
No. If they had, they would have won. :tongue:
I really believe that, btw. If a team holds another team to a draw, that means they were equally good on that match. Failing to score and being held off are two sides of the same coin. :)
That's not exactly true. Scoring is a matter of luck in many instances; hitting the post*, slightly bouncing off a player that happened to just touch the ball, etc. If a team has 20 final attempts and the other has 4 and it's a draw it's most likely that the first team was unlucky. The same goes for defence. You may be lucky, being in the right place at the right time (since the ball's trajectory is not that much predictable at all times) or unlucky (that's how own goals are scored).

* Here's one uber-extreme example:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/ ... four-video

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 08 Jul 2014, 07:35

4 possible finals (and my prognosis of chances in percent):

Brasil - Argentina (30)
Brasil - Netherlands (10)
Argentina - Germany (40)
Netherlands - Germany (20)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 08 Jul 2014, 08:45

Koni wrote:Netherlands - Germany (20)
I don't know why, but I think this one will come true.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 08 Jul 2014, 09:23

My gut tells me that it will be Brasil against the Netherlands.

I hope that the Netherlands gets to win this time around. It's about time. It will be incredibly sexy to see them winning against Germany, after losing in the finals to West Germany in 1974 (having beaten East Germany in the previous round). However, I do think that Brasil will be in the finals.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Jul 2014, 11:26

I'm thinking a repeat of the '90 final; Brazil won't win without their captain and most prolific goalscorer, while Argentina are on a high and will probably go all the way to the final. So I'm thinking...

Germany - Argentina

On the other hand, the Netherlands are also on a real high after winning that penalty shootout...

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 08 Jul 2014, 13:52

Kalah wrote:I'm thinking a repeat of the '90 final; Brazil won't win without their captain and most prolific goalscorer, while Argentina are on a high and will probably go all the way to the final. So I'm thinking...

Germany - Argentina
I hope not. Both teams are terrible this year. They are a shadow of their former self.

Return to “Campfire”