The Football (Soccer) Topic

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Finnish sports fans in Brazil!

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 17 Jun 2014, 17:00

In case you missed this:

https://twitter.com/JTPoni23/status/477 ... 64/photo/1

Here you have it - proof that we Finns are taking seriously our pledge to come to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil to cheer for our team. ;)

Absolutely priceless!!

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 17 Jun 2014, 23:26

Panda Tar wrote: I am one that enjoys a good match. I feel tainted if ever my team wins a game by playing badly or due referee's mistakes.
Seems like we have some of that in the Brazil vs. Croatia and England vs. Italy (or is it Portugal vs. Germany) game although they may not necessarily affect the outcome.

TBH, what baffles me about sports events like Worldcup and Olympics is that referees often can get away with bad rulings and corruption.
P.S.: and it all depends on which forefathers you mean. The Netherlands, Germany, Italy...could also take that spot.
Same can be said about almost every New World country where many are mutts. However, Portuguese probably still have predominant influence since that's also the country's official language.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Jun 2014, 13:13

Brazil - Mexico ended 0-0 but was actually a great game. Ochoa was awesome; I've bought him for my FM team. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2014, 13:18

Yesterday's match was appalling. Not because it was a draw, but because Brazilian team didn't play. I think it was a fair result.

Regarding bad ruling and corruption, that's the main reason I stopped watching football back in 1998. I'm watching these days because the timing is ok to watch, in the middle of the afternoon and during the time we should be working (having time off).

They say that Brazil has bought this Cup to win. Judging our current government and their historic for corruption and dictatorship disguised as ill democracy, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all arranged already. I do hope though, because hope is what's left, that it was not.

And today, we'll have some INTERESTING matches.

Australia vs The Netherlands (I'm rooting for the Netherlands, although I sympathize with the Aussies hoho) (NAILED IT)

Spain vs Chile (Chile must win. I don't fancy Spain much - or their coach) (NAILED IT)

Cameroon vs Croatia (I liked the Croatian team - also because I'd like to see them going farther than Mexico hoho)
Last edited by Panda Tar on 18 Jun 2014, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2014, 13:19

Kalah wrote:Brazil - Mexico ended 0-0 but was actually a great game. Ochoa was awesome; I've bought him for my FM team. ;)
Did you like that match? I thought it was so bad. Not because the Mexican goalkeeper blocked many goals, but the game itself was not fluid. Mexico played better on the second half.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Jun 2014, 14:18

It was a good match because of all the chances created, and Mexico's occasional visits. For the last half hour I couldn't wait to see ... "will Brazil finally score or will Mexico maybe get a goal on a counter attack?"

If Mexico had scored, that match would have taken off completely; the Brazilians going all-out attack to score ...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2014, 14:24

Ah, but I think the teams created poorly. In spite of all the chances to score, the ball was pinging to and fro, not being passed skilfully, imho. And I was really expecting Mexico to score any time soon, mostly to push my team into a playing frenzy. Some people I know simply slept in the second half due boredom. hoho

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Jun 2014, 16:23

Awesome goal by Tim Cahill just now. Holland scored first, but they're not playing as well as the did against Spain ...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2014, 16:32

Well, Australia is playing nicely. :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Jun 2014, 19:46

Spain are on their way out of the World Cup after only two matches. I should have put some money on that before the championship; I'd have been rich.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Jun 2014, 19:54

I'm lovin' it. :applause:

If Brazil keeps going, it'll likely be facing either The Netherlands or Chile. And I'm OK with that. Spain shall not pass.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Jun 2014, 20:34

Great goal by England just now - one of the best so far in the Championship; a great team effort with hard work and good movement. It was also Rooney's first ever World Cup goal and I think he's earned it. He was absolutely rubbish in WC 2010, but this year he's been working hard.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 20 Jun 2014, 13:25

Well, England now depends on Italy winning and also their own positive result in the last match if they want to stay in this Cup.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 20 Jun 2014, 20:41

Given that Costa Rica ended up winning against Italy (which was outplayed fairly), England is no more. Costa Rica which came as a team people thought wouldn't score a single point. Now it's the top scorer in their group. Go figure. :D

And France...! I'm not fond of the French team, but they are performing a perfect match today. Even losing a penalty, they still scored so many times over Switzerland. The Arena Fonte Nova stadium is being the host of games of many goals.

As I write, it's 5x1 for France.

P.S.: 5 x 2. Nice goal!

P.S.S.: 6 x 2. OMG. :applause:

P.S.S.S.: 5 x 2. Goal was not valid. Referee has just finished the game 1 second before the score...bad referee judgement, imho.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 21 Jun 2014, 19:20

France did not surrender. What a surprise!

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Jun 2014, 21:05

Argentina almost didn't win.

Germany couldn't win against Gana either. Gana almost got the match.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jun 2014, 10:59

This championship is full of examples of teams beating supposed favourites by hard work and sacrifice. :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jun 2014, 20:33

South Korea vs. Algeria - awesome match! What started as African dominance now turned into a real match, as the Koreans reduced to 2-4 (goals galore! :-D) with 15 minutes of play left. Entertainment value: good. :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Jun 2014, 23:41

And now Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo are about to be eliminated by the underdogs USA, managed by the German (and my striker idol) Jürgen Klinsmann. :-D

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 23 Jun 2014, 03:15

This World Cup is having some interesting results. Tomorrow Brazil has to beat Cameroon. I'm also expecting Croatia to eliminate Mexico.

Return to “Campfire”