The Football (Soccer) Topic

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 03 Jun 2014, 13:50

Panda Tar wrote:I hope some foreign beautiful chicks come over. :-D
It's soccer.. Expect balding men with beer-bellies :D
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 03 Jun 2014, 13:59

Noooooooo... :(

:beg:
:thinking:

P.S.: what the heck is written on them?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 Jun 2014, 06:54

One week left ... :oex:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Jun 2014, 07:44

I hope riots won't injury foreign people.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 05 Jun 2014, 16:15

Panda Tar wrote:P.S.: what the heck is written on them?
Henke
Zlatan
Ljungan
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Jun 2014, 20:07

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Jun 2014, 07:18

I hope FIFA see the light and take the 2022 cup away from Qatar.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 07 Jun 2014, 10:16

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

2014 FIFA World Cup

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 09 Jun 2014, 15:41

I have already made a most solemn promise to watch live on TV each and every Team Finland's football match. :D

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Jun 2014, 03:20

Oh, boy, I'm kinda happy that foreigners and tourists are being treated nicely, even though there are problems with infrastructure some people, specially first world people, will find exasperating.

Although I'm not a WC supporter, I hope things will go ok.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Jun 2014, 23:31

Well, it wasn't a penalty and I'm not sure we'll see him again in this tournament. Not many mistakes, but that one was a whopper.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Jun 2014, 13:15

Yeah, I felt a sting of uneasiness when that penalty was scored. We wanted to win fairly. Luckily, the third goal sort of made me fell less troubled.

And that first goal...hard on that player's head, it must have been. Hosting the World Cup, first goal scored, first match...and against his own team. Nice... :drama:

The game wasn't bad, but I was never fond of Brazilian's style of playing. That passing up and down and slow advancing style. I'd rather watch 2 Europeans playing against each other, like today, The Netherlands x Spain. That might nice.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Jun 2014, 20:51

My, my, The Netherlands 5 x 1 Spain.

That was a very good match! :applause:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Jun 2014, 08:26

After the first 15 minutes, everybody expected Chile to demolish the "Socceroos" completely. Then the match turned around and Cahill got his fourth WC goal. After that, it actually became quite exciting. :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Jun 2014, 16:00

Rather funny seeing a Switzerland player named "Rodriguez". :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Jun 2014, 17:02

Yeah or a Croat named "Eduardo". ;)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Jun 2014, 17:16

Well, Portugal's player doing a 'Zidane-thing'. Too much for his team, losing.

And 4! 4!

The most stupid thing was the narrator stating this: "The semi-god Cristiano Ronaldo is on the field...blah, blah". Semi-god? What the heck. :slap:

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Jun 2014, 20:04

Kalah wrote:Yeah or a Croat named "Eduardo". ;)
Or a Hondurian called "Bengtson".
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 17 Jun 2014, 03:15

Panda Tar wrote:Well, Portugal's player doing a 'Zidane-thing'. Too much for his team, losing.

And 4! 4!

The most stupid thing was the narrator stating this: "The semi-god Cristiano Ronaldo is on the field...blah, blah". Semi-god? What the heck. :slap:
Sensationalism.

Did you Brazillians root for your Portuguese forefathers in the world cup?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Jun 2014, 10:04

Some do, some don't. As I was watching the match, the online bar showed that 30% was in favor of Germany. As Germany started winning and so on, the percentage got higher and higher. Eventually 60% of the online spectators were in favor of Germany. When it comes to foreigners, I think Brazilians root for those they think are playing the best (except for Argentina and maybe USA).

The fact is that Cristiano Ronaldo is a popular figure here, at least, the most known player of all those who were on the field. But as the game moved on and he didn't do anything to help Portugal, people simply chose to root for the best team.

I am one that enjoys a good match. I feel tainted if ever my team wins a game by playing badly or due referee's mistakes. It simply messes with the mood. But the funny thing is that I wasn't sure of which team I was inclined to root in that game. I just wanted it to be a cool game, and it sort of was. Would be even better if Pepe was a better player.

Today, there's Brazil vs Mexico. I do hope it'll be a good fast paced game, not a slowmotion-like game I hate so much.

P.S.: and it all depends on which forefathers you mean. The Netherlands, Germany, Italy...could also take that spot. ;) The Netherlands, when taking down Spain, was playing in the Northeast, which was where that country 'helped colonize' Brazil in the old times. Maybe that's why they felt home, hohoho. Where I live, Portuguese influence is very strong. But something like 200km from here, there are cities where most of people speak german. It's likely that they'll root for a poor country, like the African teams.

Return to “Campfire”