AI

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Paromlin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

AI

Unread postby Paromlin » 13 Apr 2014, 09:28

I know, it's been years since this game came out, but I have a question about AI. :)

Is there a difficulty setting at which the AI basically plays by the same rules as the player, to the best of its ability? I’m talking about about normal maps, player vs AI, not campaigns.

What I mean by “the same rules” is the following:

a) AI players don’t get free resources.

b) AI players don’t get free units.

c) AI players don’t get free buildings.

d) AI players don’t get a “free pass” with neutrals and lose troops when fighting them just like a human player would.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 13 Apr 2014, 13:07

I don't mean to pour cold water on this but the AI in MMH6 is seriously not very good. Time and time again when I move into its zone of control I see that it hasn't cleared the neutrals, hasn't taken the free resources, hasn't flagged the mines, etc, and yet it's still able to field a reasonable force. In other words, it's cheating.

If you're looking for a good AI to play against, I'm afraid MMH6 is not a good choice of game. You could try Galactic Civilizations, although that game's even older than MMH6.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Apr 2014, 13:25

It's not so long. :D

Perhaps Marzhin is having reply for you. I think that AI is cheating on every level.

Neither I have idea if that can be balanced with custom map, balancing AI and human players. Like it was with previous installment of the game.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Paromlin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paromlin » 13 Apr 2014, 18:16

Banedon wrote:I don't mean to pour cold water on this but the AI in MMH6 is seriously not very good. Time and time again when I move into its zone of control I see that it hasn't cleared the neutrals, hasn't taken the free resources, hasn't flagged the mines, etc, and yet it's still able to field a reasonable force. In other words, it's cheating.

If you're looking for a good AI to play against, I'm afraid MMH6 is not a good choice of game. You could try Galactic Civilizations, although that game's even older than MMH6.
That's disappointing, but expected from HoMM AI. AI is so crucial for this game, yet it's pitiful every time.

I remember reading a few years ago that someone made an excellent AI mod for HoMM 5 that doesn't cheat. I wonder if the people behind it will make something similar for HoMM 6 because I prefer the diversity of abilities that HoMM 6 creatures have.

I think I'm going to try AoW 3. Seems there's a difficulty level at which AI doesn't cheat.

Also, maybe I'll just skip HoMM 6 and go for MM X legacy, since they're reusing the creatures anway... hmm.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Apr 2014, 20:54

Paromlin wrote:I remember reading a few years ago that someone made an excellent AI mod for HoMM 5 that doesn't cheat. I wonder if the people behind it will make something similar for HoMM 6 because I prefer the diversity of abilities that HoMM 6 creatures have.
That will never happen. AI mod for HeroesV was created by Quantomas and when he offered his help, during testing phase, Ubi said: "No, we are not interested."

And that settled the matter.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 13 Apr 2014, 23:26

Paromlin wrote:
Banedon wrote:I don't mean to pour cold water on this but the AI in MMH6 is seriously not very good. Time and time again when I move into its zone of control I see that it hasn't cleared the neutrals, hasn't taken the free resources, hasn't flagged the mines, etc, and yet it's still able to field a reasonable force. In other words, it's cheating.

That's disappointing, but expected from HoMM AI. AI is so crucial for this game, yet it's pitiful every time.

I remember reading a few years ago that someone made an excellent AI mod for HoMM 5 that doesn't cheat. I wonder if the people behind it will make something similar for HoMM 6 because I prefer the diversity of abilities that HoMM 6 creatures have.

I think I'm going to try AoW 3. Seems there's a difficulty level at which AI doesn't cheat.

Also, maybe I'll just skip HoMM 6 and go for MM X legacy, since they're reusing the creatures anway... hmm.
You could play HoMM 3 ...
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Paromlin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paromlin » 15 Apr 2014, 08:23

Oh, but I've already played many many HoMM 3 games. It's enough. I guess I could try HoMM V (again), but with this new smart AI that doesn't cheat. Although, HoMM 6 creatures are so much more fun (due to the many abilities that they have).

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: AI

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Apr 2014, 08:24

Paromlin wrote:a) AI players don’t get free resources.

b) AI players don’t get free units.
IIRC AI starts with gazzilions of creatures to buy and same amount of resources. Only difference is that, AI is limitet how many creatures can buy per week, so it wouldn't overwhelm players in first week.
After few months of gameplay, AI will eventually dry soft and would only buy units from weekly towns growth.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Apr 2014, 16:30

The most annoying thing is that the AI does not explore. It knows the whole map from the start. It also knows exactly how many movement points you have and it will position itself just one step away. Unless you have snatch, that is.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”