Might and Magic X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 28 Jan 2014, 10:09

No, nothing like that yet. But I'm sure the respawm in M&M6-8 was every year, so I'm not expecting much any time soon.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 28 Jan 2014, 16:58

What a terrible week for my computer to break! All I want to play is M&M. Anyone know if its possible to transfer game progress to another computer?

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 28 Jan 2014, 18:19

I don't suppose it's possible to fly in M&M X? A pity, I always enjoyed flying in the VI and VII; I think it's sad that so few RPG's allow it. As ugly as the M&M VI engine looks now, it was a great aesthetic pleasure at the time to fly over Whitecap with the snow falling.

And yes, I realize it made many combats trivial, but I liked being able to avoid slogging through piles of weak enemies that had respawned.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 29 Jan 2014, 00:14

Asomath wrote:What a terrible week for my computer to break! All I want to play is M&M. Anyone know if its possible to transfer game progress to another computer?
At Uplay folder (at my computer is at : C:\Program Files(x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher you can find a foder "savegames", there are stored all the saves from the Uplay games (including MnM X). I guess (never tried it) that with a copy paste of this folder you can transfer the saves. Oh, and I do NOT recommend cloud-saving that Uplay offers, turn it OFF, many gamers had probems, some even lost their saves forevers (yeah I know, I hate those online drm platforms...)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Jan 2014, 02:19

How is everyone finding the game so far?

I'm at lvl 15. It's pretty darn challenging in all areas. Money is always a problem; probably 'cos I have to buy so many potions.

There is a lot of walking, due to the lack of potions top be found in each shop. They do respawn daily though.

I think the 4 hunters are doing fairly well. I just got The Crag and there are some excellent spears there, I just need $$$!! :)

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 29 Jan 2014, 07:05

I'm playing on Adventurer, and it was sort of difficult at the start, but after I got to Seahaven and built up my characters a bit it's got quite easy. It all depends on how you build your characters in the end, there's a few strategies that will make the start easier, and there's a few end-game things i'm doing right now that make the game quite simple. generally it's about the magics you choose to master first that changes the entire dynamic of your party.

If you stick to the main quest until you get to Karthal/The Crag then start exploring you're in a really good position. i started exploring once i got to Seahaven and found out there's not much you can beat!

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Jan 2014, 09:58

I might have erred by not going with more magic. My hunters have expert air now, but they such at it, since I put my points into combat.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 29 Jan 2014, 10:35

My party is at 17 level, just finished Act 2. The game is great, I really enjoy it so much! I did the mistake to roam after act1 at areas near Seaheaven and was so hard, seldom I found enemies I could beat, but that mistake made my party so strong when I finally found the dungeon for main quest, only 1 fight in there was really difficult (at my level) ambush that you had multiple enemies from 3 sides, but I had some scrolls (the one that cannot be stunned and 1 ressurection) so the battle was won! Now I am trying to do my first promotion quest at Cursed Ruins, gold are not a problem at all if you explore a lot, I have more than 20k gold, many potions and some "emergency scrolls" , also I have found 2 Relics!

edit: Oh, Adventurer level the difficulty ofc. My 2nd playthrough will be at the hard ;)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Jan 2014, 11:47

Spoiler

My current "main quest" is find Montbard. I just entered the Lost City for the 2nd time. I was not finished the first time. I hope this is part of the mainline quest?

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Jan 2014, 19:47

Spoiler

Has anyone finished the take Edwin to the watchtower quest? I can not find the darn thing!

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 30 Jan 2014, 00:56

I feel like I've hit a bit of wall. I'm in the K..... sewer and the enemies are too tough. I tried exploring the world to find some other quests, but I seem to run into barriers I cannot pass. :(

Whom do I have to sleep with to get a "light" spell. I can't see a thing in the sewers.
Last edited by Variol on 30 Jan 2014, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Jan 2014, 02:26

I keep hitting walls, too. Makes me ponder my character builds. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Jan 2014, 05:19

I'm appreciating the nods to the previous games. I don't feel like they're beating me over the head with them, but they're obvious when you see them.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 30 Jan 2014, 12:30

Variol wrote: Whom do I have to sleep with to get a "light" spell. I can't see a thing in the sewers.
If you have 4 hunters then indeed... AFAIK light, dark and fire magic would help and no NPC. Can the minimap be more informative than actual vision? In one of the mysterious crypts I was totally lost until looked at minimap.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 30 Jan 2014, 14:30

Variol wrote: Boy, about 10 tries later, I finally beat him. Still, I think the game needs to be less linear, so I can go and gain some more levels next time.
I do not like to judge before seeing the entire game, but me too have thought that there could be an "arena" where you could fight with random monsters from your bestiary list to gain a few exp or some other means to soften "mistakes" in character development or inexperience with the game.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 31 Jan 2014, 11:11

Variol wrote:Spoiler

Has anyone finished the take Edwin to the watchtower quest? I can not find the darn thing!
It's on the Menthil Coast, basically the westernmost point of the game's world. But you'll need the Blessing of Ylath to go there.

Imryll
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Imryll » 01 Feb 2014, 23:19

If with the spells from fire, light, and dark, I finally upped the gamma to 1.3. It's still not too bright out of doors, and I can actually see when I use my light spells in dungeons. It may be video card, old lady vision, or just a matter of taste, but adjusting the setting really solved a problem for me.

I've restarted a number of times and have really missed having an old school manual--even as a PDF. Spell lists, etc., are now available on the net, but I would have liked to have that information in hand when forming my initial party. The interface offers a lot of information, but it's easy not to realize all it's telling you until you've played a bit.

Overall, though, I'm loving it. I might not be loving it quite so much if I preferred to play physical damage dealers, but figuring out how to use all the different spells and abilities together has been a blast.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 02 Feb 2014, 18:41

Bandobras Took wrote:
koval321 wrote:What it have from M&M WoX? Nothing
So, apparently, Might & Magic died with WoX, and Mandate of Heaven and For Blood and Honor were just cheap attempts to cash in on the popularity of . . . something.
..of the popularity of the older games? but thats not the real reason, it was the 1990's, everything had to go 3D or go and die, simple as that.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 03 Feb 2014, 10:58

Say guys, at what party level did you kill the shadow dragon/cyclops around Sorpigal?
They came down with relative ease around level 12 in a Bladedancer/Runepriest/Barbarian/Druid party, although I'm pretty sure another bladedancer would be better than the barbarian.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Feb 2014, 11:34

Something sub 20, but that really depends on build and strategy used, but 12 might be bit too green. For example shadow dragon is much more weaker if you have appropriate resistances available, and cyclops is really easy to kill if you manage to find workaround to his sweep attacks.

Return to “Might and Magic”