H6 - Is this game worth playing?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

H6 - Is this game worth playing?

Unread postby Romanov77 » 27 Jan 2014, 13:15

This has to be the first ever HOMM game I skipped in my life, as back then, the game ran really bad on my 9800GT.

Now I will get a GTX 660 and I was eyeing the Complete edition...so, is it worth getting?

I really liked H3 and H4, and I could have liked H5 too if it wasn't ruined by the nasty combo "New boring Ashan world + 15 minutes enemy AI turns".
Will I like this new game?

Key points:

-What about AI time?
-Is the AI good or "H4 dumb/H5 scared" style?
-What about custom maps number and quality?
-Soundtrack...any good?
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Magelord
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Magelord » 29 Jan 2014, 13:20

Obviously I am not qualified to answer your question as I have not actually played Heroes VI but I would be remiss If I didn't throw in my 2 cents.

I swore never to buy a Heroes game without Black Dragons. Haters are gonna hate but Black Dragons have held a special place in this strategy game since it's inception.

Now all that to say when the Shadows expansion came out I said "ok" lets do this and bought the game with expansion. OMG!

Bug after bug turned the screen dark, Trouble ticket after trouble ticket either ignored or applied totally useless scripted responses that had nothing to do with my issue and worst of all!!!! No one and I mean NO ONE should ever plan to play a game and then have that denied them due to a DRM issue or internet server lag! I bought a game not the internet!

Please don't confuse my rant for anger at the programmers and fine folks at UBISOFT who set out to make a great game, I still LOVE Heroes V (Pretty sure I'm alone there). I just feel that bad judgement was applied by good people for a more complicated than usual type of strategy game that should have held to it's roots as an internet independent entity. Now I had all these issues around April 2012 or whenever it was that the Shadows expansion came out. so it's been quite awhile and yet I had to offer my point of view for your consideration. But hey at least I am not bitter...

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 29 Jan 2014, 16:17

AI turns?

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 30 Jan 2014, 16:47

- AI turn length is ok.
- AI is ok overall, positioning just outside your movement radius when weaker; but not smart enough to consider movement boosts and/or town portal. Combat AI is pretty good compared to earlier games.
- Custom maps... don't know. Rarely saw one.
- Music: very good
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 03 Feb 2014, 13:23

So there's no map making community?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Feb 2014, 14:29

For H6? No.

That's the short answer.

The long answer is that the editor was too complex for ordinary players to use, meaning that we never really got going in the map making department. We have a total of 4 H6 maps in our database.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 03 Feb 2014, 15:04

Romanov77 wrote:So there's no map making community?
There are few maps and a few authors - so let say minicommunity.

Game is however unsupported at this date, editor is not mature, neither AI. Long and complex battle scenarios are out of mind - however, solo or simpler projects are possible.

Also, there are somewhere two tutorials for mapmaking from Marzhin and at least on on google disk.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 03 Feb 2014, 16:30

That sounds like a massive fail...Homm without map making community.

Should have expected that with all that DRM garbage...

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 09 Mar 2014, 16:42

Try it again few days ago... failed epically. Just could not get invested into it - it is slow and monotonous, and the loading if you want to Alt+Tab... Jesus Christ.

So, going back to Heroes 5.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”