M&M X: Legacy Review Roundup 1

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Jan 2014, 21:08

Ubisoft's Might and Magic X: Legacy is getting fairly good reviews so far, judging from its megacritic score of 74, by the time I write this. Here are the highlights from some of the largest gaming sites:

<li><a href="/http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/24/might ... Joystiq</a> (4/5): Might and Magic 10 plays so smoothly, with an elegant simplicity and almost effortless depth, that I can forgive its lack of story and indifferent graphical presentation. There's a common argument that pits the more complex/confusing conventions of older games against the accessible/"dumbed down" conventions of more recent fare, with one always good and the other always bad, depending on your point of view. Might and Magic 10: Legacy reveals just how irrelevant those arguments are. It's my new favorite installment in the series, and it offers a great example of how to update old-fashioned RPG mechanics for the present day.

<li><a href="/http://www.gameinformer.com/games/might ... aspx">Game Informer</a> (8.25/10): Might & Magic X: Legacy lives up to the quality of its long-lost predecessors. Despite streamlining and accessibility upgrades, it’s not a game for everyone. Turn-based grid walks are a rarity today and the title may feel a bit bizarre to those that never had a chance to experience 90’s era Might & Magic fare, but for those that have always wanted a legitimate heir to the classic series, Might & Magic X: Legacy provides.

<li><a href="/http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... rogamer</a> (7/10): Might & Magic 10: Legacy feels like a pleasant throwback to dungeon crawls of decades past, but its limited scope and combat-heavy focus might put off those pining for the freedom afforded by the more recent Elder Scrolls games, or the wordy character interaction of a Dragon Age. Nonetheless, for those keen on poring over stats and comparing colour-coded loot, it serves as a modern introduction to those games' precursors, delivers a heady blast of nostalgia, and preserves a little slice of history.

<li><a href="/http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/might-m ... ameSpot</a> (6/10): Might & Magic X: Legacy is a somewhat successful trip back in time to an era when RPGs were both simpler and more complicated than they are today, and a lot more demanding of players when it came to combat. If nostalgia drives you to visit this particular kingdom, you'll not likely regret the time spend there. If your good old days weren't brimming with games of this nature, it's more difficult to appreciate the take-no-prisoners challenge and overlook the limitations.

<li><a href="/http://www.pcgamer.com/review/might-and ... eview/">PC Gamer</a> (73/100): What gives Legacy its old school charm though is that as much as it's weighed down by an obviously low budget and the mechanical sacrifices of jumping back a decade, there's a love for its style underpinning the action. The result isn't likely to do much for anyone raised on a diet of The Elder Scrolls, and even at its best is a nostalgia trip rather than call for revolution. Even so, for old-school RPG fans as sad as its creators seem to be that nobody makes games like this any more, it’s a solid way to relive the good old days.

Many more reviews are expected during the next couple of days, so we will provide an update in time. Until then, tell us whether the critics' comment match your own impression of the game so far.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1390597715
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 25 Jan 2014, 08:17

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 25 Jan 2014, 10:00

reviews are great for this game. Limbic have done an excellent job considering their budget for this game must have been so much less than most other games created of that size/expansiveness.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jan 2014, 10:06

Great stuff, AS, thanks a bunch! :)

I have updated our reviews page with the new contents, and rest assured we will continue to add to it as the scores continue to trickle in. :)

@Ravenheart: I have not heard of this "CRPG addict" guy and I'm reluctant to trust blogs as much as proper gaming sites, however, the review looks very thorough indeed. Can you tell me something more about this author?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 25 Jan 2014, 10:16

Judging from the end paragraph, I'd say the CRPG Addict is not yet making an actual review, it's more an editorial summarizing what he thinks about the game so far.

edit: my bad, I just realized that it was likely just a joke about the fact he usually only reviews old games :)
Edited on Sat, Jan 25 2014, 05:37 by Marzhin
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 25 Jan 2014, 12:19

@Kalah: Well, he plays through old crpgs and once he's finished with one, he sums up his opinion. That's all you have to know. He has a lot of posts, including early Might & Magic and Wizardry walkthroughs and reviews.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Re: M&M X: Legacy Review Roundup 1

Unread postby Variol » 25 Jan 2014, 15:56

Ravenheart87 wrote:This one worth mentioning too: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.hu/2014/01/a ... erved.html
This was really worth reading for me!

Some of the highlights were:

Like: Your "bestiary," covering the hit points, statistics, strengths, and weaknesses of various enemies, slowly fills in as you encounter more and more of them. There's even a quest related to collecting as many bestiary entries as possible.

Like: Almost everything--stats, skills, classes, spell effects, inventory items--are well-annotated just by hovering the cursor over them.

..and the familiar turn-off:

Don't like: Having to install extra software on my computer, with a constant connection to the Internet, and a persistent presence in my system tray. I don't know what this frigging "UPlay" thing is, or why I have to log into it every time I want to play the game. I don't have any desire to "connect with others on the Steam community," and I don't know how to turn it off.

His final words are worth the read!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 25 Jan 2014, 16:03

Variol wrote:Like: Your "bestiary," covering the hit points, statistics, strengths, and weaknesses of various enemies, slowly fills in as you encounter more and more of them. There's even a quest related to collecting as many bestiary entries as possible.
Also know as Identify Monster skill in MM6-9. :P
Let me say - this bestiary in MMX and in H6 are good idea and very good done but in case of MMX it's just like Dragon Blessing - another name for various skills.
And personally I would like have back all these misc. skills, instead of Dragon Blessing for example.

And BTW bestiary - yesterday someone told me that bosses don't have stats showed in that book.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 25 Jan 2014, 16:14

^^Yes, I know. It's just nice not to need the skill anymore. :)

Is it the same with Identifying?

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 28 Jan 2014, 04:41

Hey Marzhin, nice work. Game is much better than expected. There could always be room for improvement, but you and co. have given more hope to this franchise than Nival, Limbic, and Blackhole.

Now, if you'd add braless Naga Tanks to the expansion...

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 28 Jan 2014, 14:41

@ywhtptgtfo: Thanks, although do not forget that it's actually the fine folks of Limbic Entertainment who have developed Might & Magic X :)
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 29 Jan 2014, 08:32

Hey y you peasant lover, glad to hear someone like yourself is enjoying the game. Me? I couldn't stand the early access version so uninstalled it. I thought I'd give it another go when the boxed version arrived but it comes as no surprise to me that the game doesn't work correctly for me. Happy days.
Edited on Wed, Jan 29 2014, 03:33 by Ryder

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 30 Jan 2014, 00:35

I only played 10 minutes of the early access version because I couldn't stand the block-by-block movement. But once the game got out, I forced myself to give the game an afternoon of time.

Turns out the game can still be fun. I do like the ties in with the lore and how HoMM unit renders are re-used.

Gameplay is not top-notched but I would like to say this project is a right thing to do and the devs are heading towards the right direction for once (since Heroes 4 and Might and Magic 8)

Now... if they will just decide to visit one of those flat worlds described by that cosmologist in the game....

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 30 Jan 2014, 19:07

Constant connection to UPlay. Nope, ain't gonna happen. Never, never, never. Whose brilliant (stupid!) idea was it that a player should have to be connected to UPlay to play what should be a stand-alone PC game. I don't care if everyone rates the game an 11 out of 10.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jan 2014, 20:00

You don't have to stay connected.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 30 Jan 2014, 23:45

ToweringAmishPlumber wrote:Constant connection to UPlay. Nope, ain't gonna happen. Never, never, never. Whose brilliant (stupid!) idea was it that a player should have to be connected to UPlay to play what should be a stand-alone PC game. I don't care if everyone rates the game an 11 out of 10.
Kalah wrote:You don't have to stay connected.
This is true and I am enjoying the game, but I am also philosophically opposed to have any portion of the game, that I have paid for depending on being connected. Granted the extras are not required, but when you buy a game the entire game should be yours to access at all times. The statement "It is corporate policy" is just lame. Unfortunately this is probably the continuing wave of the future. So for now I will continue to enjoy the game and hope udontplay does not get in the way. :)
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 31 Jan 2014, 12:54

@Jeff:

"Granted the extras are not required, but when you buy a game the entire game should be yours to access at all times."

True. However, this is more of a philosophical question. But let's first get something out of the way. The excuse on the part of Limbic and the development team is legitimate. They can't do anything about a corporate policy of the company they work for. They can request that their game is exempted but it's not going to happen. So the one to blame here is Ubisoft and specifically the department which is responsible for enforcing all these stupid ideas; be it their marketing department, their legal department or a decision being made at a corporate level to satisfy investors and whatnot. I am not really interested in who's exactly responsible, but the development team certainly isn't.

Now, about the philosophical subtext... theoretically you're entitled to use your game to its full potential, but the fact that you have to stay connected to enjoy some of the features is not ethically or pragmatically wrong, at least nowadays when Internet is not an obscure medium anymore. What I'm saying is that any computer game requires that you have the necessary equipment to run it. You can't expect MMX to run on a pentium. You may argue that this is different because better engines require more horsepower while an Internet connection contributes to the game in no way, but we must begin to accept that it's considered an asset now. When MM7 came out I couldn't enable some of the features because they required a 3D accelerator, which I did not own at the time. More people have an Internet connection today then those who owned a 3D card then.

I understand that there are regions which do not yet have reasonably stable connections -or they don't have Internet at all- but MMX can be played without it. The impact of not having a stable connection is less than that of not having the necessary hardware.

Of course I find it annoying when a game absolutely needs you to be online at all times. I resent this.

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 31 Jan 2014, 20:08

Thanks everyone for clearing up about not having to be connected all the time to play. My bad! I appreciate not only being informed, but being informed in a non-snarky way :) I will probably reconsider buying M&M X since I don't care about the online stuff. Well I do, but if the game is decent enough I can live without online content.

ToweringAmishPlumber
Scout
Scout

Unread postby ToweringAmishPlumber » 14 Feb 2014, 22:23

I would give M & M X a negative infinity rating since I can't order the BOXED edition. What the hell is wrong with ubisoft? Why can't one buy the Deluxe BOXED Edition in the U.S.? I tried to order it on amazon.uk (where it IS available), but apparently they won't ship this item to a U.S. address. I get the message "...cannot be shipped to the selected address." when I try to order it.

Well, I'm not going to buy the download version, so screw ubisoft.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 14 Feb 2014, 23:49

Does ozgameshop.com deliver to the US? There is a US flag next to the Aussie one for the dollar conversion so I can only assume they do.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/migh ... cy-game-pc

It is only preorder at the moment though. I get all my games through these guys.

Return to “News”