MMX Preview by RPG Codex

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

Unread postby hellegennes » 30 Dec 2013, 20:13

All Ubisoft games must run through UPlay, the developers can't do nothing about it, it's corporate policy now. They minimised this element in MMX, you only absolutely need it when you install the game. If we want to be honest, that's a much better anti-piracy system than most others and it costs much less. However, I do believe that there is an online aspect to the game and although it's optional, it may be part of the fun. I 'm guessing it will be something along the lines of H6's dynasty weapons; but it's just a guess, we don't really know yet.

terrycrewser4th
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

Unread postby terrycrewser4th » 14 Jan 2014, 18:43

@hellegennes

"I think you are overestimating the actual distance between MMX and the previous titles. A game series is not just storyline." I never said the storyline made the game. The overarching story has strong influences on the look and feel of the game world. Though people may not actively care about the storyline, the way everything looks & feels is still affected by it in some way.

"Stylistically MMIX was totally different, too." I'm aware of that. However, this incarnation is supposedly based on the older sequels, so MM9 has no bearing on the discussion. Styles from older titles are supposed to be the main influence anyway.

"MMX is not just a generic old school RPG" Still strongly disagree with that. I don't get the vibe of any older titles here. Enemies are not tounge-in-cheek, the player characters are boring and lack funny banter and there are no fun puzzles based around pop culture. Those things defined MM more than anything for me.

"Gameplay-wise, it's certainly a Might and Magic game." That is the least defining factor of the series (for me). Many CRPGS played in a similar manner to MM, so In that regard, it is indeed "generic". The specific flavors and culture that influenced the original MM universe are absent, so for me this is just a shell of the source material.....
Edited on Tue, Jan 14 2014, 14:05 by terrycrewser4th

terrycrewser4th
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

Unread postby terrycrewser4th » 14 Jan 2014, 19:04

@Jeff

"My guess is that they are not listening or investigating the truth before venting. Many of us do that even me :, though not as much as when I was younger."

Your guess is wrong in this case. I understand in what ways they are introducing some old-style elements such as gameplay style, combat, etc. The problem is that the things that they considered to be more relevant are the very things I disagree with. As stated in my previous reply, the more subtle nuances of the older game universe is what drew me in. Read that to see what I'm saying.

I still believe that my venting is justified. You guys can go on about how the base gameplay mechanics, combat system, etc. equate to a modern MM game all you want. Bottom line is that the elements that truly made the series for me, those things are gone and removes me from what I was attracted to previously. I do understand and appreciate the intention behind this modern incarnation, I just disagree with the elements other people consider to be more relevant.....
Edited on Tue, Jan 14 2014, 14:05 by terrycrewser4th

terrycrewser4th
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

Unread postby terrycrewser4th » 14 Jan 2014, 19:14

@Variol
"age = wisdom!"

Wisdom might increase with age, but I don't agree that it comes with it by default.
Age and wisdom do not grow equally together. Wisdom often races ahead of age. Wisdom certainly CAN increase with age but that doesn't mean it always WILL.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

MMX Preview by RPG Codex

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Jan 2014, 23:36

@hellegennes: there are no online features in MMXL, not the way it was done in H6 in any case. There are a couple of items you can unlock with UPlay points (another corporate policy) and you might need to be connected to use those (I'm not completely sure to be honest). But there are no game-wide features that require to be online like the Dynasty stuff in H6.

@Jeff: You need to be online to activate the game the first time you play and it will indeed use that opportunity to install the latest patch. Then you can put UPlay in offline mode and play the whole game offline if you want :) (except the aforementioned Uplay bonuses)

@Terrycrewser4th: play Might & Magic X until the end and then you'll decide whether it was a true Might & Magic or not ;)
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Jan 2014, 02:44

Thank you Marzhin for the clarification.

@terrycrewser4th

To be honest I had not read your entire post; so my comments on venting were generic and not targeted at anyone.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “News”