H5 random map generator

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Variol
Wraith
Wraith

H5 random map generator

Unread postby Variol » 18 Sep 2013, 19:11

Can someone tell why I can so longer see the section at the bottom of the generator which allows me to pick the towns I want on the map? It used to be there, but not anymore. :(
I also had the ability to select the amount of resources and neutral creature difficulty. That's gone too.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 20 Sep 2013, 13:28

Since no one else has, I'll take a stab at this. You mentioned earlier "your screen rez" in the A.I. thread, have you tried others to see if all shows? I run 1920 by 1080 btw.

I assume you mean the RMG "in-game", fyi there is a larger version of it within the Editor; you can make a map there, The only difference is you lose the ring at save, so it will not be an instant shared map for on-line play, like the in-game version.

In my Maps thread is a new one called "Ladders", I used the Editor version of the RMG for it, since I was exploring major amounts of random joiners and not making a map per se.

One thing though, depending on how large you go with this RMG, you should make an inspection of the generated map before playing. Depending upon your wants and likes, it might not be necessary to check the map but there are things the RMG does that I don't want. i.e. Since I will always select at least "Strong" guarding creatures, even Dolmans are guarded and much worse there will be a silly amount of + luck & morale sites, which I delete all. I want my knights morale to matter and not be ripped off by all factions...same with luck.

One more thing, the E-RMG will do nothing if you are wanting to use a map-name that already exists. So, in the event of making a new version of an old name; if you are wanting to make a new version of an old map than just add a 1 to the name and make the switch after creating the replacement.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 21 Sep 2013, 09:08

Yes, I'm referring to the "in-game" generator. I think the additional features came in a patch (not a mod), or with the TooE add on?
I agree that it needs work. Sometimes there are too many of the same artifact on the map and there are a few other minor issues as well.
It would make for a great mod, if some could make some adjustments to it. I'm no good at creating maps. In fact, I would like to know who the psycho was, which created the map editor.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 21 Sep 2013, 13:23

Variol wrote:Yes, I'm referring to the "in-game" generator. I think the additional features came in a patch (not a mod), or with the TooE add on?
I agree that it needs work. Sometimes there are too many of the same artifact on the map and there are a few other minor issues as well.
It would make for a great mod, if some could make some adjustments to it. I'm no good at creating maps. In fact, I would like to know who the psycho was, which created the map editor.
I think it was TotE that brought all but I'm not certain.

Well as far as psychos,<S> really what we have <imo> is "Nival's in-house map-editor." It's an awesome tool but unfortunately it's only complete if you know Lua-scripting. That's where it fails for almost everyone, including myself. Sorely missed is a Map-Editor that was made for the masses of fans to use. Instead, at the last minute, we were given what they used in creating the game. I don't believe there was ever a plan to make a user-friendly editor.

Anyway, back to the RMG, since you have trouble with the Editor why not use the internal RMG? It's as easy to use as the in-game extension. I'm certain they are one in the same. iirc inside the Editor, you can select various "templates" but you're not able to do that inside the game?

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 21 Sep 2013, 17:03

Yes, I will definitely try the RMG within the editor. I remember that with the "in-game" one, I had to do "something" to make the bottom part appear, which allowed me to select the amount of resources (from 1 - 5) and I'm sure there was a neutral creature difficulty selection as well.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 27 Sep 2013, 22:33

I can add campaign heroes to my random maps? I only play stand-alone not online.
I see some in the menu for the castle, but not all of them.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 28 Sep 2013, 00:25

Because I came so late to H5 almost all that I know, I had to learn on my own. Take mapping, for a long time I fought with the editor and game trying to figure out how to get all the Heroes back when lost in battles...I never did, I'm no programmer.

Anyway, you're in luck because I just came across this Mod a few days ago.
I've only had time to start one game but it seems to work. You can test it too and let me know what you find.

I am mostly interested in knowing if you can get your Campaign-Hero back... if you retreat.

Could you please save, and then retreat, to see if your Hero shows again in the Tavern?

Here's the link
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... genumber=1

Cheers

PS, I forgot, if you play your map and don't see any new Heroes in the create-screen, then you will need to open the map in the Editor and "check all" under the Heroes tab. I think this Mod might override the Map'setting but I don't know yet.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 28 Sep 2013, 00:44

Variol wrote:Yes, I will definitely try the RMG within the editor. I remember that with the "in-game" one, I had to do "something" to make the bottom part appear, which allowed me to select the amount of resources (from 1 - 5) and I'm sure there was a neutral creature difficulty selection as well.
Did you see my response about this in the other thread? Just pull out "J" and then you should see all of the in-game RMG.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 28 Sep 2013, 08:52

markkur wrote:
Variol wrote:Yes, I will definitely try the RMG within the editor. I remember that with the "in-game" one, I had to do "something" to make the bottom part appear, which allowed me to select the amount of resources (from 1 - 5) and I'm sure there was a neutral creature difficulty selection as well.
Did you see my response about this in the other thread? Just pull out "J" and then you should see all of the in-game RMG.
No, I did not see that; and I did look at the thread and even posted in it.
Sometimes I notice that forum indicator does not light up when a new post is made, so I may have missed it for that reason.

I don't understand what you mean by Just pull out "J"? Is that game version? I'm currently using 3.1j.
The generator in the editor does everything, so it's not a big issue now.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 28 Sep 2013, 13:00

Yes, that's what I meant; the version of the A.I.

Have fun

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 28 Sep 2013, 20:54

I have "j" but I still don't have the option. :D

Does anyone else notice that the cursor in a little "off" on the world map and in combat? I don't remember it being that way before.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Sep 2013, 12:51

All of the terrain objects, dwellings, heroes etc have disappeared from my editor. Any ideas? Did I un-check something? I've looked through the menus, but can't find any reason for it. :(

EDIT:
Oh, I should mention that the editor crashed while creating a RM and when I went back into it, I had the problem.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 29 Sep 2013, 14:41

I can't remember who I suggested this to before here @ CH but did you previously save a mirror image of the game?

If not, reinstall I recommend making a back-up folder and calling it ToEBU. Once you've done that, then in the future, you can easily overwrite a corrupted Editor by copy/paste any time something happens. I've done this 3 times now in 2+ years.

Also, I always disconnect from the Internet before playing a game or working on a map. I've not had near the crashes I used to since not allowing other programs to interact. H5 is horribly vulnerable to file corruption and my ideas will make then minor irritations versus major hassles.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 29 Sep 2013, 21:30

I re-installed ToE, but I'm still having the same problem with the editor.

EDIT:
I uninstalled it again and then restarted the PC and installed again. Looks like everything is back now.

I checked off "all" for the heroes in the editor, but I still can't select them in the generator or in the game.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 30 Sep 2013, 01:45

To always have them, you'll need this Mod.

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... genumber=1

Just remember on every map that you make or want to play; "all" will still have to be checked or you will not see them at map start. About the RMG I don't know, I don't use the RMG at all normally but I'm sure the same thing will apply.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 01 Oct 2013, 15:59

Thanks for the link,

I'm finding the game is running better since the re-install. I think the mod with the new skins was causing a problem.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”