Markkur, H5 Mapping Ideas & Questions

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
markkur
Demon
Demon

Using Mag's HoA Mod with "J"

Unread postby markkur » 17 Sep 2013, 19:50

When MapMaking and playing H5 TotE 3.1, I always use Quantomas' "J" A.I. In the past, some of us wanted to use this; magnomagus' Heroes of Axeoth Mod but it conflicted with Q's A.I. version "J". So, I wanted to try and make it work.

original page
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=24665

For those that would like to run both, I think I've managed to make it work. Btw, Mags never returned my PM from a long while back so I guess he's left the scene. :<(

Anyway, I've uploaded my "Tweak" of Mag's Awesome Mod to MediaFire; just drop it in the UserMods folder and take it out when not wanted.

http://forum.eternal-essence.com/showth ... 186&page=2

Post #30 for the Link

Tyber Zann
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tyber Zann » 19 Sep 2013, 01:02

Lol, ur right that's confusing. i said that cause the map described was upgrades vs alt upgrades. I was pointing out that some of the upgrades negate each other. It's still a great idea though. Especially with other factions as well

Tyber Zann
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tyber Zann » 19 Sep 2013, 01:10

I think it would help settle many debates about who's better. Just play marrkurs upgrade vs alt.upgrade map. That'll answer the questions. Of coarse I think the point of them is to mix and match. If they where all better (as many hastily claim) what would be the point? The creators may as well have replaced the upgrade units. I'm really looking foreward to this. Civil war, without mirroring (which I find kind of boring. if I want a full mirror match ill play chess) keep at it bro

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 20 Sep 2013, 13:57

I think one thing gets heavily overlooked about upgrades and that's personal preference. What's not that obvious about a bias is the reason for a bias. :D

I'll use myself as an example, to avoid the wrath of a fixed mindset. I absolutely cannot stand the alt-upgrades of the Scouts & Witch's. Invisibility was great for the One Ring but the special is rubbish "for me".

Now I can get all snooty and say; those upgrades are not as good as the poison arrows and lightning bolts of the 1st upgrades and base it on stats etc. But here's the deal, just because I'm closed off to using the disappearing acts, does not mean that others have not grasped invisibility to great-effect. As I said, I don't like those upgrades (at all)but I've read post after post of others using to them and apparently (like in creeping)...very well.

The only thing I like about those creatures is trying to hit them with fireballs or stone-spikes when they are on the other side of the battlefield. Just to be clear; "what's one player's rubbish can be another player's bread & butter."

ps, I have recently played some of the Alts that I never play with, just to play something "new". Now that's not a bad thing either...having real depth to a game. My "Heroes of Ashan" is a map where I made myself play with all.

"The Un-CivilWar" is another map with fixed upgrades but the upgrades are mixed-up and not one list versus the other like on Heroes of Ashan.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 21 Sep 2013, 20:18

markkur wrote:I think one thing gets heavily overlooked about upgrades and that's personal preference. What's not that obvious about a bias is the reason for a bias. :D
True. However, if you want to create a balanced map you'll want to take potential creature value into consideration. I remember playing a map by Franzy (Mercenaries) that I think overall is an example of an extremely well balanced map... up until the point where one can purchase a ballista and 'hire' Stalkers :D
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 22 Sep 2013, 09:00

wimfrits wrote: True. However, if you want to create a balanced map you'll want to take potential creature value into consideration. I remember playing a map by Franzy (Mercenaries) that I think overall is an example of an extremely well balanced map... up until the point where one can purchase a ballista and 'hire' Stalkers :D
I fully agree, I didn't mean to sound like there are no issues, what I intended to emphasize (and didn't do a stellar job) is that sometimes (I used myself as an example) I have discarded a creature, for whatever reason;,i.e a bad 1st usage etc. and looked past the potential of the creature in a given situation. <iow> because of my almost instant dislike of Stalkers, I did not explore their abilities to understand how to use them effectively; the Assassins worked well for my expectations and I left it at that. Other players however, come along and "instantly" see the possibility of the creature and use them very well.

Hopefully , what I originally meant is a little clearer now.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 14 Dec 2013, 15:50

Just a heads-up folks, Q has posted very recently that the A.I. is near release.

In addition I am updating my old Middengard map; with this work and using the xuxo's PRT Mod and my map, "Tolkien's LotR" is looking very good, I'll post it in a couple of days if not sooner Together with Q's new A.I. this will be a new experience.

Cheers :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Dec 2013, 15:53

Where does he announce when ready? I couldn't see anything in the official forum topic.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 15 Dec 2013, 14:39

Kalah wrote:Where does he announce when ready? I couldn't see anything in the official forum topic.
Quantomas has posted very little for a long while, but recently in "The Tavern".

Page 19, post #379

here:
http://forum.eternal-essence.com/showth ... 24&page=19

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”