Announcing Project Ironfist, new HoMM II mod

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Kivoss
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kivoss » 24 Mar 2012, 20:08

Considered you suggestion and here is the new design. Now with a pick instead of the previous weapon.

http://kivoss.deviantart.com/#/d4toony

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 24 Mar 2012, 20:19

BTW, setting the campaign on Varn would be all the more fitting with the inclusion of kobolds (one of the monster types from MM1) :)

Here's kobold sprite from the game:

Project's kobold unit looks quite similar.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 24 Mar 2012, 22:56

As I've said XEL, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 25 Mar 2012, 09:19

Had a quick look at sprites from MM and H3. They indeed are tricky to use directly. Some however, may be possible. For instance Mighty gorgon seemed to survive pretty well paletting and reduction to 80% size.

And an attempt to animate an existing H2 battlefield obstacle. It has missing frames and some existing ones need more work.

Kivoss
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kivoss » 25 Mar 2012, 10:17

I really like the tree! Very good idea in my opinion. May I know what program you used to make such a sprite?

Oh and here is the final version of the un-upgraded version of the Kobold. Now posted in original and enlraged size:

http://kivoss.deviantart.com/art/Kobold ... -291725278

I will upload the upgraded version soon :)

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 25 Mar 2012, 11:01

Kivoss wrote: May I know what program you used to make such a sprite?
To extract the tree, used a unagg utility downloaded centuries ago from net and my own utilities (buggy and not available anywhere). Many sprites are available at sprite database though: http://sdb.drshnaps.com/game.php?game=2208

For new frames/pixel editing used GIMP. It is freeware and more powerful than MS paint.

Kivoss
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kivoss » 25 Mar 2012, 11:19

Thank You :) Okay here is the upgraded version of the Kobold, not sure about the armour though... what do you think?

http://kivoss.deviantart.com/#/d4tyz73

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 26 Mar 2012, 12:49

I like the kobold, but now you need to do the animation frames...

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 17 Apr 2012, 13:43

Any news on the project, guys?
Salamandre wrote:Or create new story, the original is botched and very few care about. Custom campaigns and maps always had much better stories, both in H2 and H3.
The original story is just fine. Especially good if viewed on a larger scale, i.e. together with core Might and Magic games. And, I can assure you, quite a few people care about the story in the original games and like it. All in all, IMO there's no need to create entirely new story and setting, while Ironfist dynasty is referenced right in the project's title.
Last edited by XEL II on 11 Jan 2013, 08:01, edited 2 times in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 18 Apr 2012, 06:19

There were definitely some growing pains involved in going from 4 to 10 people in a bit over a week; it took a bit too long for the Game Creation Society to get our repository up. Most of the members have been chipping in a bit each week, which is the expected commitment.

Just so no-one lynches me in a couple months, I'd like to say it now: We will very likely not be finishing the Warlord by the end of July. This comes purely from observing the pace of art, which is relatively predictable compared to design and programming. Then again, the pace will definitely quicken, and we just received inquiries from a new artist.

I'm overall fairly pleased with some of the recent developments. Only the top third is done, by so far the background for the Warlord town screen looks really good!

I've also discovered that an older version of the executable comes with debug symbols. Since a Google employee on the team also managed to obtain a free license for the powerful BinDiff utility, this will greatly speed the remainder of the reverse-engineering, meaning things such as improving the AI and network play (formerly very low priorities in reverse-engineering) will be much easier. At least if anyone can figure out how to read debug symbols in the CodeView 4.10 format.

Though, what I'm in some ways most proud of right now is that our lead writer, a professional writer with no previous HoMM exposure, has become addicted to the original game. :)

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Apr 2012, 19:25

If your writer could use any consulting on the Might and Magic lore (just to make sure that everything adds up), I'd be glad to help.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 31 May 2012, 23:52

Darmani wrote:
Pitsu wrote:Do you plan to reuse graphics from other (Ho)MM games or make them from scratch?
If we did that, they would stick out like a sore thumb.
Well, Image
(original: http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee32 ... es/123.gif )
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 20 Sep 2012, 04:30

We spent a lot of hours last month making it possible to add new creatures without touching any code. That doesn't produce any flashy screenshots.

But that let a team member have fun adding five new creatures over a couple days, which does. Introducing the harpy, bloodsucker, black knight, treant, and catobleba.

Making it easy to work on the game is a high priority. We created the strike-and-return ability for the harpy, but we made it so that anyone with a text editor can add this ability to any creature in under a minute.

We are now also capable of adding new artifacts. Our first addition has a fairly interesting ability.

Pandora's Box in action:

We have also heavily reverse-engineered the map editor, and can now mod it as well.

And finally, have a look at the beginnings of the Warlord town screen.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 20 Sep 2012, 13:12

Gaaah! L33t peasants! My eyes!
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Yasagani
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Yasagani » 11 Jan 2013, 01:51

Severely hoping this project isn't dead. Because I have high hopes you guys might be able to fix the sound stuttering issues that have been plaguing this game on modern systems. Might I suggest you add support for flac files so we can rip the game's soundtrack and make our own? I'd be interested in making a selection of castle themes from both TSW and POL since I like specific tracks from both. Additionally, it would be great if we could also recover all the lost or misnamed MIDI tracks. Your mod could be the catalyst to a greater Heroes of Might and Magic 2 experience.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 12 Jan 2013, 02:01

I've been caught up in work for the past month, but we've been preparing for a fairly major announcement. Stay tuned.

LeslieT
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LeslieT » 06 Jul 2013, 08:47

Darmani wrote:I've been caught up in work for the past month, but we've been preparing for a fairly major announcement. Stay tuned.
Is there any news?

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 27 Aug 2013, 13:45

Now three years in the making, we are pleased to announce the first public release of Project Ironfist. With new creatures, artifacts, and more, this release is a demonstration of what's possible with Ironfist's modding capabilities. Watch our demo video, or go to www.ironfi.st to learn more and download the game.

Ironfist supports adding new creatures, artifacts, spells, and more. Ironfist's scripting lets you create new maps of unlimited depth and variety. And now we're giving these abilities to you. Our tools, our knowledge, and our support are all also available at http://www.ironfi.st Over twenty people so far have helped to bring you this game. We hope that, whether by making maps, or by playing the game and sharing your ideas, you'll be one of the next several hundred.

Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 27 Aug 2013, 17:06

I shall be trying this out soon.

TheRatt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Can't Open

Unread postby TheRatt » 27 Aug 2013, 18:10

When I try to open the Ironfist.exe file, it opens to the startup screen and immediately crashes. Is there a specific compatability?

Return to “Heroes I-IV”