The Football (Soccer) Topic

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 May 2012, 21:34

DAAAAAAAAMN!!! :flame:

I'm losing it ... With Chelsea's win, Tottenham lose their well-deserved place in next year's Champions League ... :cry:

*starts spewing out profanities ...*
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 May 2012, 15:09

The Norwegian idea of Handshake for Peace (by the Nobel Peace Center) will be used by FIFA in coming matches. Note that after every match, you will see team captains shaking hands once again:

With this new protocol, the referee and team captains will now not only shake hands before the match starts, but meet again at the same place on the pitch directly after the final whistle, closing the game with the ‘Handshake for Peace’.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 25 May 2012, 15:43

But I doubt that the hardcore fans will wait for this handshake, before they storm the fields to embrace their winners (or kick their loosers into the ass) ... or to steal the grass with the penalty spot, as seen in the relegation playoff Düsseldorf vs Berlin 2 weeks ago. ;| 8|

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Mar 2013, 23:14

As Tottenham crushed Arsenal, I am dancing every time I see my Gooner-fan colleague at work this week. :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 Mar 2013, 14:16

Kalah wrote: With Chelsea's win,
You can feel better now, Chelsea's been punished... :devil:

But man, we really need someone that can kick the ball half as good as Hagi... whenever our side kicked from afar the ball looked limp and lifeless...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 02 Apr 2013, 00:33

I'm absolutely delighted that Leeds have finally sacked Neil Warnock, albeit two months too late.
But after one year of his treatment, it'll be tough to fight for promotion next year.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Apr 2013, 22:18

Baaaaale! :hail:

PL team of the Year:

GK: David De Gea (Manchester United)
DEF: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City)
DEF: Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)
DEF: Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham)
DEF: Leighton Baines (Everton)
MID: Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
MID: Juan Mata (Chelsea)
MID: Michael Carrick (Manchester United)
MID: Gareth Bale (Tottenham)
ST: Robin van Persie (Manchester United)
ST: Luis Suarez (Liverpool)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 May 2013, 20:01

Tomorrow's the decider ... a way towards growth and glory... or another year of losing players and fighting the odds ...

Spurs must win. And Arsenal must not. Go Spurs! Go mapgpies! :beg:

FourArmedOctopus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby FourArmedOctopus » 24 May 2013, 21:58

Up the Liverpool!!!

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 25 May 2013, 07:36

what a wonderful day for all German soccer fans: :proud:

Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund

in the CL-Final in Wembley.

My heart goes for Yellow-black, but finally the Reds will win the cup.

my tipp is 4 - 2

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 May 2013, 10:56

Both theams have strong defences, so I think fewer goals. 2-1, maybe, with the possibility of another goal home as the away team pushes forwards to equalize, leaving room for counter-attacks.

Koni
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Koni » 25 May 2013, 15:12

Kalah wrote:maybe, with the possibility of another goal home as the away team pushes forwards to equalize, leaving room for counter-attacks.
it' s a final, so without another possibility for a home game ;)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 May 2013, 20:37

Heh, I knew it. 2-1. ;)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 25 May 2013, 23:06

Yes, yes. You continue to try to cover up the fact that you obviously don't know anything about CL finals...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 May 2013, 11:47

Rubbish. You know, despite being played on neutral ground, there is still such a thing as a home and away team! :tongue:

I wasn't talking about first/second legs, I was talking about one team leading 2-1 and that the other would push forward, leaving room for the leading team to possibly score another on a counter-attack.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 01 Jul 2013, 22:54

Paulinho goes to Tottenham after a brilliant Conferedations Cup, says Corinthians and the player himself. Not confirmed by Spurs yet.

A good signing, showing that we're serious about next season. :)

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 19 Oct 2013, 23:55

Just dropping by to share this beautiful goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd3uYeZtEOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBFvkNol7I

(Edit: Replaced the dead link.)
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Nov 2013, 18:59

This city's team, Strømsgodset, just won a dramatic last round of the season to conclude with their first Norwegian Premier division gold medal in 43 years. Lots of fun for the locals, beating the usual winners and favourites Rosenborg by just 1 point.
I'm not really that into Norwegian football anymore, paying closer attention to the Premier League, but it does mean closer competition and lots of local enthusiasm. Good for recruitment.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Nov 2013, 11:41

Great match between Portugal and Sweden last night. The Swedes needed a goal and the task seemed impossible when the Portuguese went 1-0 up. With their away goal in the bag, the hosts needed 3 to qualify for the championship.

I was thinking: 'they could actually still do it if they get a goal in the next few minutes'.

Then it happened. Sweden scored. Then, a few minutes later, they scored again. With quite some time left on the clock, the atmosphere was electric as the home fans thought it was actually possible. The match heated up, it was certainly great for us neutrals. :)

Then, of course, as the Swedes were pushing men forwards (as they had to), Ronaldo scored two in quick succession on quickfire counter-attacks.

Good fun to watch. :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 03 Jun 2014, 13:37

Some teams will have a tough time playing in the heat in this World Cup. I was reading that USA and Croatia will have long journeys going to and fro for their matches (+- 5,5k Km each) and also will play in the Northern cities, which are pretty much hot (all year round).

Belgium, however, will travel no more than 700 Km during the first matches, staying Southeast all the time.

Some of the games will be around the corner of where I live (so to speak), in Curitiba (300 km from here) and Porto Alegre (400 Km). I hope some foreign beautiful chicks come over. :-D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Return to “Campfire”