Heroes AI?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
darussiaman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes AI?

Unread postby darussiaman » 20 Apr 2006, 00:30

Is it just me or has the AI in heroes gotten worse with every new release? I think I remember thinking that the AI was doing some stupid crap in H3 which it didn't do in H2 (haven't played H3 in a while though). And I'm more certain I remember thinking it was even worse in H4. But you guys are saying the same thing about H4 AI in other threads (I think) so I must be right on that one. But the question is, was AI also worse in H3 compared to H2? Or what about H1? I never really played it, just tried it out on a couple occasions out of curiosity. But I'm mostly wondering what you guys think about the last 3.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 20 Apr 2006, 06:45

H3 AI is worse to H2 AI only because of the increased strategical and tactical depth of the former. Otherwise they are pretty much in the same level.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 06:54

Humakt wrote:H3 AI is worse to H2 AI only because of the increased strategical and tactical depth of the former. Otherwise they are pretty much in the same level.
Some say this goes fo HIV,meaning that the same AI was used in a completely different game.Although I remember reading somewhere that HIV AI was built from scratch.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Apr 2006, 07:25

Well, the H2 AI certainly had some modifications if it was implemented in H3- it didn't autosplit it armies in half anymore, f.ex.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 20 Apr 2006, 13:25

IIRC, the H2 ai was also notoriously bad at resource management...
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 20 Apr 2006, 13:33

The H2 AI was also far worse at handling boats and sea movement, I think.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 20 Apr 2006, 14:06

H2 AI was good, but the "divide and conquer" exploit killed it. You give it enough troops, though, and it would offer anyone a stiff challenge, because at least it was aggressive.

H3 AI I felt was generally better, though less aggressive than H2 AI. D&C exploit was fixed, so AI did tend to develop superheroes like a human player, but sometimes it gave powerful artifacts to scouts for some reason. Still, it did again give some decent challenge.

H4 AI was..... wait, was there an AI in H4?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Guard of BH
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Guard of BH » 21 Apr 2006, 08:42

hmm lets see i would compare heroes 3 and 4 and i can say in4th the Ai was really good in calculating movement and summoning and stuff like that which sometimes surprised me as almost cheating hehe,,,, in 3th the Ai is rather good its mean and it tries to trian his main hero for good and you cant figure out where the main army would go he switches th army quite ofthen... which sometimes makes your invasion delayed cause you are not sure where the hell his swarm is :)
BH - is the name of the place where i work :)

My pic suits the animal of the year i was born :)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Apr 2006, 10:21

I think the AI is extremely unbalanced in H4. I play mainly easy and normal maps and they are usually all the same (difficulty-wise) but sometimes I come across one where the opponent (AI) is outrageously strong even if we had the same starting-opportunities. I am not sure what to do about it and that is one of the reasons I don't try the higher difficulty maps.... :nervous:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Apr 2006, 12:22

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:I think the AI is extremely unbalanced in H4. I play mainly easy and normal maps and they are usually all the same (difficulty-wise) but sometimes I come across one where the opponent (AI) is outrageously strong even if we had the same starting-opportunities. I am not sure what to do about it and that is one of the reasons I don't try the higher difficulty maps.... :nervous:
The difficulty of the map is based only on mapmakers skill,since AI is always dumb as a brick.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 Apr 2006, 13:12

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:I think the AI is extremely unbalanced in H4. I play mainly easy and normal maps and they are usually all the same (difficulty-wise) but sometimes I come across one where the opponent (AI) is outrageously strong even if we had the same starting-opportunities. I am not sure what to do about it and that is one of the reasons I don't try the higher difficulty maps.... :nervous:
The difficulty of the map is based only on mapmakers skill,since AI is always dumb as a brick.
Hehe...true...
I'm not sure you understood the question, though...I play easy and normal maps on easy and normal difficulty. Then why is the opponent in certain maps extremely strong compared to me when we had the same basic elements to begin with. I.e. same amount of mines etc.
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Apr 2006, 13:49

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Hehe...true...
I'm not sure you understood the question, though...I play easy and normal maps on easy and normal difficulty. Then why is the opponent in certain maps extremely strong compared to me when we had the same basic elements to begin with. I.e. same amount of mines etc.
Placed events.Usually there are events in front of towns that boost AI heroes.Also,some events boost their creatures,resources,and dictate town development.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Apr 2006, 19:39

H3 AI:
At first I couldn't figure why he didn't Teleport back. Figured he was out of mana and was waiting to regen. Then I realised what he had under his feet. :devil:
It's even better when you consider that that was his best hero.

Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Apr 2006, 20:16

Whats he standing on?A well? :|

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 28 Apr 2006, 20:32

No. Take another look. You can see it all over the place...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Apr 2006, 20:32

Look closer.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Apr 2006, 20:46

He teleported himself on cursed ground?Well it seems like a perfect mapmakers trap :devil:

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 28 Apr 2006, 20:49

:hoo: that's what i call unlucky, and the worst thing is, the ai won't even feel furstrated, it just don't know whats going on
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Apr 2006, 21:02

BenchBreaker wrote::hoo: that's what i call unlucky, and the worst thing is, the ai won't even feel furstrated, it just don't know whats going on
Ahh...Its so good to make fun of something completely unemotinal :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Apr 2006, 21:10

Hmm... I might actualy go back and attack him just for the heck of it. I made Power Lich rank with that scenario. :devil:

Return to “Heroes I-IV”