Might and Magic X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic X

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 02 Jun 2013, 12:13

Larec wrote:
Deftclaw Redreaver wrote:So, Everyone! What is the thing you're most anticipated about Might and Magic X? Personally I don't think I will bother buying the game as I only like the HoMM III and Might and Magic 6-8 (enroth-Erathia- Antagaritch) Because I find the games by Ubisoft is just boring and I don't like it
Is this the RPGcodex?

You haven't even played the game or even seen any real gameplay footage yet you are already passing significant and final judgement upon it? Ubisoft may still carry the stigma of their always-on DRM and horrible PC port past, but they've come a long way since then. Just take a look at what they've done for the Far Cry series and how great the third one turned out if you don't believe me.

Also, remember that Ubi isn't making this game. A team of developers who were assembled specifically to make a true MM (Limbic) is doing it.

In the interviews they've stated this game is being done because Ubi wants to see if the market is truly out there for these types of RPGs. With Grimrock being a success they feel it is....and if close minded grumps like you refuse to even give it a chance then don't gripe when you never see another true CRPG again.

Truly, I despise thinking like this. To quote an oft-used meme "This is why we can't have nice things"
huh, from what ive seen on the Codex all of them wants this game, but still hate Ubisoft.

who knows, maybe Ubisoft will redeem themselves with MMX in the eyes of the Codex after all the failures with DRm and whatnot.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 03 Jun 2013, 12:16

When this game will be relased?

What am would like to see is to move faster than in Grimrock, in big open world always in M&M bother me that am wish to travell faster. With turn based that may be super sloow and it worry me mostly. For example Grimrocks wasnt super tragic as its dungeon and limited space where you move, but am not sure it would work in big open landscape. For example in WoX fast travell is possible, but when each step is animated it may slow whole game too much.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 03 Jun 2013, 19:57

koval321 wrote:When this game will be relased?
as i know ubi planning to release this autumn
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 05 Jun 2013, 21:02

The lack of updates since the announcement is doing my head in. I assume we will have to wait until E3 for any more news.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 06 Jun 2013, 07:32

Ryder wrote:The lack of updates since the announcement is doing my head in. I assume we will have to wait until E3 for any more news.
Well, we've been hard at work ^^ There has been some previews in several magazines in the last few weeks (Game Informer notably) but don't worry, news are coming :)

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 06 Jun 2013, 19:54

Marzhin wrote:Well, we've been hard at work ^^ There has been some previews in several magazines in the last few weeks (Game Informer notably) but don't worry, news are coming :)
I'm sure you have been flat stick but a new screenshot or two a week since the announcement wouldn't have been too much to ask for would it? Just something to continue to wet our appetite and keep the game in the forefront of everyone's mind.

I'll continue to wait impatiently for news.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 06 Jun 2013, 20:30

^^Yeah, and why not let us "real" players tell you what's good and what needs work: Before it comes out! :proud:

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 06 Jun 2013, 21:30

Variol wrote:^^Yeah, and why not let us "real" players tell you what's good and what needs work: Before it comes out! :proud:
Yeah, speaking of that, have a look here :)
https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 09 Jun 2013, 22:58

Please tell me we're going to see some lenghty game-play footage the Ubisoft conference, the wait is killing me.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Jun 2013, 21:50

Check out this nice wireframe.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Jun 2013, 20:22

Well, about this game. I'm sure it will lose even more of the ambience of the predecessors. Heroes didn't take it so badly, simply because the games were technically pure fantasy. MM, on the other hand, always was science fantasy, so setting the game in Ashan will make it suffer, I think.

BTW, I have only played MM 6 to 8, and therefore got used to real time combat. I very rarely use turn-based in these games, except for 6 (although it does help early on when your characters are weak). Making a game confined to turn-based combat after having four that didn't do it feels like a step back. Not to mention that moving tile after tile after being able to move freely in the four preceding games... I have never quite got around to learn the charm of turn based play, therefore I'm not very eagerly anticipating MMX. If, on the other hand, it was NWO that was making the game, I'd be pissing myself from excitement.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 25 Jun 2013, 11:16

Turn based games, if done very well, can be extremely exciting. The problem was in MM6-8 you could easily cheese it by doing real time and dodging ranged attacks while moving, flying past creatures and just generally exploiting the AI (also you could switch to turn based mode just to do things like cast specific spells on enemies without them moving). It was fun but made a lot of stuff much easier than it was probably meant to be.

Might and Magic X as turn based and tile based would have to be much harder, with more strategic options that make you actually think during combat and not just mash the same buttons all the time. This is where most turn based games (or hybrids like Baldurs Gate or Final Fantasy 12) become really interesting, you end up pausing a lot to make tactical decisions as free flowing combat on its own isn't enough to win most battles.

My biggest fear is that the game is designed for casual players with no option (but to rush for the late game) for anyone who picks up the game quickly. My best hope is that the game allows you to immediately say how hard you want the game to be at the start, no Might and Magic game has ever done this yet, hopefully this is the first.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Jun 2013, 15:33

Spin wrote:My best hope is that the game allows you to immediately say how hard you want the game to be at the start, no Might and Magic game has ever done this yet, hopefully this is the first.
Gates to Another World and World of Xeen disapprove of this sentence.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 27 Jun 2013, 01:28

I have just read the story outline for the original MMX. I almost shed a tear for all the wasted awesomeness.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 27 Jun 2013, 06:36

Might and Magic X as turn based and tile based would have to be much harder, with more strategic options that make you actually think during combat and not just mash the same buttons all the time. This is where most turn based games (or hybrids like Baldurs Gate or Final Fantasy 12) become really interesting, you end up pausing a lot to make tactical decisions as free flowing combat on its own isn't enough to win most battles.
Locking to turn based only sure makes game much more harders, since you cant just run away, dodge projectiles etc. Still making it tile based is somewhat too much old school. It would have been cool if they made it turn based like wizardry 8. Still can hope that they will revive series for more high end titles after they release mmx, not just one niche product game just to appease fans.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Jun 2013, 13:14

Xfing wrote:I have just read the story outline for the original MMX. I almost shed a tear for all the wasted awesomeness.
Link please ;)
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

MadeOMeat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MadeOMeat » 27 Jun 2013, 14:03

tress wrote:Still can hope that they will revive series for more high end titles after they release mmx, not just one niche product game just to appease fans.
With the best will in the world, MMX is not going to be a big seller. That's why they're giving it a cheapo game engine. Not because of any "Legacy" nonsense. If they were serious about the "Legacy" of Might and Magic the game wouldn't be set in Ashan. If they were serious about the "Legacy" of Might and Magic they'd give it an innovative interface and make use of recent advances in computer tech.

They're hoping to sell a copy to the nostalgic fans who still remember the old series. That's the market. That's not your average gamer. The budget and scope of the game has to be set correspondingly lower to compensate.

Cudos to them for bothering with this rather than joining the general trend of making brown war games to try and sell to the millions of Call of Duty players.

It would work a lot better for them if they could ditch Ashan and make it a proper M&M game, and ditch Ubisoft's DRM so they could sell it on GOG. The fact that they can't is going to limit sales even further. I'm right in the target demographic for this game, but I am by no means sold on it. And it appears (from reading Ubi's own forum) that I'm not the only one.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jun 2013, 14:19

MadeOMeat wrote:If they were serious about the "Legacy" of Might and Magic the game wouldn't be set in Ashan.
I can't believe people are still going on and on and on and on about this ... :disagree:
But you have a point when you say:
MadeOMeat wrote: With the best will in the world, MMX is not going to be a big seller. That's why they're giving it a cheapo game engine.
Obviously, UbiLimb are testing the water here, trying to figure out if this road is even worth travelling or if they should simply drop the RPGs and go down the other paths they have been exploring. By making a small-medium sized game, the devs need to keep the budget down and convince Ubisoft that they can "kick it up a notch" later. I'm actually glad they're doing it this way instead of "going for broke". That way, if MMX is deemed a success, it may be easier for the producers to go the top brass with a request for more. It's a lot easier to convince the top management into increasing their investments if past ventures have been successful. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

MadeOMeat
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MadeOMeat » 27 Jun 2013, 14:36

Kalah wrote:
MadeOMeat wrote:If they were serious about the "Legacy" of Might and Magic the game wouldn't be set in Ashan.
I can't believe people are still going on and on and on and on about this ... :disagree:
You're entitled to your opinion, but if they want to sell a Might and Magic game to me they're going to find it a lot harder if the game isn't even in the same genre as the games I used to buy. We're talking about sales here, and I'm talking about lost sales because of Ubisoft's bloody-mindedness.
Kalah wrote: Obviously, UbiLimb are testing the water here, trying to figure out if this road is even worth travelling or if they should simply drop the RPGs and go down the other paths they have been exploring. By making a small-medium sized game, the devs need to keep the budget down and convince Ubisoft that they can "kick it up a notch" later. I'm actually glad they're doing it this way instead of "going for broke". That way, if MMX is deemed a success, it may be easier for the producers to go the top brass with a request for more. It's a lot easier to convince the top management into increasing their investments if past ventures have been successful. :)
Good luck to them. If they can make some good RPGs on the way everyone wins.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jun 2013, 17:03

Ubisoft have long since recognized that the fans that are of the opinion that it's either their way or not at all, cannot be reasoned with. They always wanted to turn the M&M brand into something of their own, and one of the first decisions they made was that they could do without those customers since they were in the clear minority.
I call fans like that "purists", when they want everything the way it was before. ;)

Return to “Might and Magic”