mm6 conditions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
MarisVetra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

mm6 conditions

Unread postby MarisVetra » 16 Jun 2013, 19:18

Hello celestial heavens! I looked all over internet and couldnt find explanation for conditions in mm6(or any other mm).

What i would like to know is:
Afraid - what does it actually do, and how bad is the impact? Is it worth removing fear?
Insane - while its on knight, does it make him stronger? It adds strenght while insane, but maybe there are some recovery time issues or something.
Disease/Poison - Any hidden stuff here? Or just pure 7statistic/sleep effect?

EDIT: Also, how does recovery time affect spellcasting? Is it worth leveling to chain master for my cleric if all he does is heals and buffs?

Thank you in advance!

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 16 Jun 2013, 19:45

Afraid: I do believe slows down your characters recovery time.
Insane: I'm not sure what it does stat wise, but it makes it so you cannot regenerate spellpoints naturally (via sleeping).
Disease and poison: I do believe they just mess with your character's stats.
Recovery time: Yes, it is effected and is very much worth it to master chain in order to make recovery from doing the spell shorter
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zib » 16 Jun 2013, 21:26

Basically most of the status ailments you mention are changing your base stats.
Insanity, for example, modify your stats as : strength 200%, int & per 10%, end 150%, speed 120%, so it could be useful if you don't need your MP (since it also prevents MP regen). If you want an insane char for some buried sword picking or just more damage, you can drink from a well on a little island north of Silvercove to get insanity.
You can get the percentages here:
http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm7/status.shtml

Afraid does nothing to your recovery, except possibly making it better through the speed boost you get, so by no means it makes it worse.

I believe Weak halves your damage in mm6, be it from physical attacks or spells. I don't remember such an effect in mm7+, not sure about this particular one.

I also believe recovery has no effect at all on spellcasting, at least recovery from speed or enchantment bonus/armor and weapon malus. So I quite often don't bother with my caster's armor skills unless they're using weapons often.

zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zib » 16 Jun 2013, 22:12

Just made a little testing about recovery in my mm6 game.
It's about a paladin casting first aid (and doing a melee attack for comparison) in different recovery situations:

- speed 50, plate expert wearing some, spear and shield normal wearing some : Recovery 96
Heal : recovery 4.7s (all results +- 0.02s)
Melee attack : recovery 3.2s
- speed 192, not wearing plate, not wearing shield : Recovery 66
Heal : recovery 4.7s
Melee: 2.2s
- speed 182 (same breakpoint), no plate no shield BUT item "of recovery": Recovery 60
Heal : recovery 4.3s
Melee: 2.0s

So yeah, basically recovery does nothing to spellcasting, except for "of recovery" items, and I suspect it's something coming from Grayface's patch. "Of recovery" didn't work and he made it so it gives 10% bonus recovery, apparently this one bypasses the mechanism and works on spells (the heal recovery is then strangely 10% lower, cant be a coincidence^^).
But that's a very special case anyways.

EDIT: oh, all previous things apply to REAL TIME by the way. Didnt check turn-based, and I seem to remember they were some differences in some aspects of the combat system, so would need a check to be sure and complete.

MarisVetra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MarisVetra » 16 Jun 2013, 22:29

Thanks the beavers1, and zib for answers! Link and testing results were really helpful! I wonder how can you tell these numbers? You have additional program to see recovery time?
zib wrote:Afraid does nothing to your recovery, except possibly making it better through the speed boost you get, so by no means it makes it worse.
the beavers1 wrote:Afraid: I do believe slows down your characters recovery time.
Its interesting, i always had a suspicion that it slows down the recovery time, but zib you sound like a smart guy, if youre sure that it doesnt slow down, any idea what it actually does? Because it doesnt affect any stats as far as i have seen. Whats about that speed? You mean the stat "Speed" or what boost you mean?

EDIT: Almoust forgot - i was just drinking black potions for +20 temporary levels and thinking about this +1 age drawback. If i understand correctly its not real age and can be removed with rejuvination potion only. So i'm wondering is it worth getting materials(3 yellow herbs for each pot! Yaikes!) for the potion? What is effect of aging? My characters die when they reach 99?:)

zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zib » 16 Jun 2013, 22:46

-How can I tell the numbers
The recovery time is shown by right clicking on your melee or ranged weapon to-hit bonus in your char sheet. But it might be a feature from MM6 Grayface's patch, I don't remember if it's vanilla. If you're not using it, I advise you to use this unofficial patch because it fixes lots of things and enables mouse view.
As for recovery translation into actual seconds, I just recorded myself, then went into some video editor to make some measurements.

-Afraid
As for the afraid condition, the link I gave states the following :
Lowers Intellect, Personality, and Accuracy by 50%. Raises Might and Speed by 20%. Cured by a Remove Fear spell.
So yeah, by "Speed" I meant the speed stat, not the recovery secondary stat (but recovery is given a -1 bonus from each speed breakpoint).

Also while going for my recovery tests I also checked afraid (did a quick trip to Mire of the Damned, got afraid and recovery didnt change - well in fact it got a -1 bonus for breaking a speed breakpoint).

Age, when getting too high, can make your physical stats lower and your intellectual ones higher. Another % based effect, a bit like insanity, on your base stats ;). You feel it between 50-99 years. Even older will kill your intellectual bonus, then there's a third stage where it's even worse.
A rejuv' potions is indeed a solution to this, but at the cost of -1 to all stats IIRC. IIRC again, there's a well doing the same thing (but for no stat cost?) in Hermit's Isle

MarisVetra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MarisVetra » 17 Jun 2013, 00:08

Thanks, it all was very helpful! I'm so glad i can talk to someone about these things. You know how it is with offline games, you just live in your own world if none of your friends play the same game. Its amazing that Might and Magic is still alive:)

zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zib » 17 Jun 2013, 01:22

Yeah, true about solo games! But there are forums to share things, normal gameplays or challenging ones like solo or special-rules games ;)
Also, seeing how many Let's Play M&M you can find, I guess some people found making a LP is kind of breaking the solo feeling, haha.

About the fact people are still playing M&M, I guess it's because there's still no successor to M&M. If the other players are like me, I guess every two years they just think "Ok, it's time to play M&M again!" and do mm6-9 again ! (careful with mm9; it's a bit like the fight club for some players : You do not talk about mm9. :D)

What do I like so much in M&M ? Well, hard to tell but here are some ideas:
- The ascension from half-sh.it to God of the Universe. You start your adventure fleeing from rats or flies, you end it butchering full armies of dragons ! :D. There are other games with big progressions but I think this one's exaggeration is just the biggest of 'em all ! And that's sooo good.
Just imagine you're a peasant wandering randomly in some Might & Magic city. Suddendly, a party of adventurers appear from nowhere near the town fountain (they probably cast town portal). Then you see em starting to levitate and go in the air way above the fountain; you can feel the malevolent look they're throwing at you while getting high enough to show you their rank and remind you of your peasant status. The last thing you see before leaving this world is the horrible smile of one of the adventurers while he casts a powerful spell shattering the whole area, putting an end to any form of life in miles! Not to mention he resurrects you to torment you some more with a shrapmetal blast before teleporting away for real.

- There is a TON of mobs, altough it decreases with every new M&M after the 6th. I mean, in M&M6 you have some room-fights involving like a hundred of em ! And I like butchering tons of mobs easily. More than painfully killing little packs of mobs, especially since the first one does not exclude putting a few harder mobs in the crowd. That's why I always liked Diablo 2 more than its clones, you get to kill hundreds of mobs in seconds.

- The spells. The spells are so enjoyable they deserve to be split into multiple points. So let me use this point to just mention that even the stupid damage dealing spells are enjoyable because their use is so different.
- The flying spell. That's why you play Might and Magic, be honest.
- Town Portal & Lloyd's Beacons. This is maybe my personal thing, but I live for these spells. I enjoy them so much. S-o-m-u-c-h. Unless in a no-caster playthrough of course (well, then I still try to grab a few scrolls or GateMaster NPCS^^). In other games you just click a map and you're teleported there. Here, you have to mess with Coach, feet, or boat travel until you get these => pleasure! Morrowind had town portal, flying and beacons (well, just mark and recall, a weak Lloyd :p), just for that I liked it more than following Elder Scrolls :D
- Enchant item. This is linked to a few other enjoyable thingies: makes money (dunno why, but in this game I like getting money more than in other games, even if it's a bit useless :p The piles of gold are so nice), and helps building your stuff

- Building your stuff: another enjoyable thing in this game. Let's be honest, the items in M&M are not the best of all games, I mean, they're not very complex or uber-interesting. By this I mean that's usually plain boosts to your stats or skills, so that's nothing really complex, although still pretty decent. But I like the graphics of the items on your character's sheet.

- Story wise, I liked the things you learn about the world in the end-game or even upon finishing the games. But that was only in my first playthroughs. Not spoiling anything here just in case.

- High replayability. If you're disciplined enough to not always take the same basic team, you can really get different gameplays/experiences. Not to mention you can just set yourself nice challenges like class restrictions, no levelling, speed game, solo game, and so on, this will change the gameplay aswell.

- Non-linearity : you can go almost everywhere from the start, and the games wants you to, by scattering teachers and quest givers everywhere, as well as setting different difficulties for dungeons inside the same area. Of course, the latter holds less true once you know how to cheese the game ;)

... many other things I'm just too lazy to talk about !

Long life to M&M ! :D

MarisVetra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MarisVetra » 17 Jun 2013, 02:27

Yeah agreed!

Monster thing - completely correct! I also enjoy killing 40 monsters at 10hp each, instead of 2 monsters 200hp each, like i have had in some games rpg(dont remember name).

Non-linearity! Thats what makes mm6 sooo enjoyable in comparison to MM7 & 8 and super enjoyable compared to other RPGs. Theres also very little linearity in Fallout2(dont recall about fallout1), perhaps thats one of the reasons why its my 2nd favorite rpg after M&M.

Party creation! So much space for creativity! I just love it, and thats also the reason why i have finished MM8 only once or twice - i cannot create my party there;(

Also you already mentioned how you learn about the game storywise while youre progressing, i'd like to point out the "rumors" that random people are talking - Stuff about succession wars, royal family of enroth, about enrothian code, tips how to complete quests, local rumor about whats going on in the city, and even small things - a person can tell about another person that he "knows" - someone who teaches a particular skill for example.

As well as you i could write forever, and probably still wont get everything in! But number one thing why i like this from ANY OTHER GAME I HAVE PLAYED - game developers, Jon Van Canigham, you can tell - they had SOO MUCH FUN MAKING THE GAME! I dont know how but i can feel it! How in intro video devil is laughing at the fighters party(its not like evil genius laughs, but just like hes at party and someone just told him a joke), The NWC dungeon - even thou this has been in other games, in MM6 you get there from New sorpigal - to strongest place in the world - Dragonsand - Gold dragon crowd!, you cant in simple mind think of something like this, you just have to have this feeling inside of you "Lets make something mind blowing! Lets put something so amazing in the game from very beginning! And make it a secret room!" and you cant get this feeling if youre not having fun. In this game there is not so much gore/breaking of rules/evil orders where you have to face the leaders and go into conversations with them, game has little sorrow/darkness at it as well if we can compare it to Fallout - post apocaliptic, Planescape: torment - youre living as a zombie in some kind of afterlife world or smthn, it was so dark that i never got to the end, just too depressing lol - and many others. Free Haven - Such a huge city, that its fun trying to figure out - where the hell was i going? What do i need? I remember when it was one of first times i played this game and got to Free Haven i used to spend hours there, just going from house to house - exploring stuff, reading the rumors, checking out the shops...

It was one of my first games/series that i grew to love and i still will all my life! Long live Might and Magic!

MarisVetra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MarisVetra » 18 Jun 2013, 15:04

checking my signature, thankyou for your attention!
"In moment of difficulty, lies an opportunity"

- Albert Einstein

zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zib » 19 Jun 2013, 00:49

physics, heh ? Okay, editing my sig aswell then. :D
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”

― Richard P. Feynman

MarisVetra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MarisVetra » 20 Jun 2013, 17:48

:D what my sig has got to do with physics?
"In moment of difficulty, lies an opportunity"

- Albert Einstein

rubiconiii
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: mm6 conditions

Unread postby rubiconiii » 22 Dec 2018, 18:25

Can't seem to find any info on this anywhere or in my recollection:

Is there a way to counter conditions other than wearing an item this gives immunity to a certain condition.

That is, does Protection from Poison decrease the likeliness getting poisoned or maybe diseased?
Or does Prot. from Magic counter Stoned in any way? Or does Prot. from Fire counter Eradicated?

Or has it got to do with AC, level and/or Luck?

Or is it a chance that is rolled on every successful attack from the enemy?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Re: mm6 conditions

Unread postby Macros the Black » 10 Jan 2019, 12:59

rubiconiii wrote:Can't seem to find any info on this anywhere or in my recollection:

Is there a way to counter conditions other than wearing an item this gives immunity to a certain condition.

That is, does Protection from Poison decrease the likeliness getting poisoned or maybe diseased?
Or does Prot. from Magic counter Stoned in any way? Or does Prot. from Fire counter Eradicated?

Or has it got to do with AC, level and/or Luck?

Or is it a chance that is rolled on every successful attack from the enemy?
https://grayface.github.io/mm/mechanics/
Read the part titled "statistics" and then the part titled "chance to hit and resistances".
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Might and Magic”