H4: Favourite level 1 pair

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Which is your favourite level 1 pair?

Squire & Crossbowman
28%
Dwarf & Halfling
4%
Skeleton & Imp
6%
Rogue & Orc
17%
Wolf & Sprite
28%
Berserker & Centaur
17%

Total votes: 47

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

H4: Favourite level 1 pair

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Apr 2006, 10:33

I know this topic was widely discussed on the old boards, but I don't think I've seen it on these new ones yet.

All of those have their strengths and weaknesses, but my first reaction is to pick the nature pair, because I appreciate their great speed & initiative. Plus, the sprites' no retaliation and wolves' double attack abilities are great.

Others I like: Dwarf and Halfling. I like the halflings not because they are an outstanding level 1 shooter, but because they usually have precision readily available to them via the mage controlling them. The dwarves serve as the halflings' bodyguards. :D

Crossbowman & Squire: Same as above, except the crossbowmen need no precision to shoot without penalty.

Rogues (but not Orcs): for their ability to snatch resources and treasures at the very beginning of the game, which gives a great advantage to Chaos.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 28 Apr 2006, 12:22

I can't say I like any pair. I do, however, like Sprites (speed + no retal), Imps (speed + mana drain) and Berserkers (raw power).

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 28 Apr 2006, 13:12

Berserker & Centaur

The berserkers is dangerous and the centaurs are just as great. :-D

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: H4: Favourite level 1 pair

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 28 Apr 2006, 13:34

Metathron wrote: All of those have their strengths and weaknesses, but my first reaction is to pick the nature pair, because I appreciate their great speed & initiative. Plus, the sprites' no retaliation and wolves' double attack abilities are great.
Wolves have far too low growth to serve as a decent L1 troop. At least, that's been my experience. I much prefer the Squire+Crossbowmen of the combos you've listed.

But my absolute favorite is Pirates+Bandits. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Apr 2006, 13:41

Voted the life pair.I simply love crossbowmen,and squires are excelent meat shield.Second would be nature,although I dont quite like wolves,and then might because of their...well,sheer might.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 28 Apr 2006, 13:55

Voted wolf and sprite. Somehow that pair just never lets me down :-D
No retal and double attack is great and usually I don't invest in level 2 creatures as soon as possible because I'm doing fine with these two (note: For a while I do fine). A couple of hundred sprites can do massive damage!

Mesa love :applause:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Apr 2006, 14:14

I like Halflings, and the Dwarfs are nice tanks. The Berserker & Centaur come in 2nd, and the Life pair 3rd.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

kitcat0
Scout
Scout

went with nature

Unread postby kitcat0 » 28 Apr 2006, 14:15

I like their speed and sprites can actually be useful in middle game. But usually I ditch first level creatures as soon as they start slowing me down.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Apr 2006, 14:50

Bandobras Took wrote:
Metathron wrote: All of those have their strengths and weaknesses, but my first reaction is to pick the nature pair, because I appreciate their great speed & initiative. Plus, the sprites' no retaliation and wolves' double attack abilities are great.
Wolves have far too low growth to serve as a decent L1 troop. At least, that's been my experience. I much prefer the Squire+Crossbowmen of the combos you've listed.

But my absolute favorite is Pirates+Bandits. :)
I'm not that bothered about the wolves' growth. The fact that the enemy seems to make a frequent target of them is more annoying. But they serve well nonetheless.

What do you like about pirates? They seem like a poor copy of the bandits to me (when on land, anyhow).

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 28 Apr 2006, 15:01

Bandobras Took wrote:Wolves have far too low growth to serve as a decent L1 troop. At least, that's been my experience. I much prefer the Squire+Crossbowmen of the combos you've listed.
the centaur is also seriously low, only 9!

anyway, voted sprite/wolf, the fastest combo and powerful too.
I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure...
:oex: winner of the the worst riddle ever :tonguehands:

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 28 Apr 2006, 16:18

vote squire/crossbowman
I like the xbowman's range and the squire stun has helped me out of a jam a number of times.
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 28 Apr 2006, 17:32

BenchBreaker wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:Wolves have far too low growth to serve as a decent L1 troop. At least, that's been my experience. I much prefer the Squire+Crossbowmen of the combos you've listed.
But the centaur is a pretty sturdy beast at 20 hp and 3-5 damage.

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 28 Apr 2006, 17:36

Metathron wrote:
BenchBreaker wrote:
But the centaur is a pretty sturdy beast at 20 hp and 3-5 damage.
i know, it's still too low! the berseker has 18 hp and does 2-3 twice (well the second attack might do less as some of them may die) but on average it'll do (2-3)*1.5 = 3 - 4.5 damage.

pesonally i think centaurs should be at least lv2 (lv3 if 7 levels), i mean they are big and strong, why are they always lv1??

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Apr 2006, 18:03

Might creatures need to be extra strong since they do lack magics.Centaurs and bersekers are pretty good balanced.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 28 Apr 2006, 18:09

same for the berserkers, why only lvl 1?

Black Ghost
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Black Ghost » 29 Apr 2006, 09:04

sprites/wolves rule
Very good scouting, with no retal unit & nice double attacker creature

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 29 Apr 2006, 10:55

Skeleton/Imp...True, Skeletons are a little slow, and imps are fragile, but I think they're a good combo...

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 Apr 2006, 16:04

dallasmavs41 wrote:Skeleton/Imp...True, Skeletons are a little slow, and imps are fragile, but I think they're a good combo...
At least you get a lot of 'em...

BenchBreaker
Demon
Demon

Unread postby BenchBreaker » 29 Apr 2006, 16:37

dallasmavs41 wrote:Skeleton/Imp...True, Skeletons are a little slow, and imps are fragile, but I think they're a good combo...
skeletons are too slow imo, i usually go for ghosts with necromacy, any skeletons that i make before i can make ghosts immediately leaves the amry to collect resources and to explore, and if they survive, they eventually go back to a town and garrison it.

Big J Money
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Big J Money » 30 Apr 2006, 03:49

For the early game, I like Berseker and Centaur, and then the Berserker begins to suck later on when you start to create tactics but you have to leave the Berserkers out of them. 8|

=$= Big J Money =$=

Return to “Heroes I-IV”