MM6 : Your Favorite NPC

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
MM6Kergmond
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6 : Your Favorite NPC

Unread postby MM6Kergmond » 12 May 2013, 12:00

Hello to all,

For this question i didn't created a poll for the simple reason that there are so many possibilities.
Feel free to choose any character you found interesting in MM6..wether we meet him/her or if he/she is just a background character.

Not only for the pleasure to make one more poll but this question interest me, outside of course of it's value in the game.
I've worked in applying the MM system in pen and paper and i'm designing a scenarii.
Knowing the kind of NPC that players can find interesting can be a great help to design something interesting and appealing for all. Not only with my own point of view.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 May 2013, 12:22

That's a hard one. I don't really recall all the different NPCs...

Well, Albert Newton was surely memorable. Archibald Ironfist is also always an interesting guy, although he doesn't talk much.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 May 2013, 12:40

Could you say something about why you find those characters memorable? What was it that made them special?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 May 2013, 13:03

Kalah wrote:Could you say something about why you find those characters memorable? What was it that made them special?
It's quite obvious. Newton is funny, Archibald is cool due to his Affably Evil personality.

And what about yourself, Kalah? ;)

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 12 May 2013, 14:47

Limiting it to 6 is hard, because no one really stands out compared to some of the other games. Loretta Fleice maybe due to how much she fits the role. When she kicks you to Lord Stone after recovering the Ankh was great.

Might as well start a list for the rest of the games at this point

MM1: JVC
MM2: Lord Peabody
MM3: Lord Tumult
MM4: Mayor of Winterkill
MM5: Sheltem, Alister is a close second (Druid from the Dragon Tower)
MM6: Loretta Fleice
MM7: Kastore, Archibald is a close 2nd
MM8: Gralkor the Cruel
MM9: Markel the Great

Overall: Kastore, how can you not like the guy that shoots a messenger and even his own servants in separate cut-scenes? Sure he is a bit cliche, but he fills his role well. Even when you rescue Roland he is less than impressed because he would have liked an extra bargaining chip. You really feel the atmopshere when he presses 999 on the forge.

MM6Kergmond
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MM6Kergmond » 12 May 2013, 21:57

thank you very much for your two opinions!
That's a hard one. I don't really recall all the different NPCs...
You gave those who made you the best impression and i suppose it's always them we choose as favorite.
Limiting it to 6 is hard, because no one really stands out compared to some of the other games
You are right, some personalities are probably more interesting in other MM. Now there are many interesting people in the 6 who can strike a memory. From Sir John Silver who founded this brotherhood to fight evil that turned to become like those they fought to Gharik, this Blacksmith of Genius who retired on this little island to profit of the lava of the volcano for his works.
I could also talk about Cedric Duther, the cursed Druid, etc
I will not say too much to avoid influncing the opinions.
MM8: Gralkor the Cruel
Pure curiosity : why the lord of Earth ?

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 12 May 2013, 22:29

Purely due to his reaction to being rescued, which was the only one of the four that felt accurate. "That I am called Gralkor the Cruel is no mistake". He only shows up for the one screen (well and the endgame, but that doesn't really count), and maybe other than the guild master in Alvar, it really was the only thing I considered memorable from the NPCs. I should add that of the four elemental lords, he is my least favorite due to the backstory in the MM2 manual, but he is portrayed appropriately in 8.

In terms of pure character development, Dyson Leyland would have been my first choice (Overdune second), but since he joins your party, I didn't consider him an NPC. Just due to how MM8 works, most of the writing is focused on the party (especially with the biographies in the adventurer's inn), so there isn't much at all that stands out in terms of the background characters.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 May 2013, 07:53

The Prince of Thieves was quite good. I like how he's hiding under the bed and his dialogue (though I can't remember exactly what he said) just cracked me up.
There's also Slicker Silvertongue. They really got his personality perfect with his dialogue, and when he leaves the council he has a cool little speech. Just well done in general. I mean, by the time he's still giving you the thumbs down even though you've got the shield you know something's up (heck, if you're paying attention, the name should give it away already) but that doesn't really take much away from how well he's portrayed.

And yeah, Albert Newton was hilarious but without breaking the fourth wall too much.

I'm sure there's more I can't of right now.
Last edited by Macros the Black on 14 May 2013, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Might and Magic”