SoD: Stuck on mission 1

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
doosh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

SoD: Stuck on mission 1

Unread postby doosh » 04 May 2013, 19:11

Is it just me or is the first mission really difficult? I haven't found a single place where I can recruit more units. I finished all the secondary quests so I have been given some more minotaurs, etc, but there is just no way for me to take over the reliquary. The army there is just too big and mine has been slowly dwindled down. And I have even declined to clear out some of the biggest stacks like the ones guarding the arena (+2 attack or +2 defence).

I was hoping I could get some new units from the fort or from that big statue where you trade in crystals for a few units, but that seems to only work once.

After having killed the two enemy units that are guarding the reliquary I have like 3 units left... If I run past them and straight to the reliquary I have maybe 10 minotaurs, 10 "eyes" and 25 of those girls that throw blades, and that's just not enough.

saugeen123
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby saugeen123 » 04 May 2013, 23:07

where did you find 15 christals. and were did you find the manitors. I have found 12 christals can't find any more. after that I don't know where to go.

doosh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby doosh » 05 May 2013, 10:24

saugeen123 wrote:where did you find 15 christals. and were did you find the manitors. I have found 12 christals can't find any more. after that I don't know where to go.
The crystals are all over, guarded by monsters. There are certain things you need to do to be allowed to keep going. Did you, for instance, kill the angel so that the underground passage (dragon's head) opens up?

doosh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby doosh » 05 May 2013, 14:42

There is a dark elf outpost and when I take that I get some bonus creatures. But there isn't a single place on the entire map where I can recruit new creatures. So gathering gold is pointless. So is gathering crystals past the point where you have enough to recruit the lurkers from the tower of eyes.

doosh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby doosh » 05 May 2013, 15:30

I finished the mission but I had to do it in a way I didn't like. I only took the battles I had to take to progress and the battles I could take without taking any losses at all. That meant there were some stat bonus stuff that I missed, and also some artifacts that I didn't clear.

All in all I hate the first mission. As a HOMM player you generally want to take every single bonus thing on the map and also all of the artifacts, but this mission pretty much forces you to ignore some of the power ups. Very frustrating. And after the final battle at the reqliquary you're chased by three heroes so there's no time to "clear the map" before moving on to the next mission.

Very frustrating, and in my opinion, a horrible map.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 06 May 2013, 16:59

Well, you already finished the map, but here's my thoughts on how to make the map easy.

First of all, like in any map without towns, troop conservation. That means Reinforcements I and either Mass Regeneration or Mass Life Drain, if possible from the start. Tactics allows you to place your troops on the battlefield, which makes it a good choice as well.

Shooter will on the first turn attack your chakram throwers (sorry, I don't know the English names), but go for the spooky eyes as soon as their Spirit Form wears off. This means that on the first turn, if the spooky eyes move before the enemy shooters, wait. The second turn shouldn't be a problem because the invisible dudes are fast enough to sneak up and stab any remaining shooters.

Once you get Minotaurs, they become the target of choice, so don't forget Reinforments II. With later troops, the enemy seems to prefer Manticores for Might heroes and Faceless for Magic heroes. Also sometimes dragons and possibly your invisible dudes once they are visible.

That brings up the next part, invisibles dudes should never attack when visible, unless they are sure to wipe out the enemy stack (or reinforced). They start out invisible for the first two turns and you can easily gain enough points on the racial gauge for more invisibility.

When fighting invisible troops, I thought of two strategies. The first works best when there's only a few invisible enemies. Just place your shooters (or any visible bait) in a corner, put the invisible dudes on the square before them and reinforce. No enemy can sneak up to your shooters without passing your invisible dudes and that means they get the first attack. The second is better for army fights, just send a reinforced troop to the middle of the battlefield and see if they'll take the bait.

I only lost troops during the fights with enemy heroes and against Air Elementals. Air Elementals were also the only fights I skipped. Other useful skills are Ambush and the usual Might skills like Archery. All in all, I didn't think the map was very hard as long as you used your hero abilities.

doosh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby doosh » 06 May 2013, 22:25

Ell1e wrote:Well, you already finished the map, but here's my thoughts on how to make the map easy.

First of all, like in any map without towns, troop conservation. That means Reinforcements I and either Mass Regeneration or Mass Life Drain, if possible from the start. Tactics allows you to place your troops on the battlefield, which makes it a good choice as well.

Shooter will on the first turn attack your chakram throwers (sorry, I don't know the English names), but go for the spooky eyes as soon as their Spirit Form wears off. This means that on the first turn, if the spooky eyes move before the enemy shooters, wait. The second turn shouldn't be a problem because the invisible dudes are fast enough to sneak up and stab any remaining shooters.

Once you get Minotaurs, they become the target of choice, so don't forget Reinforments II. With later troops, the enemy seems to prefer Manticores for Might heroes and Faceless for Magic heroes. Also sometimes dragons and possibly your invisible dudes once they are visible.

That brings up the next part, invisibles dudes should never attack when visible, unless they are sure to wipe out the enemy stack (or reinforced). They start out invisible for the first two turns and you can easily gain enough points on the racial gauge for more invisibility.

When fighting invisible troops, I thought of two strategies. The first works best when there's only a few invisible enemies. Just place your shooters (or any visible bait) in a corner, put the invisible dudes on the square before them and reinforce. No enemy can sneak up to your shooters without passing your invisible dudes and that means they get the first attack. The second is better for army fights, just send a reinforced troop to the middle of the battlefield and see if they'll take the bait.

I only lost troops during the fights with enemy heroes and against Air Elementals. Air Elementals were also the only fights I skipped. Other useful skills are Ambush and the usual Might skills like Archery. All in all, I didn't think the map was very hard as long as you used your hero abilities.
Yeah, I was going for logistics, pathfinding, defense and offense and that didn't quite work out for me...

The second mission was a lot easier, except for the fact that you have to go the right way right from the start and you have to not kill too many stacks that only cover gold and resources or you won't make it in time. So for pretty much everyone the second mission will require a restart of the map... I think hardly anyone will make it on the first try.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 May 2013, 05:37

For those having issues with the Dungeon SoD Campaign. I am posting a 'semi walkthrough'. Not near as through as the walkthroughs for Vanilla H6 here, as I can not make the maps or such..but might help some.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Jarin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jarin » 16 May 2013, 13:12

The first mission goes to play on the hardest level without loss of units. I collected all the materials, artifacts and visited all the buildings. Fight personally. Do not leave combat in automatic combat. Pc is satisfied that wins and losses do not mind him.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”