Your Favourite M&M

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Which is your favourite Might & Magic game?

Might & Magic
No votes
Might & Magic II
3%
Might & Magic III
3%
Might & Magic IV
3%
Might & Magic V
8%
Might & Magic VI
39%
Might & Magic VII
35%
Might & Magic VIII
9%
Might & Magic IX
1%

Total votes: 79

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 10 Apr 2013, 04:46

In MM6 it is level 4 expert with Notorious Reputation unless he is talking about the cost to join the guild, learn the skill and train expert, but there is nothing aside from cost and the skill points (horseshoes anyone?) that would stop you from getting master at level 1 with no quests completed.

TCC blocked master for a long time in the game though.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 10 Apr 2013, 08:20

Yes, there's no quest requirement for dark magic mastery. Light magic requires you to perform lots of quests which boost your karma, on the other hand.
GreatEmerald wrote: In my view, that doesn't exist. You can't move in MM6 at all in the slightest, unless to run away. I simply refuse to use real-time mode in combat situations, as running past enemies is just cheap.
I really don't understand your view. You don't want to battle hundreds of enemies but you don't want not to battle them if they exist, too. Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? Being able to freely move in real-time is not cheap, it's a feature; enemies can, why shouldn't you?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Apr 2013, 19:24

hellegennes wrote:Yes, there's no quest requirement for dark magic mastery. Light magic requires you to perform lots of quests which boost your karma, on the other hand.
Huh, really? Well, last time I played MM6, I couldn't learn light or dark after getting guild membership at all. I thought I needed a quest for that.
hellegennes wrote:I really don't understand your view. You don't want to battle hundreds of enemies but you don't want not to battle them if they exist, too. Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? Being able to freely move in real-time is not cheap, it's a feature; enemies can, why shouldn't you?
The thing is that I don't play real-time RPGs. And I view MMs as being turn-based, too. I do go out of turn-based mode when outside of battle, as it's more convenient to move that way, but as soon as there is any enemy at all, I go into turn-based. Now, if MM6 was using the MM7 system and would allow moving in turn-based mode, then yes, I'd agree with you, moving past enemies would be an interesting solution. Although also probably one that would murderface you, because you can't dodge projectiles! I still have memories of clearing The Pit in MM7, it wasn't very easy (but I thought it would still be easier than to use invisibility, given the literally dodgy movement mechanics).

I also tend to play other games that way when given a chance. Like Mass Effect. "Hey, you can bind abilities to keys!" "Screw you, I have the tactical menu for a reason!" And that's also why I'll never play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 10 Apr 2013, 20:14

GreatEmerald wrote:
hellegennes wrote:Yes, there's no quest requirement for dark magic mastery. Light magic requires you to perform lots of quests which boost your karma, on the other hand.
Huh, really? Well, last time I played MM6, I couldn't learn light or dark after getting guild membership at all. I thought I needed a quest for that.
That's actually MM7.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Apr 2013, 21:39

hellegennes wrote:That's actually MM7.
Well no, that was MM6. But maybe I just wasn't attentive enough or something. :S

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 10 Apr 2013, 22:38

What I meant was that you cannot learn Light or Dark magic in MM7, until you choose a path, which means you need to complete a number of main quess first. In MM6 there was no such restriction. You could practically travel to blackshire and acquire Light magic on the first day (using a Gate Master hireling). I actually tested it right now for both Light and Dark. Basically all you need is 8000 gp, for getting the GM hireling, paying for Light and Dark memberships and bying the equivalent skills from the respective guilds. No quests done, no reputation change, no level up, no day passing. There are absolutely zero requirements.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 10 Apr 2013, 23:00

GreatEmerald wrote:
hellegennes wrote:That's actually MM7.
Well no, that was MM6. But maybe I just wasn't attentive enough or something. :S
You can definitely get light and dark right at the start and can get master dark if you want to invest the cash and horseshoes. You can easily lower your reputation (just take a hack at some peasants), but to raise it requires quests which is why light is different. The temples only bring you to respectable and even with a bard you only go up to honorable.

clayman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby clayman » 20 Apr 2013, 20:44

why so little votes for world of xeen? its such a great game imo, but looks like it's not even near as popular as mm6-7

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 20 Apr 2013, 22:31

World of Xeen all the way!
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Apr 2013, 07:10

clayman wrote:why so little votes for world of xeen? its such a great game imo, but looks like it's not even near as popular as mm6-7
Well, the question is "what is your favourite", and even though many people think World of XEEN is good, they still vote for MM6/7, which they view as even better :)

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 21 Apr 2013, 10:39

You can also see it as an appreciation of how much each game made in terms of sales, which I believe is close to the truth.

Donsta
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Donsta » 21 Apr 2013, 12:27

Mandate of Heaven by a long shot.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 21 Apr 2013, 21:19

GreatEmerald wrote:
clayman wrote:why so little votes for world of xeen? its such a great game imo, but looks like it's not even near as popular as mm6-7
Well, the question is "what is your favourite", and even though many people think World of XEEN is good, they still vote for MM6/7, which they view as even better :)
more like the majority here are too young to have seriously gamed the earlier games (although you, i and a few grognards exists), most of you seems to have entered the fray around MM6.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Apr 2013, 06:14

Talin_Trollbane wrote:more like the majority here are too young to have seriously gamed the earlier games (although you, i and a few grognards exists), most of you seems to have entered the fray around MM6.
Well, I entered already after MM9 was released, so...

clayman
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby clayman » 22 Apr 2013, 12:05

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
GreatEmerald wrote:
more like the majority here are too young to have seriously gamed the earlier games (although you, i and a few grognards exists), most of you seems to have entered the fray around MM6.
Well, i'm 24 and i don't think i'm very old. I played clouds/darkside when i was a little kid and i had no internet connection or guides, so it took me awhile ;| but it was n1 gamin' experience i ever had.
Maybe for a new player mm6-7 is better though, but i never played anything besides mm4-7.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 22 Apr 2013, 12:22

I would have voted for 6-9 but they are not really turn based games... more real-time/turn based... I have mostly played World of Xeen (might and magic 4 & 5) and Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven (which I have yet to beat)

Kassmia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kassmia » 24 Apr 2013, 01:32

I'm guilty of being one of those younger people who has only played MM7 so I voted for that.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 24 Apr 2013, 13:43

Seriously I can't decide. I admit that I've only played 6-8 but every title has its strenghts. MM6 has super big and beatiful levels and overall feels more "alive" and simply bigger than any MM released later on.

MM7 has a superior gameplay and the decisions you can make and your own castle give it a cool personal touch. Not forgetting the darkside of the Force >:D

What I love about MM8 are the unconenvional races, the cool end levels and the beautiful spell drawings ^^. Really love it artistically but it lacks content /:
But in terms of gameplay I had the most fun with it.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 25 Apr 2013, 16:44

GreatEmerald wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:more like the majority here are too young to have seriously gamed the earlier games (although you, i and a few grognards exists), most of you seems to have entered the fray around MM6.
Well, I entered already after MM9 was released, so...
huh? and here i thought you where one of us hard liners with your excellent videos on youtube.
clayman wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:
GreatEmerald wrote: Well, the question is "what is your favourite", and even though many people think World of XEEN is good, they still vote for MM6/7, which they view as even better :)
Well, i'm 24 and i don't think i'm very old. I played clouds/darkside when i was a little kid and i had no internet connection or guides, so it took me awhile ;| but it was n1 gamin' experience i ever had.
Maybe for a new player mm6-7 is better though, but i never played anything besides mm4-7.
well, when you are 33 years old like me you've had more chances to game the classics like a boss.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Apr 2013, 18:54

Talin_Trollbane wrote:huh? and here i thought you where one of us hard liners with your excellent videos on youtube.
Nah, I just like being thorough, and learning more about universes and game series. That includes MM1, and MM1 is the first game in the series, thus the first game I play through. Also note that I haven't ever beaten MM1, except for the run I recorded. It's a pretty good motivation to finish things!

Return to “Might and Magic”