MMExtension v2.2 + MMEditor v2.1 Level Editor [June 4, 2019]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 14 Feb 2013, 15:07

No, I don't think there is. The tables that are compiled into .bin files can be easily distributed as .bin files, but not the ones built into Exe. You can extract them from memory and copy into appropriate place in Exe, that's the only way to go without MMExt.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 19 Feb 2013, 15:47

Untested script to change stats effect breakpoints table in MM7 (for MM6 and MM8 other addresses would be needed):

Code: Select all

local vals = {
	500, 30,
	400, 25,
	350, 20,
	300, 19,
	275, 18,
	250, 17,
	225, 16,
	200, 15,
	175, 14,
	150, 13,
	125, 12,
	100, 11,
	75, 10,
	50, 9,
	40, 8,
	35, 7,
	30, 6,
	25, 5,
	21, 4,
	19, 3,
	17, 2,
	15, 1,
	13, 0,
	11, -1,
	9, -2,
	7, -3,
	5, -4,
	3, -5,
	0, -6
}

for i = 0, #vals - 2, 2 do
	mem.i2[0x4EDEA4 + i] = vals[i + 1]
	mem.i1[0x4EDEE0 + i/2] = vals[i + 2]
end
Place it into Scripts\General folder and tweak the 'vals' table as you like.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

red_elk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby red_elk » 09 Mar 2013, 09:59

Hi, GrayFace.

I really appreciate your patches for MM series, these are truly fantastic work!
I have a question about the possibility to use the HQX upscaling algorithm ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hqx ) to make an MM mod with hi-res textures.

There is a mod for UFO defence game which uses this algorithm, textures look there very good, without annoying squares. You can also see the effect of this algorithm on example of Super Mario game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohWLyR4beco

While there is no guarantee that this algorithm will produce decent results for MM-series games, still it might be worth a try, especially if embedding of hi-resolution textures is not difficult to implement in game engine, which I don't know about. Do you think it's a viable idea for MM games? Sorry if this question has already been asked.

I would be especially excited to try this feature in MM6, and I can probably offer some help with texture processing as well.

red_elk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby red_elk » 09 Mar 2013, 14:02

Here's what I got, applying hq4x to MM6 sprites (on the left side - simple resize for comparison):

default8p
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby default8p » 09 Mar 2013, 16:11

How to get player's current intellect including all bonuses from items, spells etc ?

I tried:

Party[0].GetIntellect()
but it crashes with error: not enough actual parameters

Party[0].Stats[const.Stats.Intellect].Base + Party[0].Stats[const.Stats.Intellect].Bonus doesn't crash but it does not include intellect from items or spells.

Also would it be possible to change the size of stat table? I tested your script with changing the values it works perfectly but I don't know if we can change how many values are allowed.

Also there's a mistake in MM7 solo script, it changes SP to -50 but if you check stats (Z or char screen) it crashes, changing SP to 0 will not crash if anyone had this issue.

Edit: got it to work, Party[0].GetIntellect(Party[0]) returned the correct intellect value if anyone else was wondering.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 12 Mar 2013, 06:45

default8p,

Party[0]:GetIntellect()
You can't change the number of values in that table. In MM8.5 I'm going to get rid of that table and use a function instead.
red_elk wrote:I have a question about the possibility to use the HQX upscaling algorithm ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hqx ) to make an MM mod with hi-res textures.
It's only possible with sprites, but not textures. Maybe I'll make it possible with textures eventually.

red_elk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby red_elk » 12 Mar 2013, 09:12

GrayFace wrote:It's only possible with sprites, but not textures. Maybe I'll make it possible with textures eventually.
The HQX gives best results on sprites IMO, it's not as good on textures.
May be I'll try to experiment with replacement of sprites in LODs myself, I was merely asking if this idea is easy to implement, or maybe it won't work at all.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 12 Mar 2013, 18:39

Simply replacing the sprites should do the job.

red_elk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby red_elk » 12 Mar 2013, 20:02

Straightforward way didn't work, unfortunately :(
I can replace sprites, but cannot increase their resolution without increasing size of monster, as it looks in game.
Peasants with increased resolution look like giant human-like robots :)
8-bit color limitation also hurts, but it's possible to live with.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 17 Mar 2013, 21:32

Then you need to reduce the Scale in data\Tables\SFT.txt.
After you complete the scaling and SFT.txt modification you can make it work without MMExt by distributing DataFiles\dsft.bin (MMExt generates it when you run the game after modifying SFT.txt).
red_elk wrote:8-bit color limitation also hurts, but it's possible to live with.
Why is that? Hqx doesn't create new colors, so it must work perfectly with palettes.

red_elk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby red_elk » 21 Mar 2013, 21:19

Alright, so generally idea works :)
This is what I managed to do, using MMExt and XBR4 no-blending algorithm (instead of HQX):
GrayFace wrote:Why is that? Hqx doesn't create new colors, so it must work perfectly with palettes.
HQX tool which I used, did, but anyway after a few experiments I think I found better algorithm. Anyway, sprites resized with color blending look prettier.

BlackHawk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BlackHawk » 10 Apr 2013, 09:59

The link to MM8 Extension (at https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mmextension ) is no longer active, GrayFace, can you re-upload it please?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 10 Apr 2013, 18:27

It is. Perhaps there was a break for maintenance.

BlackHawk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BlackHawk » 10 Apr 2013, 18:53

Yeah, it's up now :) Never mind then, thanks anyway :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Apr 2013, 19:36

Hm, the HQ and such scalers don't really work well with gradients. It looks like a bicubic scaler could do the job better in this case (although yea, palette problems may arise).

red_elk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby red_elk » 14 Apr 2013, 10:34

GreatEmerald wrote:Hm, the HQ and such scalers don't really work well with gradients. It looks like a bicubic scaler could do the job better in this case (although yea, palette problems may arise).
From my experience, usual algorithms just make squares a little fuzzier, it doesn't help much. But if you did your own search and found an algorithm with even better results than XBR, that would be great!
XBR worked best from all the algorithms I tried so far, and there is also a color-blending version which does better job with gradients, but game engine can't use such sprites.

broggy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby broggy » 21 May 2013, 22:10

Is there any way to change the sky texture? (like with SetTextureOutdoors?)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Version 1.5

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Jun 2013, 11:39

Version 1.5 is released.
broggy wrote:Is there any way to change the sky texture? (like with SetTextureOutdoors?)
Nope, for now.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Jun 2013, 21:33

Choose Party scripts are updated as well.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 28 Jun 2013, 19:15

A little update.

Return to “Might and Magic”