Ubisoft interview about Might and Magic X by The RPGCodex

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Ubisoft interview about Might and Magic X by The RPGCodex

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 05 Apr 2013, 20:51

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8895

thought you guys would be interested.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 05 Apr 2013, 21:09

And, before anybody panics:
More accurately, you won't explore spaceships, fight killer robots or wield blasters. (. . .) But it doesn’t mean there's no connection to the older games of the series. Actually, if you know the "ancient universe" you should keep your eyes open while exploring the world of Might & Magic X...
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 05 Apr 2013, 22:15

Ubisoft wrote: No, there will not be "always-online" copy protection! Buy, download, play, that’s it.

However, implementing Uplay is a Ubisoft corporate policy and Might & Magic X - Legacy will not be different from any other Ubisoft title. So yes, Uplay will be in and you’ll need to be online for ONE time activation.

As the game will be based on Uplay, the chances of it being available on GoG are fairly slim, as their policy is no DRM at all (if we’re wrong and GoG is happy to distribute the game, please contact us! : ) )
And here is the other item of concern. It will require an activation, but will not need to be always online.

Also skill system close to 7-8 and 1 promotion per class.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 05 Apr 2013, 22:17

Bandobras Took wrote:And, before anybody panics:
More accurately, you won't explore spaceships, fight killer robots or wield blasters. (. . .) But it doesn’t mean there's no connection to the older games of the series. Actually, if you know the "ancient universe" you should keep your eyes open while exploring the world of Might & Magic X...
I can live with that :)

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 05 Apr 2013, 22:36

The Uplay thing doesn't really bug me, but I'd like it if they put it up on Steam.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Apr 2013, 23:19

Came here to post this, guess i'm too late.

BTw, does anyone remember a film in whish they used this quote: " Well, as Ralph W. Emerson famously stated, “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds”. " and a bunch of guys kept misquoting it on blind dates? Saw it once on TV but i can't remember it's name.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 06 Apr 2013, 00:52

The only film I can think of off the top of my head is "What's Up, Doc?", but there weren't blind dates in that one.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Dharcness
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dharcness » 06 Apr 2013, 02:53

Legacy will feature 12 basic classes, 3 per race. Each of these classes will also have a promotion quest, allowing, for instance, your Freemage to become Archmage.

As mentioned before, the skill system is close to the system seen in MM6-7, with skill points and Expert-Master-Grandmaster tiers. There are more than 20 skills, and of course, for any specific skill, depending on the character’s class, he might not be able to become a master or grandmaster – or learn the skill at all.
Me thinks being able to create 4 characters only out of 12 is not enough. With 4 characters only, I think people's party will turn into a min max one = one gm to tank/melee dps , one gm to open chest, one gm to heal , one gm to cast spell damage.

Reminds me somewhat of MM7. So many classes, but if you don't min max. your party might have some problem on some areas of the game.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 06 Apr 2013, 05:45

Arret wrote: And here is the other item of concern. It will require an activation, but will not need to be always online.

They stated that in the previous Q&A.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 06 Apr 2013, 08:42

ThunderTitan wrote:Came here to post this, guess i'm too late.

BTw, does anyone remember a film in whish they used this quote: " Well, as Ralph W. Emerson famously stated, “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds”. " and a bunch of guys kept misquoting it on blind dates? Saw it once on TV but i can't remember it's name.
That's "Next Stop Wonderland" with Philip Seymour Hoffman. I remember one of the guys attributes the quote to Karl Marx :)

jorgamesh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jorgamesh » 06 Apr 2013, 10:19

Seven months in development and they stated November 2013 release date and later corrected to within a year. That does not sound long enough to make a proper RPG with such a small team. There will be some serious cutting or a delay in release.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 06 Apr 2013, 10:32

We don't know how big is the team. Maybe Marzhin can divulge this information. The development time is tied to other things as well, such as if there is an engine or if they're building it from scratch, how big will the game be (content-wise), if they're using already available artwork, models, etc, or not, and some other minor things. More or less, all of these applied to MM7, and that's why it only took a year for it to be released. MM7 shared content and artwork with previous games (mainly H3 but also MM6 as well), it had MM6's engine, etc.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 07 Apr 2013, 19:38

ThunderTitan wrote:Came here to post this, guess i'm too late.

well i am the local Codex agent so i kinda have first views of these things. ;)

also, its not official yet and i dont even know if i get invited at all, but i have been applicated to Ubisofts Might and Magic X VIP forums by Crooked Bee along with 4 others as representatives of the Codex's Might and Magic fans, so i'll have even further insights into this game, if all goes well.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 07 Apr 2013, 21:08

Talin_Trollbane wrote:also, its not official yet and i dont even know if i get invited at all, but i have been applicated to Ubisofts Might and Magic X VIP forums by Crooked Bee along with 4 others as representatives of the Codex's Might and Magic fans, so i'll have even further insights into this game, if all goes well.
Yes but if that happens you'll be under NDA :devil:

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 08 Apr 2013, 09:46

Marzhin wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:also, its not official yet and i dont even know if i get invited at all, but i have been applicated to Ubisofts Might and Magic X VIP forums by Crooked Bee along with 4 others as representatives of the Codex's Might and Magic fans, so i'll have even further insights into this game, if all goes well.
Yes but if that happens you'll be under NDA :devil:
yeah i know that. :(

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 08 Apr 2013, 11:44

In my opinion it will look as some hack&slash in slow motion (turn based) Did you see in clip what he do after leveling? click click click that good and this bit more click click, then battle: click click click done, do you known why? because after pick race you will known what profession for him is best and after pick profession you will known what skills are for him best, its dumb proof.

Modern games are simplified and target to wide range of players age (they just want to sell it for that many players as possible- even mentioned that in review)

Ok so if it is pure hack&slash why pretend to tactic, puzzle game as was WoX ? becaus its niche for this kind of games, but they will dont give it, only pretend to give you what you need. Just look what happen with X-Com :"hey we created super classic strategy game based on best strategy in history of gaming" and players wow, but what they get, ten stats for character appearance his race and voice, and what choices during play? none just run forward and kill.

classic:

dumbified:

No am not anti-fan am hardcore fan

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 08 Apr 2013, 12:00

Just look what happen with X-Com
I wouldn't say new X-COM is much more simple. First of all yes, it have less stats , and seemingly fact that each unit have D&D sort of move and standard action instead of quantified AP may seem simpler but it is not. First of all each unit in old X-COM differed only in stats. Game may be more tactical as chess and less realistic. It have more wargame sort of things like extra abilities and so, but that doesnt make game more simple. Basicaly once you fired bad recruits you could just recruit new ones untill you roll good stats and solve any problems you may ever have with that(also unless you had some really bottom psi weaklings you could just forget stats as they would improve anyway, and you could as well forget them at all). In remake, you actually have builds which defines type of strategy you use. For example taking sniper who can shoot via spotter is game changing strategy. I would even say that difference between characters due to classes and perks sepperate them much more fro meach other than original XCOM counterparts where they differ only by few % of accuracy, TU, or psi potential. All had same armor, same heavy plasma + couple guys with blaster launchers.
Also they added extra layer to strategy aspect. In original you just bought ton of scientists and forget about it, in remake you must think ahead where to get scientists and engineers, or even soldiers.
Bottom line is that they reduced some aspects but I wouldnt say that it made game simpler. After all you cant finish xcom remake in 15 minutes as is case with original.

As for MMX - I am somewhat disappointed they droped elements like training, even for reason that it is with us since mm1. For me it gives some extra immersion in game that you need to visit towns once in while.
As for game puzzles, mechanics and such, we have just wait and see.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 08 Apr 2013, 14:17

koval321 wrote: Ok so if it is pure hack&slash why pretend to tactic, puzzle game as was WoX ?
You got that from a 3-minute gameplay video?

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 09 Apr 2013, 10:27

hellegennes wrote:
koval321 wrote: Ok so if it is pure hack&slash why pretend to tactic, puzzle game as was WoX ?
You got that from a 3-minute gameplay video?
from what i saw the combat look very much like the old games, sans newer 3D graphics.

Istrebitel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Istrebitel » 09 Apr 2013, 12:47

Guys this was an alpha demo with overpowered characters. That's why it looked so hack&slash - it was made to be easy.

Return to “Might and Magic”