So ... Any Thoughts On The Big "X" On The Ubi Site

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 21 Mar 2013, 18:24

Simultaneously!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 21 Mar 2013, 18:48

i will murder them if they fuck this up.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 21 Mar 2013, 19:20

Talin_Trollbane wrote:i will murder them when they **** this up.
EFA.

Will hold out for more info before going off tap. :mad:

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 21 Mar 2013, 19:42

Ohh, I dunno; looks real-time to me. :disagree:

The first minute of the 1:27 minutes is a bunch a, I dunno what: Thought it was a "Magic the Gathering" ad??

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 21 Mar 2013, 19:55

So Sheltem finally came to destroy this crappy world?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 21 Mar 2013, 21:18

Nomad wrote:So Sheltem finally came to destroy this crappy world?
Thou madest my day, mortal.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 21 Mar 2013, 21:23

Variol wrote:Ohh, I dunno; looks real-time to me. :disagree:

The first minute of the 1:27 minutes is a bunch a, I dunno what: Thought it was a "Magic the Gathering" ad??
The website states that it will be turn-based...

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 21 Mar 2013, 23:21

And we have a winner for best comment in the thread :D.
We can only hope.
Ubisoft wrote: In the wake of the events of Might & Magic® Heroes® VI...
Going to stick with my initial reaction and say I won't expect much.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Mar 2013, 00:08

Ok... if it's turn-based, that's good. It also looks pretty good. I'm 99.999999% sure the system requirements will be too demanding though.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 22 Mar 2013, 01:23

Get familiar with its epic wilderness and meet the locals who are full of surprises…
The words "epic wilderness" sound a bit scary. Brings back memories of Morrowind where it was one of major downsides. But knowing Ubi, these words must be an overstatement as usual. :)
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 22 Mar 2013, 01:55

Actually, I've been wondering.

Are the quotes from Sheltem in the trailer only fan service, or are we going to see some connections to the old universe?

They could feasibly retcon Ashan into the old universe, as its stated that there are many many inhabitable planets.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 22 Mar 2013, 05:09

Through the Might & Magic traditional and acclaimed first-person turn-based gameplay system, lead your team of four Heroes in their journey!

Choose your gender among four different races: Humans, Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, the choice is yours! Each race also boasts three unique classes, each one having their own skills and abilities.

Defeat creatures and unique bosses, fulfill challenging quests, level up your group, and earn new powerful artifacts.

Classic RPG at its finest!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Mar 2013, 05:09

GrayFace wrote:
Get familiar with its epic wilderness and meet the locals who are full of surprises…
The words "epic wilderness" sound a bit scary.
On the other hand, I like the words "Each race also boasts three unique classes, each one having their own skills and abilities." I always wished that MM8's race/class fusion had been a little more developed.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 22 Mar 2013, 05:10

And then

The Freemage has the potential to strengthen or heal, since she is familiar with all schools of magic. Due to her physical weakness, she must be protected from harm by her companions.

The Ranger is a great damage dealer with the bow. She can also rely on the support of Earth and Air magic. Like all Elves, she prefers light armor and is pretty fragile, but she can evade attacks quite

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Mar 2013, 06:19

I really hope they will be able to fix the issue of being attacked by a dozen monsters in front of the party, at the same time. That was always a pain.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 22 Mar 2013, 06:31

Hahahahaha, nice.

I dunno, it may sound strange but I wish they stuck a little more to the MM6-8 gameplay than the 1-5 gameplay. What I mean is, judging from the trailer, it seems the whole world will be tile-based similar to the recent Legend of Grimrock. I think I would rather see a more flexible engine, capable of normal, real time movement in a dynamic world with turn-based combat (or the choice or real time or turn-based combat). I really liked that system in MM6-8, and it's one of the reasons those games are so special to me.

I dunno, I feel like I'm nitpicking. I'm already really happy with it being a party based first person RPG (I mean, seriously, who'd have thought?). It probably won't be nearly as good as MM6 or 7, but from what I'm seeing it's worth playing through it at least.

Edit: and the class/race system sounds intriguing.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 22 Mar 2013, 06:54

I think the tile based movement is probably a way for them to save a bit of money on graphics. I'd imagine this game is being developed on a budget and won't be a full priced game as a result, but you never know.

Can't wait for more information to come out on this, right now it looks really good, although a bit less hardcore, it still probably retains everything that the old RPGs did. All i want is a super hard difficulty for those who really enjoy a challenge (e.g. most of us who have played many of the M&M games)!

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 22 Mar 2013, 07:20

Game really look old school, maybe even too old school :).
Anyway that at least solves worries that game will be anothe ME/Skyrim type game. Hope they will modernize at least some part to be honest, like character portraits, thats too old school after all.
Regarding tile based comabt, first of all it is bit too early to judge based on trailer(after all there was maybe 10 seconds of actual game play footage), and at least adventuring seemed to have fluid movement. Also turn based combat like that will make game less actiony. If we reflect on mm9 then we almost never used tb mode, on mm8 we did only sometimes. If game play becomes more tactical like w8 (and suggesting by some character class description I believe there is at least some steps in that direction) I am all for it.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Mar 2013, 07:20

..and really, what's better than bows which never need arrows?? :proud:

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 22 Mar 2013, 07:43

Macros the Black wrote:I dunno, it may sound strange but I wish they stuck a little more to the MM6-8 gameplay than the 1-5 gameplay.
That gameplay is much easier (read: cheaper and faster to implement), than that of mm6-8. Fast money, low cost, low risks (jellow, 3DO).
Maybe if this little thing succeed and they will see that this kind of RPG still demanded, they will try to make something like mm6-8. Few years after, like.

Return to “Might and Magic”