So ... Any Thoughts On The Big "X" On The Ubi Site

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 19 Mar 2013, 13:28

In fact, after MMH6 I don't expect anything good from Ubisoft anymore.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 19 Mar 2013, 13:45

Lord13 wrote:The basic elements that I expect , even for Ubi, to keep:
1) Party based (at least 4 )
2) First person view (Legend of Grimrock maybe "shocked" after all the big companies with their sales and show them that first person view rpg has funs even at 2013)
3) Turn based, or a hybrid like MnM 6+the after ones
A game with #1 and #3 would make me faint for joy, as it's been a very long time since I've seen an RPG that has both.
What would make happy:
1) The return of the MnM 6-8 univerce (Erathia, Enroth etc.)
This, we're not likely to see happen, as NWC blew up that world.

And I would add to the list of basic elements I expect:
4) A mix of sci-fi and fantasy.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 20 Mar 2013, 06:42

Bandobras Took wrote:
Lord13 wrote:The basic elements that I expect , even for Ubi, to keep:
1) Party based (at least 4 )
2) First person view (Legend of Grimrock maybe "shocked" after all the big companies with their sales and show them that first person view rpg has funs even at 2013)
3) Turn based, or a hybrid like MnM 6+the after ones
A game with #1 and #3 would make me faint for joy, as it's been a very long time since I've seen an RPG that has both.
I would faint too, it would be really original for a game these days, but also very 'outdated' at the same time!

My gut feeling is they'll be going multiplatform with the new title thus we won't get a lot of what we saw in the previous MM titles, even if MM8 was meant to be released on the Playstation 2 once! Think of what Skyrim would be like if it were PC only and had the same budget, many things would have been different.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 20 Mar 2013, 09:37

I wrote in another thread that we probably have to say goodbye to the party system. But I had forgotten about Legends of Grimrock. So I'll stay hopeful.

But it won't be the same without the sci-fi elements... :(

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 20 Mar 2013, 11:20

I am not keeping my hopes up for this one. To much M&M crap from Ubisoft.

Still I really hope they deliver a great game, instead of bad mediocrity trying to suck money from people and their nostalgia.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 20 Mar 2013, 12:25

One thing is for certain, whatever happens it's almost certain that it will be better than MM9 :P. Very much looking forward to the announcement, and I really hope there's some solid information on the game!

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 20 Mar 2013, 13:03

Torur wrote:I am not keeping my hopes up for this one. To much M&M crap from Ubisoft.

Still I really hope they deliver a great game, instead of bad mediocrity trying to suck money from people and their nostalgia.
Well, Clash of Heroes was pretty good, and I've been enjoying Duel of Champions lately, so maybe there is some hope.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 20 Mar 2013, 15:27

Secret_Holder wrote:
Torur wrote:I am not keeping my hopes up for this one. To much M&M crap from Ubisoft.

Well, Clash of Heroes was pretty good, and I've been enjoying Duel of Champions lately, so maybe there is some hope.
True, CoH is a nice little game. I havent tried DoC, so can't really say about that, but they are not core M&M games. Hopefully they make some good decisions and listen to the fans this time around.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 20 Mar 2013, 17:36

Torur wrote: and listen to the fans this time around.
I'm really starting to despise this phrase whenever it crops up. Usually, when someone says, "Listen to the fans," what they really mean is, "Listen to me."
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 20 Mar 2013, 23:03

"Listening" tothe fans would only open up a whole another can of worms.

And when 3DO listened to the fans, we lost the forge...

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 20 Mar 2013, 23:09

In fairness the issue with the Forge was that M&M fans tended to play HoMM but not the other way around. That being said, the Forge would have been wonderful and Conflux wouldn't have suffered from many of the issues that it did.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 21 Mar 2013, 05:40

You mean the Forge faction of Ashan, don't you? :)

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 21 Mar 2013, 07:24

Which in my opinion is a good thing. Considering hate mail NWC got apparently I am not alone as well.
That being said, the Forge would have been wonderful
Objection, lack of foundation. Forge existed only on paper, so it may just as well turn bad.
and Conflux wouldn't have suffered from many of the issues that it did.
Yea, because it wouldn't have been made into faction. Same flaws like OP units, could just as well transfer to Forge. In fact they could of have released exactly same faction just with different sprites and names, like renaming rebirth for immortality protocol.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 21 Mar 2013, 08:46

tress wrote:Objection, lack of foundation. Forge existed only on paper, so it may just as well turn bad.
That doesn't mean it would certainly turn out bad, either. Forge was a great concept, and considering that NWC did a good job with the previous eight factions, it would be expected from them to do Forge well. Anything could have happened, but it was very likely that Forge would turn out good.
tress wrote:Yea, because it wouldn't have been made into faction.
Conflux was originally planned for the second expansion, but was made quickly and prematurely for the first due to Forge's cancellation.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 21 Mar 2013, 12:49

tress wrote:
Which in my opinion is a good thing. Considering hate mail NWC got apparently I am not alone as well.
Thus my objection to the phrase "listen to the fans." In this case, it is "listen to the fans that agree with me, and not the fans who don't."

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 21 Mar 2013, 13:11

Thus my objection to the phrase "listen to the fans." In this case, it is "listen to the fans that agree with me, and not the fans who don't."
Well and in reverse situation we would be having same conversation from Forge opponents rather than proponents. Anyway, on matter of forge, it was too controversial to be added, even if that would be "orignal". We would be having texts like that NWC gave in from MM star trek fanboys who ruined homm universe or similar texts.
Fact is that gaming company should make good game, rather than try to appease everybody and try to get some points from community by "sort of listening to fans". If we check what dev say, we can even read between lines that many features were requested by fans for mm9 thus it must be best game in series.
Frankly speaking best game that there is, came out with little input from fans, as usually best part of game is one that spawn fan base in first place. Rather than trying to catch vocal part of forums(which judging by poll consists of 25 people, me including(and this is one of, if not largest forum for MM rpg)), they should better reflect on what it was that made mm6-7 great, rather than thinking that adding this and that would appease someone.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 21 Mar 2013, 14:27

To be fair, the original HoMM universe was not an independent entity. From the release of Mandate of Heaven MM and HoMM were heavily intertwined, and the sci fi element has been part of MM from the beginning.

But this really is off topic

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 21 Mar 2013, 15:07

Listening to the fans IMO dosent mean listening to me. I have my preferences, but I do not think that all the ideas I have or might have should be implemented. What I mean is that there is a general fanbase oppinion of certain aspects of the game that I think they should respect.
For example, should the game be party based or not, what is the common oppinion of the fans. If yes, try and implement that gameplay from the beginning, be vocal about it. If not, have a valid argument, let people know and then fair play to them even if I disagree.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 21 Mar 2013, 18:22

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 21 Mar 2013, 18:22

Well, after seeing the trailer I'm warily optimistic

Return to “Might and Magic”