H5 - A map I want to make

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Shawn André
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H5 - A map I want to make

Unread postby Shawn André » 28 Mar 2011, 00:24

the story goes on like this:

the elves on a border with heresh hit hard on a city under lady ornella's control. to get help, she sends word of this to her sister aurelia back in the bull duchy, and they ally against the elves. to make things harder an ambitious demon lord has taken advantage of the lack of faith and light in the bull duchy to raise a volcano and sends troops every so often hit on the haven faction. back in heresh, demon driven dark elves make the ground crumble right under the necromancer lands and attack regularly above.

now my idea SEEMS pretty good, but i have a few problems. first, i WILL need help with both triggers and AI corrections, and also i tend to try to make my maps a tad too... epic, and then they fail. first is the scale, which is 'huge' i think, and the fact that theres about oh... 16 castles on the field right now.

other things i would like would be to make new portraits for my heroes and the like.

I will appreciate any and all help or advice given, and i would like to know how to post my minimap... ;|

Post it here like that, use Edit button on the post, to see the code. And you need to click the 'img' twice. :)

~Mod note by Pol

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Mar 2011, 05:29

It would help if you listed the name of the game!

Shawn André
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shawn André » 28 Mar 2011, 17:32

I've settled for 'Border Unrest'. The haven and Necro factions play as team, since the game is intended as a 2 player scenario. the inferno and dark elves play in team to harass their respective players, and two elven factions are the main enemies, playing as allied.

The necromancer lands and the empire each hold 3 castles for now, both dark elves and inferno should have 2, and the elves have 3 each, plus another serving as the 'final battle' for each. Add that up, you get 18 castles... it still seems like too much.

[img]ScrnShot_280311_131957.tga[/img]

nope... i don't get it. that was supposed to be a screenshot, but for the minimap, i dont even know where to get it as an image... I'm not bad ad mapmaking the terrain but i think you can see why i need help with all the complicated looking stuff... ;|

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Mar 2011, 17:52

...I'll just assume you're talking about H5.

Shawn André
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shawn André » 28 Mar 2011, 22:36

...yeah sorry i hadn't specified. silly of me really. sorry. although i have to say it would be obvious to anyone who played heroes 5 the campaigns, so i thought it'd be clear...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Mar 2011, 23:39

Fixed the title to include H5 specification.

As for posting pictures, have a look at these instructions. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Shawn André
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shawn André » 29 Mar 2011, 00:25

Gosh how could i screw this up... while trying to send the images before, i tried opening them with paint, so now all my screenshot files are read by paint, and are invalid altogether. I cant upload them. DAMN this is sad... I cant send images till i work that out, and i'm just afraid ill mess it up even more... geez so much for a possibly epic map... i could always offer the whole map up to anyone who wants to see, but ill need some other form of approach. email might work i think... damn i fail sometimes...

oh and thanks for updating the title by the way, and thanks for the 'Upload Tutorial' also.

Shawn André
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shawn André » 07 Apr 2011, 17:49

All right, new problem folks, maybe you can help me out...

I'm trying to make my map a 2 human vs 4 comp scenario, but no matter what i do, the map editor bugs the teams section so that everyone's in the same team, and then I can't start the map at all. Or, I put it on free for all and the game works, but I lose my team, obviously.

Besides that, i've seen some of the high rated maps on download around the net, and they offend my sense of aesthetics, even if the gameplay is awesome. I refuse to make my maps look any less good than the campaign games. My problems are balance and triggers, which are why i asked help in the first place.
They say sex is a trap. People cause stress and sex releases stress, but sex causes people. Just one big trap, they say.

jhonsmith
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jhonsmith » 04 Jan 2013, 11:13

The necromancer lands and the empire each hold 3 castles for now, both dark elves and inferno should have 2, and the elves have 3 each, plus another serving as the 'final battle' for each. Add that up, you get 18 castles... it still seems like too much, so i thought it'd be clear...!!!

:-D
Download 350-018 questions and answers with self paced 400-051 braindumps practice test to successfully complete 642-998 braindumps certification.

Tyber Zann
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Tyber Zann » 13 Sep 2013, 19:37

This map sounds dope. In the good way. I'm making a H5 map, called Borderland (sounds similar to urs), its more multiplayer tournament style, but similar epic huge idea with 8 towns. Balance is tough.

I had the same problem with teams. Basically, i made no teams. Save, quit, test, and its suddenly a 8v1v1v1 ?!?! Wtf right?. So I go back to the editor, and sure enough its set to some odd team scheme, so I uncheck teams again, save, quit, play, and then it works. Basically, i gotta re load, uncheck teams and save after each alteration. Iv also considered simply giving each player their own team. But the above trick seems to work.

As for balance, just try to keep mines and dwellings fairly even. Doesn't have to be exact, just within 1-2 difference.

For example, on my map, each base has 1 military post, and 2 of each dwelling for tier 1,2 and 3. Then, I added an extra dwelling of differing low tier to each base. Necros got an extra graveyard, orcs got an extra warrior hut, elves got an extra hunter lodge. Maybe ur thinkin, no fair, hunters slay skeletons. Well would u prefer more ghosts in stead? Lol. It balances out in other ways. The necro artifact set is one of the best, and they have the a few extra magic shrines that basically give them almost all the dark magic spells. I'll have to test it to find balance, but that's the fun part.

When I made my heroes 3 celebrity deathmatch map, (customized heroes with actors names and portraits) I used this method to test. Pick one base, wall urself in with a border guard in the editor (this is temporary) then simply sit back and let the computers kill each other. Do that 3-4 times, and if the same player is winning every time, they're too powerful. Nerf them a little, then see if they win again. after a couple nerfs, I had it even enough that different player where winning different times, and of coarse, switch players and test the first player u where idle as. This trick works for.most strategy games.

Hope iv helped. Lemme know when ur finished, I'd like to see this map.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”