X-COM, the remake

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

X-COM, the remake

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2012, 00:49

I was hooked on UFO and TFTD way back when, so I am totally buying this new thing if fans say it plays well... How about you? :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 15 Oct 2012, 07:29

From what I read it is indeed good game but too short and not worth it current price. Price is too high, AI is sometimes not so good and there is lack of random maps generator for missions (all maps are pre-build segments).
But yes, it is X-COM game not only by title by also by gameplay.

durin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby durin » 15 Oct 2012, 10:43

I downloaded the demo from Steam and found the gameplay in the tactical missions reminded me of the originals. However I don't think it will have the long term depth for the reason that Avonu outlined.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 15 Oct 2012, 13:26

Night from Saturday to Sunday was completely lost :tired:
A lot of fun, just like good old days. But they say it's a bit short.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 07 Nov 2012, 21:05

I just discovered that the new game doesn't run on WinXP (or is that the Steam version only?) - and I still have that OS on my old gaming PC ... maybe I should think about upgrading ...?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 07 Nov 2012, 21:45

XP was good, very good, but it's getting old. Upgrading to 8 is only $39 over here. Windows 7 would be a safer option, but I'm not sure how much it's worth these days.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 10 Nov 2012, 11:48

I read review in game magazine that first old Enemy Unknown is still best (have more options etc) But IMO its difficulty to compare old and new like Syndicate, Hired Guns, XCOM etc because its mostly different game just inspired by old.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 13 Nov 2012, 15:47

I like it. If you think it's too short, play classic + ironman without cheating, and either loose or restart alot. Pretty hard... once a mission starts going downhill, it tends to snowball quickly into a wipe, and you have to micromanage resources diligently.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Dec 2012, 03:22

Been playing it most of the day ... and night ... it's sleep deprivingly addictive ...

Oh, come on, just one more mission ...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 31 Dec 2012, 16:32

When you finish I'd like your take on game length vs the older games. I've heard it is a bit too short for the cost.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Jan 2013, 16:17

Just finished it and found the ending a bit ... anticlimactic. Some of the other missions were tougher than the last one and the ending video also left me with a bit of a "well, what's going to happen now, then?" feeling. It didn't really round everything up. I smell another game coming ...

The game length is good - I've played many hours for days now. You can also make it longer by increasing the difficulty or playing multiplayer (haven't done that yet, so I don't know). Another thing: the final mission is triggered by you when you feel ready for it. I picked up on the fact that it's the research that triggers development in the game, so if you want it to last longer, you can also delay research.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Jan 2013, 13:40

This game won the Gametrailers GOTY! Never seen that comming.
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Jan 2013, 21:27

Who wants to try out MP with me? :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 04 Jan 2013, 15:53

If you sponsor me the game on pc, sure :D!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Jan 2013, 01:24

I have to concede that the "campaign" of the game is a bit short. There should be more missions, a slower tech development (since that's what drives the story forwards) and generally last a bit longer in single player. At "normal" difficulty, I am playing through it in a few days. On the other hand, that makes it a good weekend game.

Still not tried multiplayer, so report is to follow.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 14 Jan 2013, 22:43

Kalah wrote:I have to concede that the "campaign" of the game is a bit short. There should be more missions, a slower tech development (since that's what drives the story forwards) and generally last a bit longer in single player. At "normal" difficulty, I am playing through it in a few days. On the other hand, that makes it a good weekend game.

Still not tried multiplayer, so report is to follow.
You should definitely try Classic+Ironman of Impossible+Ironman. Game changes dramatically.

There is a channel with Ironman+Impossible walk through on youtube - I find it very amusing. Beaglerush.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Feb 2013, 21:56

They've done something to make the game last longer. You know the devs realized that it didn't last long enough when the created a separate "marathon mode", with the description that "the game takes longer to complete". I think it works, though.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Feb 2013, 18:09

Anybody try those DLCs? Is the extra material worth it?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 24 Feb 2013, 13:39

Kalah wrote:They've done something to make the game last longer. You know the devs realized that it didn't last long enough when the created a separate "marathon mode", with the description that "the game takes longer to complete". I think it works, though.
Didn't try it, but forums talks I read say it's a little too much. Several weeks for healing, several times longer to win the game.
Kalah wrote:Anybody try those DLCs? Is the extra material worth it?
I've got it. Barely have time to finish already started Classic+Impossible. New missions content requires fresh start. New soldier customizations are available for old saves. I like them.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Feb 2013, 15:20

I've played for a while on marathon mode now, and while it does last a bit longer, I also had to extend the experience by delaying (selectively) the research so the game didn't progress too quickly. Right now I am ready to start the final mission. But I don't want to. I want to play more. But the missions are too few and far between. Only 3-4 per month ... :sad:

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”