Disney buys Lucas Films

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules

Star Wars as Disney Property

Finally a chance at a good sequel
86%
OMG The Force fights the Green Goblin
14%
I don't care I'm done with Star Wars
No votes

Total votes: 7

jeff

Disney buys Lucas Films

Unread postby jeff » 31 Oct 2012, 20:31

And has announced Star Wars 7 is in preproduction with a 2015 projected release date. With Lucas acting only as a consultant; what do you think will it be better that SW 1-3 or even SW 4-6?
Last edited by Anonymous on 31 Oct 2012, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 31 Oct 2012, 20:56

Well, I have read some of the stuff so I have an idea about the stuff that's supposed to happen after the end of the original movies which, according to Lucas' original plan, were supposed to be followed by another trilogy.

I am now sort of split 50/50 between "Yeah, this is great! New movies!" and "Ooooh nooo! They're gonna mess it up completely and ruin the previous films in the process!"

My real big worry is ... Disney. My fear is that, like Lucas in the remastered versions, they will make them too clean and too suitable for kids, getting rid of much of the darker side of the originals. In the first film, Han Solo was a pirate who shot first if he needed to in order to survive and escape. In the remastered version, Lucas changed these aspects to make him a flawless knight in shining armour - essentially drawing a clearer line between good and evil. He completely forgot the now famous line by Sir Alec - that the truth depends upon your point of view.

I think Disney will make these films too easy to swallow as well. None of the heroes will die, have flaws or turn to evil; the bad guys will have no redeeming features.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 Oct 2012, 21:42

Well any new ones can't be WORSE than the last three, so I'm for it.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 31 Oct 2012, 22:11

Kalah wrote:
My real big worry is ... Disney. My fear is that, like Lucas in the remastered versions, they will make them too clean and too suitable for kids, getting rid of much of the darker side of the originals. In the first film, Han Solo was a pirate who shot first if he needed to in order to survive and escape. In the remastered version, Lucas changed these aspects to make him a flawless knight in shining armour - essentially drawing a clearer line between good and evil. He completely forgot the now famous line by Sir Alec - that the truth depends upon your point of view.

I think Disney will make these films too easy to swallow as well. None of the heroes will die, have flaws or turn to evil; the bad guys will have no redeeming features.
Perhaps, we will get an idea as more Disney produced Marvel films hit the market. Avengers was the first but I haven't seen it yet. I think for the most part as long as they make money Disney will leave that part alone.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 31 Oct 2012, 22:59

We will see what's going to happen. Hopefully George has some good ideas, not another Jar Jar...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 01 Nov 2012, 14:24

Kalah wrote:they will make them too clean and too suitable for kids, getting rid of much of the darker side of the originals
They started that back in RoTJ already, with the Ewoks, the songs and that whole "let's all have a good laugh at the fact that you kissed your sister you perv" thing.

Seriously, at this point I'll just let Disney make a fun movie and I'll try not to have expectations. I went postal after watching The Phantom Menace in theater, but I won't do that again. :)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 01 Nov 2012, 15:26

Something from year 2000:

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 01 Nov 2012, 23:55

I strongly doubt Disney will be releasing it under the Disney name. More likely Touchstone- or they may leave the Lucasfilm studios intact, and release it through there. As such, I don't think it will be made "softer" by DISNEY. Now depending on Lucas' current "vision"...
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 02 Nov 2012, 13:38

I'm hoping they do the Thrawn trilogy for the next 3 movies. Those were some of the best books in the EU.

Oh, and Disney, if you're listening, could you pleeeeeeease license somebody to make TIE Fighter 2? Thanks.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 02 Nov 2012, 16:42

They said they'd bring brand new stories, so Thrawn is out. Seeing new actors for Luke, Leia and Han in their 30s would have been strange anyway. I'd rather see those actors play older versions of the same characters.

I second that request for a new Star Wars space-sim game.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Nov 2012, 16:46

Kristo wrote:I'm hoping they do the Thrawn trilogy for the next 3 movies. Those were some of the best books in the EU.
And as i recall also the books that jump started the EU...

jeff wrote:what do you think will it be better that SW 1-3
Can't be worse...

If they treat them like they did the Marvel films then they might actually even be good instead of just better then 1-3...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Greengnots
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Greengnots » 11 Nov 2012, 01:20

I hope Disney does a good job at making new movies about star wars that are good.
Quantam physics don't change everything.

Return to “Campfire”