Nostalgia - Quote from Jon Van Caneghem....

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Queen Hera
Pixie
Pixie

Nostalgia - Quote from Jon Van Caneghem....

Unread postby Queen Hera » 15 Sep 2012, 05:08

The Heroes III game has 65,000 colours and fills an entire CD. I had over 30 people work on the project: programmers, artists, voice actors, and level designers, and it took us 18 months to finish".

Excerpt from Heroes III Restoration of Erathia Manual..

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Sep 2012, 10:35

Oh yeah - a whole CD ... :-D

Reminds me of Baldur's Gate ... that came on a bunch of CDs!

I can clearly remember that it drove me nuts switching discs all the time ... and that I was really thrilled when the DVD-ROM replaced it. :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 15 Sep 2012, 10:56

Back then everything was way different.
KB was made by handful of people. mm1 was made solely by JVC.
Nowdays you need much more people as people are used to good stuff. You cant give 15 man game and hope it sells unless it's something catchy like angry birds.
I can clearly remember that it drove me nuts switching discs all the time ... and that I was really thrilled when the DVD-ROM replaced it.
Not only that but back then 1 of 5 disks almost certainly will get scratched or be poorly red in 1st place. Even if my BG copy wasn't entirely legal(in fact there was no way of getting legal even if I wanted to), replacing it was hell as cd burning devices cost fortune, and torrents to make backup copy(in fact internet was not as available even if there was place to get it from) wasn't exactly popular back then. Daemon tool weren't popular either.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 15 Sep 2012, 16:08

Kalah wrote:Oh yeah - a whole CD ... :-D

Reminds me of Baldur's Gate ... that came on a bunch of CDs!
Phantasmagoria anyone?

BTW - HoMM1 was (well, these "unofficial versions") on 4 to 8 disks if anyone still remember them. ;)
Queen Hera wrote:Excerpt from Heroes III Restoration of Erathia Manual..
Meanwhile with Ubisoft and other companies on charge we currently have no manuals at all.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 15 Sep 2012, 17:17

Meanwhile with Ubisoft and other companies on charge we currently have no manuals at all.
Its not like ones that 3DO gave away was of any help. They basically gave same info as tutorial(there was completely zero in depth information aside from short back story, which should be pinned ingame to behin with.)
Also I think Ubi gives some pdf's away with their games, not that they are too useful

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 15 Sep 2012, 19:02

But compare HoMM3 or HoMM4 official manual to HV or HVI "manual" (several pages in pdf file hard to name manual at all) - even if H3 manual lacks many things, it still has a lot of information and also heroes, units, skills and spells tables.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Sep 2012, 22:18

tress wrote:Its not like ones that 3DO gave away was of any help. They basically gave same info as tutorial(there was completely zero in depth information aside from short back story, which should be pinned ingame to behin with.)
Perhaps not as much for gameplay, but when doing a map I am constantly referring to them for statistics and other items.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Aelanor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aelanor » 17 Sep 2012, 21:42

I remember playing MM1 (maybe a later one) and calling for support once when I was in a dungeon.

The guy who answered was great, he asked me which dungeon I was in, and then told me I could either apply a patch, or to leave as is so I could take advantage of an easter egg. He then told me to map out the whole room, because the pillars spelled JVC.

Then he told me he WAS Jon, and we chatted for a while. What a super nice guy!

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 18 Sep 2012, 09:36

He he he... by that time, that 65 K colors was the real sell for everyone.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 31 Oct 2012, 22:57

Aelanor wrote:I remember playing MM1 (maybe a later one) and calling for support once when I was in a dungeon.

The guy who answered was great, he asked me which dungeon I was in, and then told me I could either apply a patch, or to leave as is so I could take advantage of an easter egg. He then told me to map out the whole room, because the pillars spelled JVC.

Then he told me he WAS Jon, and we chatted for a while. What a super nice guy!
Wow that is an awesome story!
If its even actually true.

I think that back when JVC was involved with making the games there was a lot more passion and love for the what they were doing. Thats why they turned out so great.
Now sadly in today's day its basically all about just getting a product out there to sell.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 31 Oct 2012, 23:02

I actually reínstalled HoMM3 last week. It's just one cd (in my case, the complete edition from the huge Ubiset, next to the original of course), but it's one cd of greatness!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 01 Nov 2012, 14:31

Kalah wrote:I can clearly remember that it drove me nuts switching discs all the time ... and that I was really thrilled when the DVD-ROM replaced it. :D
And next week Halo 4 will ship on two discs. Here we go again.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 01 Nov 2012, 23:57

Angelspit wrote:
Kalah wrote:I can clearly remember that it drove me nuts switching discs all the time ... and that I was really thrilled when the DVD-ROM replaced it. :D
And next week Halo 4 will ship on two discs. Here we go again.
Unless Bluray becomes standard in games, you're right. If it does, then we have a few more years of single-disc titles (My computer has a Bluray drive, so I'm ready for it)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Return to “Heroes I-IV”