Do You Steam?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
berntie
Scout
Scout

Re: Do You Steam?

Unread postby berntie » 29 Jul 2012, 13:47

Kalah wrote:So how about you - do you Steam at all?
I've never used Steam and I never will.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 29 Jul 2012, 22:24

jeff wrote: GOG is the way to go, but I heard they may be going away.
That's bull.

On topic: I use Steam, but after their Euro scam I purchase very rarely from them. Even their 75% discounts mean nothing for me, unless I really want that game.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 29 Jul 2012, 22:46

klaymen wrote:That's bull.
Which part are you referring to, and it was on topic. :|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 30 Jul 2012, 03:34

Look at the bold part of the quote. :)
-Ahzek Ahriman

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 30 Jul 2012, 08:03

Are you talking about their shifting focus?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 30 Jul 2012, 11:51

Kalah wrote:Are you talking about their shifting focus?
If he was talking about this, then he is quite a bit late, because that change has happened a few months ago. That's why I did not take it into consideration.
-Ahzek Ahriman

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 30 Jul 2012, 15:34

klaymen wrote:Look at the bold part of the quote. :)
No, the bolded part referred to the fact I thought I read GOG may be going out of business in another thread. Since I can't find it then I will assume my memory there was faulty. It was not off topic as the whole post dealt with Steam and why or why not. :disagree:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Jul 2012, 20:01

jeff wrote:> It was not off topic as the whole post dealt with Steam and why or why not. :disagree:
By "On topic:" he meant that the part of his post below was on topic (as opposed to the other part concerning bulls).

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 30 Jul 2012, 20:27

GreatEmerald wrote:
jeff wrote:> It was not off topic as the whole post dealt with Steam and why or why not. :disagree:
By "On topic:" he meant that the part of his post below was on topic (as opposed to the other part concerning bulls).
Oh, so this has been a complete misunderstanding on my part. Well my bad and my apologies Klayman. :S

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 30 Jul 2012, 22:37

No problem :)
-Ahzek Ahriman

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Aug 2012, 08:34

http://www.gamefront.com/steams-new-eul ... -lawsuits/

Just to remind you - EULA is "ink on a page" and game companies can put there anything, but it's local law which decides, what player can and what can't do against game publishers and their products.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 02 Aug 2012, 09:50

As we have seen here. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Do You Steam?

Unread postby hellegennes » 03 Aug 2012, 04:04

Actually, EULA is a contract and if it contains nothing that contradicts local laws, then it's valid. So, if there isn't anything illegal, according to local law, everything the EULA says is valid.

Don't forget that only a constitution contains passages that specifically lay down your rights. All other laws are made to clarify actions that are forbidden and the exceptions to those. And it's logical too. If something is not forbidden by law, then you are free to do it. Unless of course, you have signed a contract that forbids you to do it. And remember, EULA is a contract.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Do You Steam?

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Aug 2012, 09:55

But that's exactly the point here - the EULA is rendered invalid because of "local" (EU" law.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Do You Steam?

Unread postby hellegennes » 03 Aug 2012, 12:59

In this instance yes, but it's not true that generally EULAs don't matter. It's like every other contract: if it doesn't contradict any law, it's 100% binding. That's not something new. There is no legal contract that can ask you to break the law or forfeit your constitutional rights.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Do You Steam?

Unread postby Kalah » 03 Aug 2012, 13:08

Yes, but again, that's the point. There is no law that says you can re-sell downloaded products. That's why Oracle sued. They lost because the law doesn't need to specify; downloaded products are products like any other.

EULAs frequently ask users for things that are more stringent than Law. In this case, the EU said (for the first time in a court) that this is illegal. Obvious though it may seem, there are legal minutias that affect the outcome of a court case.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Do You Steam?

Unread postby klaymen » 03 Aug 2012, 16:46

Kalah wrote:Yes, but again, that's the point. There is no law that says you can re-sell downloaded products.
Well, not a law, but....
Kalah wrote:EULAs frequently ask users for things that are more stringent than Law. In this case, the EU said (for the first time in a court) that this is illegal. Obvious though it may seem, there are legal minutias that affect the outcome of a court case.
Not to mention that in some cases you cannot see the EULA contents before purchase (mainly retail distribution) and then it is practically rendered void.
-Ahzek Ahriman

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 06 Aug 2012, 08:45

I have never heard of Steam. Do you have to go to some website to see these specials? And, DRM is where you have to have an internet connection right?

Return to “News”