Heroes 3: Need help with the Map Editor!

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jochon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes 3: Need help with the Map Editor!

Unread postby Jochon » 28 Jul 2012, 10:57

I've tried pretty much every option I could find and I've spent 40 minutes looking for answers via google, but eventually I had to give up and make a profile on this site as my last hope.

When you've made a map, how do you make it appear in the list of available scenarios?

I would like to test my map, and also play it, naturally.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 28 Jul 2012, 11:26

That's odd, it should appear in the custom-scenerio selection by default.

Make sure the map's size has been enabled for the list.

With "H3 Complete" map names are separated by "vanilla & 2 expansions" (3 icons) The last segment is SoD.

Last, if when making the map; you saved to another folder outside the game, you will need copy the map to "Maps".

Jochon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jochon » 28 Jul 2012, 12:01

markkur wrote:That's odd, it should appear in the custom-scenerio selection by default.

Make sure the map's size has been enabled for the list.

With "H3 Complete" map names are separated by "vanilla & 2 expansions" (3 icons) The last segment is SoD.

Last, if when making the map; you saved to another folder outside the game, you will need copy the map to "Maps".
I'm not 100% sure on what to do, so in the fear of doing anything terribly wrong I'm gonna post some screenshots in this comment if possible. If not I'll just use imageshack and post links.

Here's the picture, I'm sorry it's so small. It should give you the gist of it.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/sc ... es=landing

Jochon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jochon » 28 Jul 2012, 12:27

It's there when I try to Save it or Open it in the Map Editor, but when I go to the files outside of the ME it doesn't exist.

What the Hell is going on?? :S

EDIT: I made some minor changes to a map that already exists (changed one dirt spot into a snow spot) and saved it, exited the ME and entered the game. When I checked it, the snow wasn't there, but when I opened it in the editor it was there.

It's as if my ME doesn't work with the game. I can open maps from the game, but I can't do add or change maps to the actual folder. What can I do??

Ontourn&Cyberpunk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ontourn&Cyberpunk » 28 Jul 2012, 12:49

in the h5 editor is it possible that you store several times a custom map under the same mapname.
list example
Vampire lover
sea of dreams
my map1 +newer date with snow+
my map1 +older date without snow+

The ME saves the map name in maps folder not the save file name.
Edit:u can see the save file name in yor map folder but ingame directory, is the mapname.
If you leave the natural place, they can run wild of their wasteful diversity.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Jul 2012, 13:04

He's not talking about H5, but H3. Read the topic title.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Jochon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jochon » 28 Jul 2012, 14:19

Really? There aren't anyone here who knows how to deal with this problem? :/

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 28 Jul 2012, 14:44

With Win XP you can save and is done. With Win 7 or other, it seems the map is saved in different location, so do a search in your computer for:

mymapname.h3m

once found, move it to maps.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 28 Jul 2012, 15:55

Hello there Jochon. It seems that you're running Heroes III and its map editor in Win 7. Please make sure that you save and/or copy your map(s) to other place than just the standard ...H3/Maps. When I start a new H3 map under Win 7, I always make sure that I copy the map I'm in the process of making into places other than just the aforementioned H3/Maps folder. You can create a specific folder elsewhere where you keep, update and store your unfinished maps. That way you don't have to worry about losing them or being unable to relocate them after closing the H3 map editor.

Hope this helps. :)

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Jul 2012, 17:59

Also make sure to give the map a proper name in map options, or else it will be called "Untitled" or so.

But really, in Win7 it saves things in a different location? No wonder people keep disabling UAC, then. It's not security, it's ridiculousness...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 28 Jul 2012, 18:01

This is a glitchy thing with Windows 7.

Thankfully I already found a solution.

viewtopic.php?t=12241&highlight=compatibility+files
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 28 Jul 2012, 18:29

Topics merged!

As you, see the solution was already found, check the post from Corribus above.

Simply install/move to any other folder than into the "Program Files" and everything will be fine.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes I-IV”