Do You Steam?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Do You Steam?

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Jul 2012, 13:54

This <a href="/http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1745 ... masutra</a> article outlines the effect of Steam sales. You'd think that giving big discounts on games would cause losses to the developers, but the thing is that developers are actually making quite a big chunk of money on them.

<i>"We find that we get several thousand percent increases in units and revenue on the days of the Steam sales, and unit sales are usually about double the normal for a few weeks after the sales are over,</i>" Runic Games CEO Max Schaefer says."

So how about you - do you Steam at all?

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1343224457
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Do You Steam?

Unread postby Torur » 25 Jul 2012, 14:17

Steam is great. I buy most of my games through steam now-a-days...
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
"George S. Patton, Jr."

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Jul 2012, 14:34

No. I refuse to use anything that has restrictive DRM, and Steam sure has it. Plus, I disagree with its subscriber agreement, so I won't even install it.

GOG is the way to go.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Jul 2012, 14:45

I never have and am not familiar with it. I heard you had to have some of their software to run the game so never bothered. GOG is the way to go, but I heard they may be going away.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Do You Steam?

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 Jul 2012, 14:46

Wow, how smart these marketing people are! They amaze me! They figure out that discounts actually bring in more money, about 4 decades after customers knew. They are so smart!

YoshMaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Do You Steam?

Unread postby YoshMaster » 25 Jul 2012, 17:07

I bought for over 230$ of games during the sale.... ouch!! Haha I may have gone overboard a little !!

Datau
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Datau » 25 Jul 2012, 17:34

Meh. I like Steam; it updates your games with the latest patches and you don't have to search and download them manually.

On the other hand, users should be aware of one HUGE inconvenient: you don't have a boxed version of your game.
A game like Shogun TW 2 takes about 20 GB on the HD to be installed. you have to download it to install. At 700KB/sec.It.Takes.EIGHT.Hours!

If that makes sense, I like boxed versions of games available on Steam. :D

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Do You Steam?

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 25 Jul 2012, 23:51

For those of you who haven't tried Steam or don't know what it is, its basically like UPlay or Origin, but better. It combines a digital store and game cloud with social features that allow you to connect with other Steam users.

@Datau

You should at least mention the positives, to be fair. Steam actually has good download speeds, especially for games made by smaller companies where you would otherwise need to download it from their website at much lower bandwidth.
Edited on Wed, Jul 25 2012, 19:54 by CloudRiderX
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Do You Steam?

Unread postby Coldy » 25 Jul 2012, 23:56

Yea I bought quite a few games on Steam during the sale. Bloody amazing prices as well :)

I know it's a sort of DRM but at least it works fine most of the time. I do not have any major complains about steam.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Do You Steam?

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Jul 2012, 06:54

CloudRiderX wrote:>For those of you who haven't tried Steam or don't know what it is, its basically like UPlay or Origin, but better. It combines a digital store and game cloud with social features that allow you to connect with other Steam users.
In other words, DRM + store + XFire.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Do You Steam?

Unread postby Torur » 26 Jul 2012, 07:30

And not to forget, that you can run steam in offline mode and still play your games. I do not understand ppl complaining about Steam, all in all it makes finding, buying and playing games easier.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
"George S. Patton, Jr."

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 26 Jul 2012, 07:52

Sure you can't play bought game multilayer with one copy even in LAN, but you can play game offline even on several pc at once, so it is not that bad. I am way more pissed at steam for completely retarded regional restrictions.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jul 2012, 19:32

hellegennes wrote:>>Wow, how smart these marketing people are! They amaze me! They figure out that discounts actually bring in more money, about 4 decades after customers knew. They are so smart!<<
4 decades... try more like 4 millennia of humans trading stuff... cheaper product = more units sold it's 11th grade economics.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Do You Steam?

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 27 Jul 2012, 01:13

@GreatEmerald

It's a very loose adherence to the definition of DRM. All of your Steam games are installed on your computer like any other game, allowing you to play them by their own connection rules.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Jul 2012, 02:26

Torur wrote:And not to forget, that you can run steam in offline mode and still play your games. I do not understand ppl complaining about Steam, all in all it makes finding, buying and playing games easier.
And cheaper, we could keep ourselves busy for years with only $50 worth of games on sales (some of which are still very recent).
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Jul 2012, 06:38

CloudRiderX wrote:>It's a very loose adherence to the definition of DRM. All of your Steam games are installed on your computer like any other game, allowing you to play them by their own connection rules.
No, they're not. All the games are put into some crazy "steamapps" folder that is in a really long path, which interferes with certain games, such as Unreal. A path with spaces and/or a path with more than 60 characters is death for anything Unreal Engine 1 Editor-based. You can't even select another drive to put your games on! What fun when you have a small SSD as the C disk!

And while you can put it in offline mode, it doesn't help with the responsiveness and portability. You still need to have Steam loaded on the system - which takes a rather large amount of resources, no less, and each time you launch a game or any part of it, Steam has to pop up and do its checking, even if it's local, which delays the start up time. Even if what you're launching is the map editor! That's just crazy! As a mod developer, I don't find these delays at all a viable thing to have, as any delay means increased debugging time.

Plus, there's all those clauses in Steam's subscriber agreement where they reserve the right to install malware on your PC (and you don't know whether they do or not, as Steam isn't open-source), or ban you for things that are not related to Steam at all.

And finally, they break the Gamers' Bill of Rights clauses 4, 8, 10, and possibly 1. Not to mention what happens to all your games when they go out of business...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 27 Jul 2012, 07:03

Angelspit wrote:
Torur wrote:And not to forget, that you can run steam in offline mode and still play your games. I do not understand ppl complaining about Steam, all in all it makes finding, buying and playing games easier.
And cheaper, we could keep ourselves busy for years with only $50 worth of games on sales (some of which are still very recent).
Yes, of course especially with all this 1$=1€ policy. :P
GreatEmerald wrote:No, they're not. All the games are put into some crazy "steamapps" folder that is in a really long path
I for example like to put game in my own folder, so this is another annoying thing of Steam.
GreatEmerald wrote:You still need to have Steam loaded on the system - which takes a rather large amount of resources, no less, and each time you launch a game or any part of it, Steam has to pop up and do its checking, even if it's local, which delays the start up time. Even if what you're launching is the map editor! That's just crazy!
And we have the same issue with HVI and Ubisoft's YPlay. :P
GreatEmerald wrote:And finally, they break the Gamers' Bill of Rights clauses 4, 8, 10, and possibly 1. Not to mention what happens to all your games when they go out of business...
Until they fallow 3DO steps (too much money and resources spend on too many projects), I don't think they will be out of business anytime soon. As you can unfortunately see, many game companies want to have their own Steam-like platform (Origin, YPlay, etc.)

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Do You Steam?

Unread postby Torur » 27 Jul 2012, 08:03

@GreatEmerald

"And while you can put it in offline mode, it doesn't help with the responsiveness and portability. You still need to have Steam loaded on the system - which takes a rather large amount of resources, no less, and each time you launch a game or any part of it, Steam has to pop up and do its checking, even if it's local, which delays the start up time. Even if what you're launching is the map editor! That's just crazy! As a mod developer, I don't find these delays at all a viable thing to have, as any delay means increased debugging time."

That's just nitpicking. Steam provides a great service with a few drawbacks. And waiting for the steam popup to finish is a minor inconvinience, besides what are the alternatives these days?
"George S. Patton, Jr."

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Jul 2012, 18:08

Torur wrote:>That's just nitpicking. Steam provides a great service with a few drawbacks. And waiting for the steam popup to finish is a minor inconvinience, besides what are the alternatives these days?
How about, you know, CD keys? GOG is doing just fine with only that kind of DRM for all of their games. Stardock is doing just well with the same thing, too. And if you're asking for a service alternative, I've been using XFire for a long time without any issues, and it covers most of what Steam has to offer without any inconveniences.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Jul 2012, 18:10

Avonu wrote:> Until they fallow 3DO steps (too much money and resources spend on too many projects), I don't think they will be out of business anytime soon. As you can unfortunately see, many game companies want to have their own Steam-like platform (Origin, YPlay, etc.)
Of course, they seem to be here to stay for a decade or so. But you can't predict what will happen in the next one. With media without DRM, you are safe knowing that it will last as long as you want it to last.

Return to “News”