The Chaos Conspiracy has been released!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 11 Jun 2012, 10:53

Now *that's bizarre. I swear that the LRoW dropped from the sky like you ocassionally see when an area respawns, when I was near the old Devils Outpost in Kreigspiere. It was certainly some sort of flower different from the normal 3 herbs. And I'd never been to the location on top of the Demonclaw mountain.

Strange. I also swear I dismissed some guy in Demonclaw - maybe in the bank? - but again, no, the last guy was hiding in another bank.

Oh well - thanks!

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 29 Jun 2012, 10:24

Hi guys, playing TCC mod in Orpheus's Gateway (the old Snergle's mine map). I get to the Gateway Door (the old door with the trap) and the character carrying the Horn of Vainen clicks on the door.......and the game freezes. You see a slight flash of what is probably the Horn on the mouse pointer just before everything freezes. A popup on the desktop says "Assertion failed at 4794 in D:\MM6Src\code\PARTY.CPP", clicking on OK in this popup closes the game. Has been replicated multiple times. Clicking on the with a character not carrying the Horn gives a message saying only the Horn of Vainen can open this door - but something looks to be going wrong with the code for this bit?????

So I uninstalled & reinstalled the basic game, but when I try to install the patch to 1.2 I get an error box "Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

I'm running Windows 7 & running the patch in Admin mode. Same happens when I try to patch to 1.1 then 1.2 with the separate patches.

I've used both Control Panel & the game programme to uninstall MM6, and deleted any surviving folder. I've reinstalled the original MM6 & still getting the same error when I try to patch to 1.2.

I guess it has to do with something being left over from the TCC mod installation, which doesn't get removed when you uninstall the original game, because this didn't happen when I first installed TCC, but it's not in the MM6 folder. Any ideas what else may be left over?

Alternatively is there a way to edit the game so the door is opened? I can't see me bothering to start again at this late stage, esp without knowing if the issue won't repeat, but I'd really like to finish

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 30 Jun 2012, 01:29

The good news is that it is an optional quest you are dealing with.

The bad news is I've never seen this before and I'm running Windows 7 as well. You shouldn't need to be an admin to launch. The only files that get overwritten during a TCC install should have been the maps and the data files.

My only suggestion would be to use Greyface's patch, and if that fails, just ignore the quest and go on.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 30 Jun 2012, 08:10

That would be great except that I can't reinstall the game at all.

I could try Greyface's patch I guess, rather than Mok's patch. I used Mok's patch only as that was what the instructions said, but will the mod work over Greyface's patch too?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 30 Jun 2012, 16:32

Yes several people have used Greyface's patch and BDJ recommended in other posts several months ago.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 30 Jun 2012, 22:37

OK just to confirm: it's the 1.2 patch that won't install at this stage, haven't even got to Mok's patch yet. Greyface's patch indicates v1.11.1, whereas the mod needs to go on top of v1.2 - and I can't patch it to 1.2

So does Greyface's patch also update to v1.2, or at least to a version that the mod will go on top of? I just tried to install Greyface's patch but there's a step about some optional fixes & an instruction that "uncheck this if applying over the top of a mod like TCC". So that indicates that Greyface's patch needs to go *after* the TCC mod, not before. But you need to patch before applying the mod. So what's the entire sequence using Greyface's patch?

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 02 Jul 2012, 23:06

SO guys as per previous post what is the sequence when using Greyface's patch with TCC: each looks like it has to be applied before the other?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 02 Jul 2012, 23:08

Ossie wrote:SO guys as per previous post what is the sequence when using Greyface's patch with TCC: each looks like it has to be applied before the other?
I have not use Greyface's patch, but I would assume the sequence would be the same as if you were using MOK's patch which I have used. Install MM6, patch it and then copy in the the TCC files.

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 03 Jul 2012, 10:20

OK now fixed. It threw me a little because Grey's patch referred to already having TCC installed, whereas TCC needs the patch installed first, but I used the sequence of Grey's patch, then TCC & this worked. My initial issue of the warded door has also been fixed with the reinstall. Thanks!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 Jul 2012, 16:13

Ossie wrote:OK now fixed. It threw me a little because Grey's patch referred to already having TCC installed, whereas TCC needs the patch installed first, but I used the sequence of Grey's patch, then TCC & this worked. My initial issue of the warded door has also been fixed with the reinstall. Thanks!
Glad it's working! :-D

ruckus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Bell of Summoning

Unread postby ruckus » 16 Jul 2012, 14:26

Have a Problem with Bell of Summoning. I cleared Temple of Tranquility and take Bell of Summoning before taking the Kathryn's Quest...

When I came to take quest, noticed that in an inventory I do not have Bell. I do not know as and when he disappeared, but I did not abort him. Temple of Tranquility was already cleared and another Bell did not appear there. Stuck. :(

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 16 Jul 2012, 17:55

have you tried a seer's lost items?
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 10 Aug 2012, 08:22

I am playing it now. Ouch, selected last option, was dead in first minute so I play now just below difficulty. Still very very hard, I like cleaning everything before leaving area/dungeon, but here is insane, you need to rest after each room.

Very good ;)

radagast82
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby radagast82 » 20 Aug 2012, 16:17

First of all, thanks for this great mod to all involved including people who have spent years in mm6 modding such as Grayface, Mok etc for the excellent patching and gameplay/interface/control improvements.
Don't think that your extraordinary dedication goes unnoticed, though I'm pretty sure those words don't mean that much to you coming from just one pc gamer. :) Oh well doesn't matter, truth must always be told. xD

Having in mind that mm6 still remains one of my top rpg experiences in this life (and boy I'm an rpg addict I can assure you of that..), I started the mod yesterday full of expectations which were hopefully answered if I judge from the beginning. It feels like a different game entirely and i kinda like the difficulty improvement and choices. (I chose the warrior)

Classic Party which I personally think is the more balanced one:
Paladin (warriorlike tank with healer/spirit skills to boot)
Archer (great asset to any party I always use him for air magic/starburst too)
Cleric (great healing/mind spells along with light spells later on is just imba)
Sorcerer (my personal favorite class due to immense casting choices and dark mastery later on)

I love the fact that the enemies, dungeons and quests are different and you don't really know what will happen when going to a new place, since everything seems different. I also think the fact that advancing to high level spells seems more difficult here, which makes it more balanced spell-wise. I think I'll have a great time searching for all the new stuff everywhere. xD

Btw all castles deny a hearing due to low diplomacy skill or it's just my idea? :S

I did find a small bug that was already mentioned in another post many pages before. Buccaneer's lair building in Ellesia. There is no merchant skill to be taught while it should be available to train correct?
Oh well, it's not major, but I hope this doesn't happen on other cities as well.

I might post again once I advance enough in the game. Onwards!

PS : Is any npc/mercenary useful for any time besides the classic scholar/teacher/instructor for the extra xp?
Last edited by radagast82 on 21 Aug 2012, 09:26, edited 2 times in total.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 20 Aug 2012, 16:44

I am playing it with 3 paladins and one sorceror. The mage I take it because of fly and town portal and buff spells, I don't get why people keep saying dark magic is great. At 20 points in he does -/+ 70 damage with shrapnel or others, while he does 73-93 with 2 relic daggers and the recovery time is much lower for weapons.

I never use combat magic, it is useless.

@radagast, visit every temple, magic shop and training center, you will be proposed every skill. For NPC I go for two healers even after water master, because several battles are very hard. Fly comes very late, good thing.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 22 Aug 2012, 12:43

Any insights why should I play second part?

I finished first and was awesome, went frustrated several times but finally made it. Now I entered second, visited 4-5 regions, empty with only flying super monsters. Some rock ate my coconuts ( :D ), other rocks just are deaf, not much to do except tedious air strikes. Town portals locations are not updated (probably it can't be done), a lot confused about regions to visit, is any available map out?

What is offering the second part, maybe I miss something?

Ouch, harpy hags, barely survived after that town portal by using my both NPC healers.

Shinok
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Shinok » 25 Aug 2012, 06:55

Arret wrote:When in doubt go straight to the source:

http://www.mediafire.com/my%20files/bdjs#hs6nrooefjdbc

This is all the documentation that I believe has been written by the makers of the game as well as the official downloads.

Part 2 is a separate download and install. All the instructions are in the readme file.
Anims Folder is missing there

Can someone upload final savegame from TCC Part 1 please?

radagast82
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby radagast82 » 25 Aug 2012, 19:54

After playing for some time, and rescuing Tamara I got a crash to desktop when I was trying to leave Kastutian Waters via ship for Katan to go see the seer for the first time.

Fact is that from that time on, I cannot load any of my saves, I keep getting a crash no matter what savegame I may use. I tried restarting the computer and disabling the PlayMp3 ini option, as well as try different compatibility modes on the executable but nothing works.

I suspect one of 2 things:
Either Tamara in the party has messed up/corrupted all of my saves or my installation, (she was the 3rd person from hirelings, I already had two)
or a recent today's ATI Catalyst Driver Update did the work.

Can't think of anything else... but feel free to give me any advice on what else it might be...

installation: grayface patch, tcc and legendary heroes.

Only thing that works is actually a new game.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 25 Aug 2012, 21:02

I have same problem, and I think it is related to Grayface quick save patch, maybe some memory limits, I don't know.

I run win XP and often when I save, it does not. Then game will crash on next tp or beacon, then quick save will be deleted. Knowing that, I make a lot of save backups but often I have to redo a dungeon because of this bug.

Very annoying, I would not keep playing if it was another game, but MM6 is just too good.

radagast82
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby radagast82 » 25 Aug 2012, 21:17

Salamandre wrote:I have same problem, and I think it is related to Grayface quick save patch, maybe some memory limits, I don't know.

I run win XP and often when I save, it does not. Then game will crash on next tp or beacon, then quick save will be deleted. Knowing that, I make a lot of save backups but often I have to redo a dungeon because of this bug.

Very annoying, I would not keep playing if it was another game, but MM6 is just too good.
Interesting though it's not really the same problem is it...

I'm actually using 5 quicksaves and have already well over 25 normal saves. Could this be it? A memory issue from having too many save games? I guess I can try removing them and trying loading with just one save in folder or so.
On the other hand I think I'm a bit tired with windows 7-64bit and their problems with old games and I'm already installing virtualbox and windows xp at this moment, just to make things easier for mm6.

EDITED:
FFS I found the culprit. It was indeed the number of save games. As soon as I moved some of the files to another folder, the game magically worked. I tried loading either the autosave, the quicksaves or a normal save, and they all work fine now.

I guess having many save games is a BIG NONO, since the game can't really handle it, strange that I'm the first to report it though. It seems most people are usually ok with just the quicksaves/autosave.
It would be nice though, if a future patch actually let us have as many save games as we like...

Return to “Might and Magic”