Heroes III: how would you rank the towns?

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Korbac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Korbac » 25 Apr 2012, 04:07

I would like to quote Jolly Joker about the balance between towns:
If there is an abundance of resources and money as on the easier difficulty levels, the differences in built-up requirements for the different towns are obscured, although those differences are clearly part of the overall balancing of towns. For instance, it is rather obvious, that Dungeon has a great line-up with 3 flyers (6th and 7th level creatures included), 2 medium shooters and 2 grunts. Getting all creature structures on impossible difficulty is another matter. The Pillar of Eyes which gives Dungeon its 3rd level creature is a prerequisite for every creature dwelling thereafter. To build the Pillar of Eyes you need 1000 gold and 1 each of the six resources. On easier difficulties it is no problem to build this structure. On impossible difficulty you may find it impossible to build that structure in the first week, because with only a bit of bad luck you simply may not find a stack of every resource.
Also, Salamandre, you mentioned that in the middle of week one you could send out several scout-hooligan heroes to the enemy territory to pick up goodies in the Tournament of Honor. What difficulty were these games played on ?

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 25 Apr 2012, 11:25

Usually 130%, 160% when map rich. Playing on impossible makes no sense vs human. They know how to gather resources, so game is only longer.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 May 2012, 16:08

Salamandre wrote:Usually 130%, 160% when map rich. Playing on impossible makes no sense vs human. They know how to gather resources, so game is only longer.
Ugh. Are you telling me that every single map played in said competition has an even distribution of freely available unguarded rare resources? My respect for any results so obtained plummets to less than zero, in that case.

Of course, if that's not the case, then the idea that the "game is only longer" falls on its face. Towns whose heroes have a better selection of starting troops and whose build queues require fewer rare resources have a distinct advantage on impossible difficulty.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 27 May 2012, 23:42

The point in MP is to fight from first day. Therefore we should be able to recruit at least 2-3 heroes, and build level 2 dwelling. Starting on 200% means you have only one hero, and it depends only on the luck if the first chest you meet is gold or artefact. In general maps are well balanced for 130/160%. I mean the mobs near town can be defeated with combined army of first two heroes + build dwell.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 28 May 2012, 15:13

As I said, if settings are chosen to skew in favor of the more resource-dependent towns, I would not trust such as an indication of town strength.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 05 Jun 2012, 05:07

That did said, not every MPs're suitable for everyone too ! Being good at 'em doesn't mean being the best at any given game. While being the best wouldn't necessarily having the most fun as well :-D

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Jun 2012, 08:23

The strategy used in MP is very different from single. In Single Castle is clearly the best town, as the game is usually longer and archangels ability and speed help the most, granted you find clone somewhere. In MP rampart and stronghold are praised the most because you can have very early good creatures, thus you progress faster.

Both are enjoyable, MP is for those who have lots of free time and train on a regular daily base. Single is about custom maps mostly, playing randoms vs computer will leave a poor taste. However, designing very challenging single maps is very problematic, because most single players do not expect possible failure when playing against AI and will boycott the map. A good example is Lord of the rings chinese map ( http://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes3/maps ... gs_993.rar) which is an excellent single map but you can lose to AI. I could not win that map after a lot of trials and got even mad at.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 18 Jun 2012, 08:23

Very interesting. A bit off-topic here;

IMHO, losing to AI might be possible cause of 2 things, either one or all :

1. Player was not ready for such map. This could be many things, like very different point of view, game preference, skill, amount of time available, up to such meta-gaming influences like limited time dedicated for such map, real-life problem, etc.

2. Bad design. No matter how excellent any map was, it's still possible any tidbits of bad-design in there. For one, a map was really up to the maker's only. He be author, so he only decided what was gonna be in the map. Thus any shortsightedness, lack of experience or even annoying quirks to be a jester might ruin a map however subtle it was. Even if the maker wasn't doing it deliberately.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”