How to get voice acting in World of Xeen!! HELP!!!!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
setherial
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How to get voice acting in World of Xeen!! HELP!!!!

Unread postby setherial » 03 Apr 2012, 06:41

Hello,

I recently purchased the gog.com version of Might & Magic VI Limited Edition that came with World of Xeen (disk version) in 1 simply and easy installer. I downloaded and installed the game and it runs just fine but I notice that since it's the disk version there's no voice acting that comes with the CD version of the game.

Now I own the original 2 CD version of the game and I remember playing this YEARS ago with the voice acting but for whatever reason I can't get the GOG.com version to work with the voice acting. Can someone please point me in the right direction with detailed instructions on how to get it to work? Again I have the original CD's so the audio tracks are well within my means, just need a way to get the game to voice all the dialog.

Thanks!

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 03 Apr 2012, 12:31

Is the voice acting supposed to be everywhere in the CD version. Like, even in quest descriptions, all NPC texts, etc.?
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Apr 2012, 15:19

The limited edition includes the floppy version IIRC. Just install the CD version and that's it. You'll need to set up DOSBox yourself.

XEL, yes.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 03 Apr 2012, 19:25

Where can this version be downloaded?
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Apr 2012, 15:51

You're on your own on that one. I don't know if anyone sells those anymore, either.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Apr 2012, 15:24

XEL II wrote:Where can this version be downloaded?
Nowhere. Trust me, I tried to search it, no luck. I saw only ONE that version long, long ago, which vanished and I didn't find any other mirror in next years of that copy. So even illegal copies are unavailable.

PS
To mods:
I have legal MM1-5 from GoG.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 05 Apr 2012, 23:57

so the might and magic games are still considered sellable?

or is that just because of GOG? man they have ruined alot of Abandonware sites for me, now everyone is taking their stuff down because of them.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 06 Apr 2012, 06:51

Might and Magic titles are not abandonware since Ubisoft bought MM franchise.

Abandonware itself isn't or wasn't legal. It is just a hole in the law which use that, no one know to whom games/franchises right belongs now.

On the other hand, as long as no company complains, who cares? ;)

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 07 Apr 2012, 14:49

the day Ubisoft starts selling Might and Magic 1-9 game boxes on their webpage or in stores i will respect the "dont download abandonware herpaderp unf" law, but until then i will download til i drop.

you hear me, boy? TO THE DAY I DROP
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 07 Apr 2012, 15:45

If anyone has any information on how to obtain a copy of World of Xeen CD (retail or digital), please, post it here!

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 07 Apr 2012, 21:14

Actually guys I have one that I've got long time ago... it seems to be a 2CD version. Should it be on 2 cds or I've got something else?? I can share those two files, they are 550MB and 723MB in .bin + .cue format.

Edit: Opening the bin files I see that both those disks are written in mixed mode and contain a data track and an audio track. In the data track there is WOX game and a bunch of demos, while the audio tracks between the two disks aren't the same (this is the reason the two disks have so different size). I don't like the idea of putting the whole disks in open share because you can get a copy at GOG for a really fair price, but I don't know if the audio tracks will work alone if I'll extract them and then add them to a bought game installation.

p.s. I own my copies of MM1-9, all of them from GOG and some also boxed.
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 12 Apr 2012, 04:00

XEL II wrote:If anyone has any information on how to obtain a copy of World of Xeen CD (retail or digital), please, post it here!
Download Daemon Tools Lite (If you want to use a disk image of the Wox Disks)
Download D-Fend Reloaded and Dosbox
Send me your email via pm and I will send you a torrent so you can download the disk images

Under Mounting change Normal CDROM access via MSCDEX to change Low-level CDROM access and MSCDEX, digital audio extraction used for CD audio (DOSBox setting "-ioctl_dx")

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Apr 2012, 06:04

Rune_Caster wrote:Download Daemon Tools Lite (If you want to use a disk image of the Wox Disks)
Download D-Fend Reloaded and Dosbox
Send me your email via pm and I will send you a torrent so you can download the disk images

Under Mounting change Normal CDROM access via MSCDEX to change Low-level CDROM access and MSCDEX, digital audio extraction used for CD audio (DOSBox setting "-ioctl_dx")
If you have it as an image, you don't even need Daemon, since DOSBox is quite capable of mounting images on its own. The biggest problem with the CD version is that you need to be able to switch CDs, which is rather awkward to set up and take a while for the game to register.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 14 Apr 2012, 07:30

GreatEmerald wrote: If you have it as an image, you don't even need Daemon, since DOSBox is quite capable of mounting images on its own. The biggest problem with the CD version is that you need to be able to switch CDs, which is rather awkward to set up and take a while for the game to register.
It won't work the disk image is saved as *.mdx and dosbox can only mount files ending with *.iso *.img *.ima *.cue but images such as these do not contain the music tracks found within the full copy of the *.mdx so you need the daemon tools to run it.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Apr 2012, 10:54

Yes they do. The CUE format was made specifically for that purpose.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 15 Apr 2012, 07:31

GreatEmerald wrote:Yes they do. The CUE format was made specifically for that purpose.
So *.cue has the sound tracks in it? because if it doesn't the game will not launch.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 Apr 2012, 11:44

Yes. In fact, they are plain text. See the Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_%28computing%29

Endarire
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Endarire » 14 Oct 2014, 01:52

The GOG.com version of Might and Magic VI: Limited Edition includes the full speech version of Xeen as well as the standard version! Enjoy!

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 16 Oct 2014, 02:57

Endarire wrote:The GOG.com version of Might and Magic VI: Limited Edition includes the full speech version of Xeen as well as the standard version! Enjoy!
This is correct. It has both an unconfigured version, and a version with full speech. The sound drivers on the two are different though, so the music is changed.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 16 Oct 2014, 08:31

Arret wrote:
Endarire wrote:The GOG.com version of Might and Magic VI: Limited Edition includes the full speech version of Xeen as well as the standard version! Enjoy!
This is correct. It has both an unconfigured version, and a version with full speech. The sound drivers on the two are different though, so the music is changed.
I have 2-3 copies of World of Xeen on CD, I found a new copy of the game from amazon and bought it... I usually play it from the *.mdx disk copies and I don't notice any difference between the emulated disks and the real copy of the game.

Return to “Might and Magic”