Neverwinter Nights

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 07 Aug 2009, 07:30

Banedon wrote:You're playing NWN instead of NWN2? 8|
NWN 1 is better then second part. Maybe it is rules of D&D 3.0, maybe it is graphics (full equipment view not just icons, better spells graphics), maybe lack of Deekin in party in NWN2 ;P or maybe that NWN2 is so boring for me.
Something is not OK with second NWN, even campaign from Mask of Betrayer was not so great.

dogthenine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dogthenine » 31 Dec 2009, 03:12

Avonu wrote:
Banedon wrote:You're playing NWN instead of NWN2? 8|
NWN 1 is better then second part. Maybe it is rules of D&D 3.0, maybe it is graphics (full equipment view not just icons, better spells graphics), maybe lack of Deekin in party in NWN2 ;P or maybe that NWN2 is so boring for me.
Something is not OK with second NWN, even campaign from Mask of Betrayer was not so great.
Agreed.
NwN Rules! I'm still building a mod for it! [Anyone wanna help? :) ]
Part of the problem with NwN2 is that it is so much harder to create worlds. Whereas with NwN, you can plop down a basic area in no time flat.

And I agree with Banedon, something was just not OK with NwN2.

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 31 Dec 2009, 13:18

Neverwinter Nights 2 is a lot better than the first for me. It actually has long and solid story with lots of side quests, first was just hack and slash in a boring campaign with no good party. Maybe player-made content compensates for it, but I'm not too keen getting more content for a game I found boring and inferior even to Icewind Dales.

Number of times I've finished NWN 2 (and Mask of the Betrayer, which has excellent Torment-like story): 3.
As for NWN 1: 0.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 01 Jan 2010, 18:09

Shame on you then, because NWN 1 is better. It has a better eeling to it than the second one. I don't say NWN2 is crap, currently playing through it, but for some reason it doesn't have that charm that 1 has...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jan 2010, 16:55

You just had a thing for the crazy elf Paladin lady, admit it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 02 Jan 2010, 22:05

Yeah, she was good to me. Too bad our relationship ended on a quick note...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jan 2010, 00:23

Well you can always try to get her to apologise when you meet her again in Cania. (HotU was much better imo)
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 15 Mar 2012, 04:35

Been hooked to this game again with CEP 2.4
Rose of Eternity I & II .... Just Awesome!

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 17 Mar 2012, 01:10

Totally random question but this seems like a reasonable place to ask it.

Suppose we have a Mage / Sorcerer with Premonition up. A Ranger somewhere shoots an arrow at him, and hits (i.e. damage gets absorbed by Premonition).

Where does the arrow go? Does it just clatter onto the ground? Does it get absorbed as well (and disappear)? Does it vanish in a blaze of sparks? Can someone else pick it up and use it? :|
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ByteBandit
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby ByteBandit » 17 Mar 2012, 02:10

Hard for me to answer that as I always play Fighter class trying to become Blackguard. Evil is good in NWN only. But I hope you get the answer you seek ...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Mar 2012, 07:43

I think hit =/= do damage. It could mean that something hit character armor/shield but bounced from it, not doing any damage. Or just do flesh wound (no, not that kind of flesh wound from Monty Python and Holy Grail :P).

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 18 Mar 2012, 14:50

Lol this is for role-playing purposes, not in-game @_@
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Mar 2012, 14:57

Isn't NWN 1 RPG game after all (especially in multiplayer with GM online)? :P

EDIT:
I just thought you need that for multiplayer/GM purposes.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 27 Mar 2012, 09:17

Heh, I'm still playing this as well. Good ol' game.
Banedon wrote:
I used to have this manual with some of the best builds ever created for NWN. They're all power builds though and no RP - so if role playing is what you enjoy, don't look there.
me self prefers RP builds than powergaming. Those powergaming always forgot they started at level 1 instead of 40 right out. Actually, there be no such power-builds, only a build which is better at certain condition, not for all conditions. Regardless, if u maxed u'r level, everyone came relatively same.
Banedon wrote: Suppose we have a Mage / Sorcerer with Premonition up. A Ranger somewhere shoots an arrow at him, and hits (i.e. damage gets absorbed by Premonition).

Where does the arrow go? Does it just clatter onto the ground? Does it get absorbed as well (and disappear)? Does it vanish in a blaze of sparks? Can someone else pick it up and use it? :|
Well, in that case, RP-wise, the arrow never hit the wizard in the first place. It just past through. Hitting air.

The arrow's "damage gets absorbed by the magic" is the game's simulation of what happened when the wizard simply evade it.

Premonition is a divination spell, it allows the caster to divine where he would get hit by a physical blow, and accordingly, evade that location. Thus, when the blow actually happened, he already get out of the danger.

This is like if u're standing on a rail, and a train come to u. U predict that within the next 15 secs the train will be in u'r location, and u'll get hit. So, to avoid getting hit, u simply move out of the rail within that 15 secs.

In game, powerful weapon (with more than +5 enchantment) is so difficult to prevent either because it can interferes directly with the magic flow used for the divination thus disrupting the spell, undetected by the magic, or simply by-pass the premonition attempts.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 27 Mar 2012, 14:54

If Premonition acts by avoiding the arrow entirely, what about Stoneskin? And damn, that means I've got some serious thinking to do for this story I'm writing.

Also sure some campaigns you start from level 1 instead of 40, but others you do start at level 40, and a maximum power level 40 build has its place :)

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 30 Mar 2012, 10:30

Well, Stoneskin and Greater Stoneskin are different from a Premonition.

These two are a Transmutation spell which transform u'r skin into stone-like substance, both texture and hardness, much like a Stone to Flesh or Stonehold spells (but in the case of Stoneskin, the spell's magic allow u to retain control of u'r physical/biological process so u don't die from the magic).

Since u'r skin would be as stone, u'll be able to resist physical damage (which would normally cause wound on flesh). However, extra strong blows or magical damage of sufficient powers would still be able to hurt u. Just like a stone might no break when hit by a car, but a bulldozer charge would still broke it.

In campaigns or PvP settings where u start at lvl 40, don't forget that mostly u don't go around killing weak goblin or crippled skeletons. Most likely u'll be against epic monsters with CR not below 35, with gazillions of ST and/or immunity to practically every magical effects. Power builds tend to focus on one aspect to overcame this, and neglecting others. But when such aspect didn't come out, u'll get both ruined chara & weak story.. :D

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 30 Mar 2012, 10:58

What if a mage is protected by Premonition but somehow unable to move (e.g. hit by Hold Person or something, maybe physically bound with chains, etc)?

As for starting out at level 40, it's not likely that a power build is crippled, e.g. a power build for Sorcerers might involve having a very high DC on spells, which is going to be (almost) universally useful. And besides worst case scenario you can use another power build :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Apr 2012, 12:53

Doesn't Premonition have rules for losing your whatever bonus that you lose when you're tied up?

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 09 Apr 2012, 08:49

Banedon wrote:What if a mage is protected by Premonition but somehow unable to move (e.g. hit by Hold Person or something, maybe physically bound with chains, etc)?
RP-wise, that's just like what's been said by TT.

By casting Premonition, u might know what's gonna happen within the next instant, so it's as if u're also cast whatever other physical protection spells u'd think would work by that instant because u know u'll be held the next few moments. Evading damage in this case was done by magical protection instead of actual physical movement.

Game-wise, it's rather complicated since in NWN (unlike previous games using same rule) there be no casting time duration. We simply wouldn't know if Premonition would be activated first or some other spell. So yeah, in-game, it's possible for a wizard to finish casting Premonition and get hit by say, Hold Person at the same time. However, as the Premonition didn't get failed at once, I suspect it's casting would finish first.

After checking the manual again, seems only Greater Stoneskin was actually a Transmutation. Stoneskin was an Abjuration. I guess this be made to balance the think with transmuter (or conjurer, I forgot) not being able to cast any reasonably useful protection spell at mid level.

Another spell school which might give u a damage reduction is Illusion (Ghostly Visage, Shadow Shield, etc). This be cause in some rules illusionist can't cast Abjuration as well.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”