Might and Magic Tribute: 2012 Update

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Might and Magic Tribute: 2012 Update

Unread postby Asomath » 30 Jan 2012, 01:31

MMT 2012 Report
Hello everyone! A lot has been happening with Might and Magic Tribute over the past few months, and we would like to update everyone on the progress of MMT as to where we stand at this point in time. Here are the major updates:

Welcome Home MMT

It’s been six months since we moved from Castle Gobs to our temporary forums. Although the discussion was able to continue, the problem of actually having a primary location for the project remained.
We finally decided to give Might and Magic Tribute a home. It’s still in a transitory phase, but at the moment has most of its functionality. Check it out here.
http://www.mmtribute.com/

Dialogue System

Akkarin, a coder for the MMT team, nailed out the basics of the MMT dialogue system in UDK.

He kept the structure in place, so most of the dialogues from the previous MMT versions can be transferred over, saving a lot of unnecessary work. In this dialogue system there can be different dialogue texts and dialogue options depending on conditions like race, gender, amount of gold, or number of skillpoints! So think twice before you send your Necromancer to knock on the door of that Cleric of the Sun.

Also, certain actions can be performed through dialogues, e.g. increase/decrease amount of gold, increase experience of each character, learn skill, set level of expertise of certain skill (expert, master, grandmaster)

Karigor… isn’t that an island?

Many people know about Might and Magic Tributes almost controversial decision to call the lands north of Jadame Karigor. Some fans didn’t care; others considered a nuance, while others named it as blatantly disregarding game lore.

We have decided that evidence entirely supports that Karigor is an island nation. Our goal is to make Might and Magic Tribute as lore-friendly as possible. Although there are possible work-arounds to the lore, we believe the best way is to respect that Karigor is an island far off the coast of Enroth, and to rename the lands of MMT.
For now, the chief theatre will simply be referenced as Continent Five, or more simply Cont-5, as it is the fifth major land on Enroth. A new name will be decided at a later date. Karigor will likely still be a playable region in MMT, but more on that will come in time.

Modeling

A long time project contributor, Sinbad will continue his work on MMT project. With UDK the standards are even a bit higher than before. For his project, he's been working on the exterior of the first dungeon the players will encounter, the massive pyramid-like structure called the Abandoned Temple.
As of today, Sinbad has completed the model… it is in the process of being implemented.

Creating Serenity
Serenity is the starting zone for Might and Magic Tribute. Basic terra-forming has been completed. Prototyping has begun. For those who don’t know, prototyping is the process of laying out the maps basic objects (buildings, fountains, etc.) in both relative position and proportion.

Serenity will be the first demo released for Might and Magic Tribute. We are still shooting to have a playable demo in the hands of Fans this summer, as it is stated on the calendar on the website.

Conclusion

And that is what has happened so far. As always, we will ask for the community’s aid and support throughout the game development, from contributing resources, to suggesting game ideas, or even helping to advertise the project!

Might and Magic Eternal,
~Asomath
E-Mail: asomath@mmtribute.com
Forums: http://mmtribute.forumotion.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Might-and ... 8756884911
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BookOfCeth
Last edited by Asomath on 30 Jan 2012, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 30 Jan 2012, 06:04

YAY! So the Project IS still alive, on these forums no one knew weather or not it was dead. Im glad that it is still alive! Do you think it will be finished by next year? I can't wait!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 30 Jan 2012, 08:44

Great to hear MMT is still alive.
Personaly I don't care where is Karigor in MMT - it's fan project, not official game.

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 30 Jan 2012, 11:13

You have made a very good progress, considering also that MMT has been in pause for around a year, until you got it running again!
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 30 Jan 2012, 19:56

Good news.

Asomath, where does this map pf Enroth come from? It's pretty much accurate (as is map from Russian calendar I helped to compose), the only minor discrepancy is that Jadame should be a bit more to the north.

Btw, if you need some help with lore and maybe assistance with writing, I'd be glad to help. But I'm also part of MMX team and plan to get working on it more, so I may not be always available.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 30 Jan 2012, 19:57

We appreciate ya'lls enthusiam!

I cant promise (and it is extremely unlikely) that the ENTIRE game will be done by the end of 2012. But I can guarantee we'll get some playable content out for testing this year.

@XEL I made it with the help of a lot of people on this forums. Its still in the works, and your words are taken into account.

~Asomath

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 30 Jan 2012, 20:11

Can you please give us any previews on the game's storyline?
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 30 Jan 2012, 20:38

XEL II wrote:Asomath, where does this map pf Enroth come from? It's pretty much accurate (as is map from Russian calendar I helped to compose), the only minor discrepancy is that Jadame should be a bit more to the north.
Major part of work, I guess, is derived from my discussions with Cepheus:
http://www.castlegobs.nl/forums/index.p ... topic=1600
Last edited by Nomad on 31 Jan 2012, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 31 Jan 2012, 01:07

XEL II wrote:Can you please give us any previews on the game's storyline?
We will give updates to that effect as they are prepared.

~Asomath

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 31 Jan 2012, 14:05

Just a question regarding this. Are you rewriting story or using elements(or whole story) that were outlined when project was more active?

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 31 Jan 2012, 23:52

This is awesome Asomath! I love the graphics and the interface!

Are your character portraits going to be stationary or animated?

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 01 Feb 2012, 08:48

tress wrote:
Just a question regarding this. Are you rewriting story or using elements(or whole story) that were outlined when project was more active?
Rewriting the story would mean this is a completely another project. If it's purpose really is to continue MMT, it should continue where it was left, methinks.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 01 Feb 2012, 13:10

If there is a rewrite, I imagine it would be out of necessity since the present plot/setting is incompatible with Might and Magic's canon in some respects.

Story isn't everything. As it is now, I can see a few ways to tweak the Karigor idea but hold on to the vast majority of the game design (basic plot, classes, regions, dungeons, NPCs, items).

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 01 Feb 2012, 19:53

Corlagon wrote:If there is a rewrite, I imagine it would be out of necessity since the present plot/setting is incompatible with Might and Magic's canon in some respects.

Story isn't everything. As it is now, I can see a few ways to tweak the Karigor idea but hold on to the vast majority of the game design (basic plot, classes, regions, dungeons, NPCs, items).
Please have the Mogred Beasts!

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 09 Feb 2012, 20:40

I do share the same mindset as Corlagon. Our goal in a story rewrite would not be to start from scratch so to speak, but rather to take the core of Might and Magic Tribute, as well as a majority of the game design that’s been worked out over the past few years, and revise it to some extent. This would mean things like general geographical location or flow of story would be edited, but most of the games integrity would remain intact.

Needless to say, in these 6 months leading up to the Serenity demo, as well as likely the entirety of the 2012 year, the story is not going to be at the top of the priority list. This time is going to be focused on developing the essential game mechanics and generating artistic resources.

~Asomath

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 10 Feb 2012, 00:58

i'll give you a second chance to prove yourself with a demo, for old times sake.

after some 8 years or so waiting for this game i can afford that.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 10 Feb 2012, 02:32

I think thats a thought shared by all Talin. These past year really is the last push for MMT. Coming on to 9 years of development, this projects been under construction for far to long. I feel that if this final breath of motivation doesnt yield what it needs to, in a reasonable timeframe, the it might finally be time for MMT to let its last flame die out rather than continue leading a fanbase on a roller coaster ride.

To that effect, isnt he cute? Sinbad's been workin on him today. Its the Tripod, a lovely predator in Serenity. A giant carnivorous three-legged tarantula so to speak... with spikes for good measure:

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 10 Feb 2012, 02:50

Nice creature there! Sinbad is a pro!

As for the story, I'd like to see a lot of lore on Mekorig the Blind. He was very unexplored and mysterious in the MM series. There's lots of potential material to work with! I'd be willing to help out too, since MMX is in good hands with my level designer Rick doing tons of work! It would be nice to dive into that era of MM too.

-Alamar

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 13 Feb 2012, 12:35

You wouldn't believe what I've just found o.O

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 13 Feb 2012, 13:40

Wow! A russian calendar for 2009 made by some fans!
It looks very good but I don't think that it's reliable regards the placing of the continents, it seems that they are fit just right in the available space. Still their shape seem correct!
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Return to “Might and Magic”