Might & Magic: Heroes VI - Haven - A Battle Lost and Won

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 04 Dec 2011, 16:43

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/790
The river of time wash away all heroes

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 04 Dec 2011, 16:43

They probably shoulda just given all the neutral forts to the enemy factions, that might have actually made it interesting, this one was setup well but endedup being blah after the early stages, the AI's calculation methods are meh so far in the game, it woulda been epic if they had all the towns and the Necro Faction actually did something.

Also, I did have Orange attack me in this one, if you leave your town empty and stray far enough they will try to come up and attack, and they do try to retake their lost towns . if only Red was given more resource to work with and/or scripted better on judging how large an army to send (relative to your strength better).
The river of time wash away all heroes

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 21 Dec 2011, 15:56

Recently I have heard quite a few comments about the difficulty of this mission.

While I still think the order of conquest suggested in the walkthrough is quite optimized, at the time of writing this I did not realize that Arache is bugged and drains a lot more than 15% of the damage dealt. So I must have underestimated the difficulty of this mission for people who did not have Arache (or choose not to use it due to its bugged status).

SvartSol
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SvartSol » 13 Jan 2012, 03:19

Well I don't know if u realize that "pressed attack" does an even greater attack then the heroes normal damage. All I did in this campaign from the start, was giving her the phoenix "since she is magic". And Anton walking around with mass range units. I split them up, into 3-4 stacks. Then I waited the first round, until someone got good moral. Then "pressed attack" and killed two units straight, three if Im lucky (depending if the range unit got cleave or not (getting the last hit))

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 13 Jan 2012, 18:25

In my campaign the invasion threats were not small at all, but through attrition and some grinding I eventually got some momentum.

A good strategy in games like these is to have a secondary hero with a decent army sit outside one of the enemy towns, forcing a fight in the open field as opposed to a siege. In this map, that allowed Anton to make his way south and conquer without fear of enemies approaching from the capital in the north.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Thoram
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Thoram » 07 Feb 2012, 00:51

One stats booster is missing on the map - south of fort O (Armorsmith).

I'm unable to attack the town P from my ally. Something similar also happened to me during the undead campaign, maybe this was patched - don't kill your allies.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 16 Feb 2012, 16:25

In my opinion this was by far the weakest mission boss, relative to the army size/ power that any normal player would have accumulated by the time he arrived at the boss fight.

gsandro1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gsandro1 » 02 Aug 2012, 20:51

great walk through thanks

sufficiency
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby sufficiency » 11 Oct 2012, 07:32

I played this mission using a Tear Magic Anton. It's so easy that it's boring. Just summon Light Elemental and kill everything.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 14 Nov 2012, 19:53

Playing this mission in Oct/Nov 2012, with patch version 1.8.0.

Some notes:

1) My 2nd in command was not a "she", but a "he" - maybe because I played as Might Tears. Maybe you should mention that the 2nd hero is not always a "she".

2) I didn't read the walkthrough at first, but tried to play on my own.

I did not go underground, but tried to push west first.

The Hero in Town J was very powerful, and I was only able to beat her by waiting 1-2-3 weeks to get more troops. She could take my Town K, but just went back to her own town instead.

The town she controlled had a lot of troops in it, so I caught her off guard outside the town, when she tried to flag a gold mine, which I cleared the defenders of (but did not take, because if I did, then the mine would become the enemy's).

Using Basic Town Portal + Traveler's Boots (+8 movement) I was able to attack and take the town where most of the troops were left, then beat her easily, since she left most troops in the town.

NOTE: For some reason, there were at least 2 Traveler's Boots on the map, and I got more from the Adv. Marketplace.

3) As someone else noted, the game did not allow me to attack the Necro allies.

4) A bit after the time when my Anton reached the Level 30 cap, I decided to level up my 2nd hero.

There are two Magic Might/Defense boosting buildings on the map (one is underground), so I thought it is better to level up both Anton and the 2nd hero to at least Level 21 first, so that I can get a +3 stat, and not +2 (which you get if your hero is level 20 or lower).

5) Watching out for good deals on Crystal (and maybe the other resources earlier in the mission) in the Advanced Marketplace helped mid-game, since you are short on Crystal then.

6) If you play as Might, you can only use 4 of the 6 parts of the Prophet set.

7) In the Russian version, the Haven Town Town seems to have a name - "Slantich".
Edited on Thu, Nov 15 2012, 15:45 by Naki
May the Implosion be with you!

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Aug 2013, 00:57

"Only the faction on the surface will invade you."

wrong. This mission is quite difficult as of 2.1.1. At least until you take most of orange and red's towns.

Orange invades in week 4 with a sizeable army (about 3 weeks worth) and a high level hero (24) with chain lightning, firestorm, and fireball to smack you around with. Red now releases a mid level hero (22), or even high level (27) every week starting in week 3, and a high level hero (level 27 with a HUGE army, on week 4 that heads due north to cut you off from reaching the Stag army reinforcements. I'm thinking the better strategy (having now done the underground first) is NOT to invade underground first, but to try and meet up with your "reinforcements" first, before red puts his big army between you and them.

This is not a piece of cake any more. hardest mission 4 of all the campaigns, by far IMO (at least through about the end of month 2). I'm actually taking significant losses sometimes, which I can't recall happening in any of the other final campaign maps.

other dynasty traits good for this mission:

-merchant (acts like 2 marketplaces for trade purposes; lets you build up MUCH faster)

-planeswalker (cuts movement costs of casting portal spells in half - VERY useful if you need to bounce around a lot, which u kinda do in this mission!)

weapons: Arachne is nerfed now (patch 2.1.1). Still decent permanent life drain, but it is nerfed down to acting as if you cast a permanent version of the mass life-drain spell (life returned is exactly 15% of the damage - from all sources - that a stack does during its turn); but really its best feature is the aoe slow spell at level 5. Instead, two MUCH better weapons are the pirate king sword (from crag hack's dlc campaign) which essentially makes you unstoppable once you have crusaders (+2 move +10 morale on first turn, automatically!), or especially in the beginning of the mission, the Sword of Whistlebone (again fully upgraded), as it reduces enemy initiative by 10, or the wolf sword (raises your own init by 10). which lets you get your phoenix on top of things like air elementals before they can act. But yeah, if you have the pirate sword at at least level 4, "boarding" will carry you once you have a decent army. Whistlebone is actually also good for the last boss, for the slight magic resist boost, and better might damage. though really, at about 4 months in, your army should be sufficient to take him out in a single turn.

A bit late in the game, but Maltz is definitely right in going blood for Haven might hero; the tears special abilities are nearly useless in and of themselves (though the boosts to tear SKILLS are nothing to sneeze at), while the blood ones are almost always useful, especially anathema, which can reduce morale so much the enemy fails to act at all (seems to depend on stack size - the smaller the stack size, the more likely it seems to fail to act). The boosts to blood skills are almost as good as the equivalent boosts to tears if you went the other way. Full blood rep mass heroism is a match made in heaven for a haven might hero. 15% boost to archery and giant damage, and hopefully you took the boosts (all of them) to might itself, which amount to a hefty boost of 12 might! Frankly, at level 25 i already have 3 skill points left I don't really need.

Hopefully you spent time leveling up your secondary hero on map 3, as they will be useful right off the bat here. chain lightning clears out entire armies at the beginning, allowing you access to easy crystal resources, cash, and other things. Staves that boost init and magic power are useful here. The one you can buy (The Oblivion), is good.

You might be tempted to build angels in the second week at your first town. DON'T. the next town you get (d) only has up to elite units available, and you're better off building a decent upgraded army of elites and core by the end of the second week. if you build angels, you won't be able to afford them OR most of the rest of the units at the start of week 3. wait to build angels until you have a full sized and upgraded core and elite unit army. you will have probably found the banner that will boost their growth so you can have a decent stack when you get around to building them (it's near town d) either at the end of week 3 or 4.

FWIW, I found only a single passive stack of crusaders near the starting town, but at 20 strong, it wouldn't even offer to join my pitifully small army, let alone the fact that I doubt I could have afforded them anyway, even with diplomacy. I saw no other standing friendly stacks anywhere near the first two towns; there are some archliches you can get above town A, and oddly they don't seem to detract much from your morale if you combine them with your army. Quite useful. There is a stack of passive light elementals just north of the second town, but again, they won't join unless you already have a decent sized army. Likewise, at the outmost edge of the area to the west of your starting town, there is a stack (17) of "friendly" water elementals, but AGAIN, even with diplomacy, and the diplomacy hat on, they wouldn't join my army of 8 archliches, 20 xbows, sentinels, and vestals, with even a handful of blazing glories! there are also a couple dozen imperial griffins you can get from a barbarian arena, but you also have to fight over 2 dozen (each!) jaguar warriors, upgraded centaurs, AND upgraded cyclops. can't do that one with 3 phoenixes and a handful of core troops :P

So, my point is, don't be counting on free troops joining you to pad your army out early. you won't be able to get them to join until at least week 3 or 4, when you have a decent sized army to intimidate them with. Frankly, I think I've only found diplomacy as a skill useful exactly ONE time, in all of the campaigns, and that was just to reduce the cost for getting the stacks if you rush the last map of the sanctuary campaign. Diplomacy most definitely needs tweaking.

Edited on Sun, Aug 25 2013, 02:46 by Sir_Toejam

jsg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jsg » 18 Sep 2014, 15:17

I found this level quite challenging. For me, the breakthrough was realizing I had to keep a hero chain in position from the main base to the middle of the board near the portal so I could send troops back to deal with the invading reds. After that, everything fell together and the walkthrough worked. If you try to move your main hero back and forth there just isn't enough time to deal with both the orange and red fronts.

darkscis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby darkscis » 08 Dec 2014, 04:44

An Inquisitor Anton (Magic/Blood) absolutely breaks this mission. High magic power + Word of Light + 90% of the map being Inferno = difficulty 0.1/6 on hard mode. Admittedly it's a hard slog through map 1 and 2 of the campaign to get here but it's incredible fun. Build straight for glories, give them and only them to Anton and proceed to wipe the map.

Against neutrals and no hero garrisons, Word of Light should wrap it up in a single turn (start with Sunburst, then Word of Light on turn 2 to heal if it looks like WoL won't do it alone).

Against enemy heroes you will notice a single empty spot in their back line when they deploy. Turn 1 summon light elementals there. The light elemental retaliation sunburst seems to scale with your own magic power, in my recent run the ~17 or so elementals I summoned did a sunburst for over 1400 damage which spears their entire lineup due to where you summon them. The first enemy stack that takes its turn will hit them and basically blow up their entire army. Follow it up on turn 2 with WoL and it's game over. (Make sure you line up your glories with that empty spot so that the light elemental retaliation hits them and heals whatever damage the enemy hero did to them). I stuck all my other troops on Valeska (who I had levelled during map 3) and just let her flag mines and teleport around dealing with the roaming enemy heroes.

To start I left 10 sentinels on Anton and gave the rest to Valeska who headed straight for town A. Anton cleared the neutral stacks in the immediate area for resources then headed straight for fort C. Valeska took town A on turn 2 then immediately headed for fort B. Anton took fort C and it's mines then headed straight west for town D -> fort I -> town J -> fort L and then finally town K. Valeska took fort B then cleared mines and resources for another hero to snap up. She then went into passive defense duty.

Anton then town portaled home, grabbed the new blazing glories and headed into the underground, taking E -> F -> G -> H. Once the new week's troops arrived Valeska went and took town U, then up the stairs to take M. Anton headed for N and O. By this stage the map was essentially over, Anton and Valeska took the remaining towns then roamed about getting stat boosts and other stuff.
Edited on Mon, Dec 08 2014, 00:10 by darkscis

Return to “Articles”