New here

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

New here

Unread postby Kelben » 09 Jan 2012, 07:39

Hi guys, just bought H6 few hours ago for about USD 28.00, I really do not know what the shop has been doing shelling it out at this price but well, one guy is happy.
Played since H2 though, discovered the site during H5 and I find it resourceful.

Now I will play the advocate of the devil :devil:
I found the changes are quite going in the good direction in the sense that a lot of bothering micro-management is taken out to focus more on the action.

Examples:
- Mines controlled via key-points, being a city or a fort is quite a relief. No more chasing after a swarm of lvl 1 heroes with 1 unit flagging your mine. You want my mine, take my keep. Straightforward, allow for setting up proper defense without running all over the map again and again.
- This brings me to the second point of having 1 special resource only. Not too bad either considering the above. You can now set-up a hero to plunder a mine for 1 week and I believe it pays a lot to cripple blood crystal production for that amount of time (in multiplayer).
- Who seriously miss the caravans? That was a pain in the a$z to setup every week for little reward, some were blocked along the road, never finding their way to the castle... This particular design choice though prevents to cut enemy reinforcement (in multiplayer) and thus should be re-thought somewhere in between. Maybe something like dwellings from an area effectively automatically boost the production in the main city but between those cities you still need to run caravans... It was pointless to setup 20 caravans arriving in 1 or 2 turns time for 12 halflings.

I need to play more to better evaluate the consequences of those changes but first-hand impression is not as bad as I could read. Okay, I did not mention the skill redesign. :baby:

And yes, releasing the game in the shape it was (is?!), is a shame, Bad Ubi, bad! I mean you must not touch the game at all to miss luck bonus or griffins' special... :ill:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 09 Jan 2012, 14:40

If you update the game to 1.2 those issues will be fixed. Btw the new features, love them or hate them, they are well implemented in the campaigns. For the most part the devs have achieved what they went for though a few tweaks could help. Especially the skill system.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 09 Jan 2012, 17:35

Yep game updated and as I mentioned I sorta like them.

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 10 Jan 2012, 00:22

Welcome to the forums. ^_^

Having the external dwellings increase the recruitment of the city, rather than directly caravaning the troops, is still pretty nifty to me. I think that's a great implementation. Having there be one giant pool of troops shared between all cities is kinda weird, though. Making each city have separate pools of troops, letting the externals increase recruitment to the city within their zone of control, and requiring us to caravan between cities would make sense and be a decent compromise...

... but I'm happy with it as it is now. Honestly, if they really want to go remake a system, the generic, uninspired skill tree could really use something to make it more interesting. I don't like having to take the same skills on every single might hero regardless of the faction just to be decent, and magic damage is really underwhelming.

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 10 Jan 2012, 07:05

Thx Tale. Glad u find the compromise making sense and being decent. Like you I am not sure I would like to see it implemented though. ;|

For the skill tree, what would you suggest then? To me the system of blood and tears is quite neat, I definitely like it. Do you think that could be extended to the whole skill system somehow? Without making it too much symetric, different from faction to faction, and still in equilibrium... Up for the next beta? XD.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 10 Jan 2012, 07:14

Making some faction specific skills/spells, removing or modifying a few from some faction's hero classes, keeping others as common.. That would be a good start. And of course completing the magic trees, water has no soaking spells and earth/light have no decent tier 1-2 blood spells.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 10 Jan 2012, 10:40

The thing about separate troop pools for each city is that with the new Town Portal spells you'd just end up having one mule hero sit in every city and teleport the troops to your main hero anyways. Why bother with a five day caravan when you can teleport?

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 10 Jan 2012, 12:37

Yes you are right...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”