Is it really wise to get Heroes VI?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 05 Jan 2012, 17:35

Tale wrote:But if the problem is user specific and is an issue of configurations, application interference, virii, or pirating, then there's really not much the developer can (or, in the case of pirating, should) do. There's no reason the developer should be punished for those, and it's silly to recommend against getting the game as a result.
Do you really think that most of those bug reports are player-specific?

Great idea for Ubihole (patent pending :P) - declare all users experiencing game crashes pirates with a lot of viruses and "wrong" interfering applications and stop wasting resources on patching. Those resources are so needed for MMH7, don't you all want the series to continue? :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 05 Jan 2012, 18:55

Dalai wrote:Great idea for Ubihole (patent pending :P) - declare all users experiencing game crashes pirates with a lot of viruses and "wrong" interfering applications and stop wasting resources on patching.
John Romero did the same with Daikatana - those who were complaining about bugs were by Romero himself branded haters or pirates.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 05 Jan 2012, 20:46

klaymen wrote:After the devs do their jobs (read: fix bugs), I may buy it. At ~75% off.
Speak of the devil :D Heroes 6 deluxe 9.99 £ at Green Man Gaming Now all that remains is a patch or two.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 05 Jan 2012, 21:13

Elvin wrote:
klaymen wrote:After the devs do their jobs (read: fix bugs), I may buy it. At ~75% off.
Speak of the devil :D Heroes 6 deluxe 9.99 £ at Green Man Gaming Now all that remains is a patch or two.
And a user friendly Campaign editor.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 06 Jan 2012, 04:03

Dalai wrote:Great idea for Ubihole (patent pending :P) - declare all users experiencing game crashes pirates with a lot of viruses and "wrong" interfering applications and stop wasting resources on patching.
As a somewhat unrelated side comment... when Titan Quest was designed, one of the starting quests upon leaving the cave had an anti-piracy security check attached. If you pirated the game and attempted to start that mission, the game would crash to the desktop as part of the intended security. This was a double edged sword, of course; the pirated versions came out before the game did, and the game was bombarded with complaints about bad programming and massive crashing without even being released yet. One of the producers of ILE came out and said, "Hey, that's a pirated copy, the crash was designed!" but it did little good. Also, Titan Quest = awesome game.

They're not the only company who did that, either. Something similar exists with Dominions 3, although instead of crashing, it makes the game unplayable by changing the game itself for pirates. Arkham Aslyum turns you into a pathetic Batman who can't use his cape. I personally really like this strategy of copy protection, since it's not hardware related, doesn't effect legit purchasers, and is relatively simple to prove. But... that's pure opinion, and I know there are valid and strong arguments against.

If you're interested: http://www.cracked.com/article_19162_6- ... rates.html

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 07 Jan 2012, 22:39

Tale wrote:As a somewhat unrelated side comment...
I heard a similar story about Settlers or a similar game a long time ago. In pirated version armory (the end of one of the longest production chains) produced pigs instead of swords. I applauded to developers then :D A gamebreaker, obviously.

But I don't really think that those bugs are experienced by pirates only.

On another somewhat unrelated note, those bugs stink of very bad programming practices. Which is to be expected when developers are chosen based on cost only.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jan 2012, 23:09

Tale wrote:If you pirated the game and attempted to start that mission, the game would crash to the desktop as part of the intended security.
Teh Crash to Desktop was retarded... it just made it look like it was bad programming...

Serious Sam did it much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91q5BtlxK0

But really, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory wasn't cracked for more then a year, and i don't see anyone citing it as selling 2-3 times as much as other Splinter Cell games...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 08 Feb 2012, 19:14

Question: "Is it really wise to get Heroes VI?"
Answer: I highly doubt it. Remember this from the H6 Demo?

"More in depth" answer: No, not until they fix the sorry excuse for a game in a later patch, let's say 1.4 (or higher)

-Yurian
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 08 Feb 2012, 20:13

Yurian Stonebow wrote:"More in depth" answer: No, not until they fix the sorry excuse for a game in a later patch, let's say 1.4 (or higher)
It's a common wisdom that you shouldn't expect anything playable until 3.0. B-)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”