Map of World of Enroth (or C.O.L.O.N.Y.)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
vmxa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vmxa » 19 Dec 2011, 18:06

Mattard wrote:Tatalia is in HoMM 3 the home of the fortress town, which has units including, Lizard men, basilisks, Wyverns and hydra...
Never really associated Fortress towns with any specific area as they seem to be all over the place in Homm3 and not in MMVI or VII. I guess, if I replayed the campaigns, I may find tatalia mentioned. Homm was never very good about sticking to the lore of MM.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 19 Dec 2011, 18:27

The Fortress unequivocally belongs to Tatalia, no question about it. In H3's those towns are almost exclusively found in territories west of Erathia. In the Heroes Chronicles you can see how it was originally named and founded (Tatalia is a swamp-folk word meaning "community" IIRC).

In my opinion, MM7 is in fact the one which failed to stick to lore. Chronologically speaking, Tatalia was first introduced in H3 in early 1999, filled with lizardfolk, and then MM7 messes this up on its release a few months later with a region of the same name filled with nothing but humans and trolls.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 20 Dec 2011, 01:53

Corlagon wrote:The Fortress unequivocally belongs to Tatalia, no question about it. In H3's those towns are almost exclusively found in territories west of Erathia. In the Heroes Chronicles you can see how it was originally named and founded (Tatalia is a swamp-folk word meaning "community" IIRC).

In my opinion, MM7 is in fact the one which failed to stick to lore. Chronologically speaking, Tatalia was first introduced in H3 in early 1999, filled with lizardfolk, and then MM7 messes this up on its release a few months later with a region of the same name filled with nothing but humans and trolls.
So MM7 only represents the West coast of Tatalia? I guess you have to take all known games into account when determining lore.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 20 Dec 2011, 13:25

So the "real" Tatalia (as seen in HoMM3 is north of Tidewater, right?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Dec 2011, 16:04

Em, you would usually think so, but in one H3: The Shadow of Death mission (A Tough Start) you visit the exact same coastal region Tidewater was in - if the TELP map is accurate - and there's no sign nor mention of anything from MM7 at all. No Tidewater, no Erathians and no snow, just jungle and Fortress cities everywhere. So even the Tidewater zone was supposedly part of the "real Tatalia" at some point. Then again, that was a prequel and was made after MM7 came out.

But it and the Bracada Desert lead me to speculate that the MM7 team might have taken some liberties which the Heroes team subsequently chose to ignore, or maybe didn't even know about. Perhaps that's why the Lizardmen were introduced straight away in MM8, as a "sorry guys" to the Heroes fanbase? :P

Anyway, of course, there's room for in-universe explanations like it simply being an Erathian-occupied zone as of MM7. Erathia did counter-invade its fair share of Tatalian land in H3, after all.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Dec 2011, 18:05

Corlagon wrote:In my opinion, MM7 is in fact the one which failed to stick to lore. Chronologically speaking, Tatalia was first introduced in H3 in early 1999, filled with lizardfolk, and then MM7 messes this up on its release a few months later with a region of the same name filled with nothing but humans and trolls.
I don't think so but it is another story. Here's a hint:
MM7 wrote:Tatalia - "human territory"

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 20 Dec 2011, 19:40

So... bringing it back... does that hold any changeable significance when making the map of Antagarich?

~Asomath

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Dec 2011, 21:48

No, not really. I don't think you need to change anything.

I realise I still owe you those descriptions and maps. Sorry for the delay, it's mainly due to Christmas.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 20 Dec 2011, 21:54

Haha, no problem, I understand. There is no need for urgency on this matter.

~Asomath

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 21 Dec 2011, 09:01

Came to soemthing like that last time:

http://www.castlegobs.nl/forums/index.p ... 1600&st=15

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 21 Dec 2011, 09:02

Don't forget that according to the MM6 into video, Enroth occupies at least 25% of planet's surface

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 21 Dec 2011, 10:59

Nomad wrote:Don't forget that according to the MM6 into video, Enroth occupies at least 25% of planet's surface
More like 1/8 of planet surface.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 21 Dec 2011, 12:26

Avonu wrote: More like 1/8 of planet surface.
Anywas, it has to be far larger than Antagarich.

And for those isles marked ???, Asomath, I'd guess it's just southern shores of Jadame.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 21 Dec 2011, 21:44

Nomad wrote:Don't forget that according to the MM6 into video, Enroth occupies at least 25% of planet's surface
Don't take into account the MM6 intro vid...it was made before Enroth itself.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 22 Dec 2011, 07:40

MMXAlamar wrote:
Don't take into account the MM6 intro vid...it was made before Enroth itself.
Do take a look on the planet that's in video. It quite resembles the actual Enroth map.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 22 Dec 2011, 11:54

They were making the video before JVC had made the map.

Either way, Enroths larger size is taken into account here.

~Asomath

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 22 Dec 2011, 18:24

Asomath wrote:They were making the video before JVC had made the map.

Either way, Enroths larger size is taken into account here.

~Asomath
JVC possibly modeled his map after the one in the MM6 intro. Either way, the Hive crashed about where it was supposed to crash.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 23 Dec 2011, 18:39

Secret_Holder wrote: This is not true, because reptiles are cold-blooded and would be terribly adapted to a cold, snowy climate.
What I'm saying is that given that Tatalia is swamp and inhabited by so many reptilian creatures (lizardmen, serpant flies, hydra, basilisks, gorgon) one would generally assume that the place was pretty warm, tropical even. But given that the place is actually so close to Vori it must be fairly cold.

There are actually plenty of lizards and snakes that can live in fairly cold environments quite happily. I happen to possess a nocturnal gecko whose species comes from the southern end of New Caledonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gargoyle_Gecko

Gargoyle Geckos effectively live in the coldest part of New Zealand and not only that, they come out at night when it is even colder, it's not getting cold these creatures are worried about, it's rather getting hot.

So there's no basic problem with the idea that Tatalia is a cold temperate enviroment that has reptilian creatures living there.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 26 Dec 2011, 02:27

This is taken from the "climate" part of Wikipedia's entry on New Caledonia:
The climate is tropical, with hot and humid period from November to March with temperatures between 27°C and 30°C,[35] and a cooler, dry period from June to August with temperatures between 20°C and 23°C,[35] linked by two short transition periods.[11] The tropical climate is strongly moderated by the oceanic influence and the trade winds that attenuates humidity, which can be close to 80%.[35] The average annual temperature is 23°C, with historical extremes of 2.3°C and 39.1°C.[11]

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 01 Jan 2012, 12:38

Secret_Holder wrote:This is taken from the "climate" part of Wikipedia's entry on New Caledonia:
The climate is tropical, with hot and humid period from November to March with temperatures between 27°C and 30°C,[35] and a cooler, dry period from June to August with temperatures between 20°C and 23°C,[35] linked by two short transition periods.[11] The tropical climate is strongly moderated by the oceanic influence and the trade winds that attenuates humidity, which can be close to 80%.[35] The average annual temperature is 23°C, with historical extremes of 2.3°C and 39.1°C.[11]
Oh dear, I thought that New Caledonia was the South Island of New Zealand when it wasn't. :hanged:

But that's not so bad really, learnt something new :) :) . I've got another card up my sleeves.

http://www.wildlifebritain.com/theadder.php

Adders are snakes that live all the way up to Scotland. So my original point does stand, while reptiles don't live in tundra conditions they can live in conditions that can get very cold.

Reptiles survive in cold conditions by means of Cryoprotectants to prevent their blood from freezing during cold periods.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Return to “Might and Magic”