very frustrating mission

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
saugeen123
Pixie
Pixie

very frustrating mission

Unread postby saugeen123 » 15 Dec 2011, 16:50

this final mission in the haven campaign is very frustrating. between underground and the surface some times when chasing 2 red heroes and putting everything back. sometimes orange take back their towns. I don't seem to make any headway.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 15 Dec 2011, 17:06

Those AI invasion armies are chickens, they will run away from Anton. In my game I used the empty Fort beside the underground entrance (in the walkthrough, Fort B) as a bait (as they tend to go after it if Anton is not nearby).

When I see a Red hero appear from the portal exit, I town portal Anton back to the starting town (Town A). Then with the help of a unit-carrying mule hero to share the movement cost (so Anton walks with no army first, then gets the army from the mule hero who have used up her movement points), Anton will have no problem nailing this red hero on the next turn.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 15 Dec 2011, 18:11

maltz wrote:Then with the help of a unit-carrying mule hero to share the movement cost (so Anton walks with no army first, then gets the army from the mule hero who have used up her movement points), Anton will have no problem nailing this red hero on the next turn.
Sorry this may be a stupid question, but are you saying hero without army can go farther than the same one with army ?

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 15 Dec 2011, 18:19

Yep. The difference is actually quite large. Heroes6 did not start this. I remember back in Heroes5 there was a formula showing how movement points is affected by the "number of stacks". I haven't noticed in Heroes6 whether a 1-stack army slows down a hero less than a 7-stack army.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 15 Dec 2011, 23:40

maltz wrote:Yep. The difference is actually quite large. Heroes6 did not start this. I remember back in Heroes5 there was a formula showing how movement points is affected by the "number of stacks". I haven't noticed in Heroes6 whether a 1-stack army slows down a hero less than a 7-stack army.
Thank you, I did not realise this. I know in Heroes 3 only slow armies slowed the hero down. Of course you almost could not have hero without any army then.

Edited : I have one more question ;)
When is the length of daily distance decided ? Morning situation or is it dynamically recalculated ? I mean when hero has no army during the night and gets it before he leaves the town ? I know only in Heroes 3 it was the morning that decided.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 16 Dec 2011, 10:24

I know you get additional movement points if you equip an artifact that increases them or skill Logistics during your turn (meaning if you use up all your movement points and equip the artifact you still have 2 or so left), but I haven't seen that heroes who ship fresh troops over to the main hero get any additional movement points after losing their army. I also haven't gotten any additional movement points after losing half my army. ^^

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 16 Dec 2011, 15:35

My impression is that each step the hero makes costs different amount of movement points.

For example, on a paved road, if the hero carries no army, each step may cost 0.5 movement points. If the hero is loaded with army, each step may cost 1.0 movement points. (I don't know the exact numbers).

So the total movement points is unaffected, but the rate of depletion is.

saugeen123
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby saugeen123 » 16 Dec 2011, 17:41

red Al invades from the south too! And its not at the same time as the one from the portal

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 16 Dec 2011, 18:35

This puzzles me. The Red AI to your south can easily use the one-way portal to invade you. Why bother taking the long route?

Anyway, I guess a good solution to your problem is to restart the mission and take everything as fast as possible in the order suggested by the walkthrough. You won't be punished for over-achieving here, not like Sanctuary mission 4.

saugeen123
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby saugeen123 » 17 Dec 2011, 11:03

I have restarted this mission more times than I can count. I just might be successful this time. I conquered all the red except the one across the bridge. I tried to conquer him earlier but he was much too strong. I will be successful one of these days.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 17 Dec 2011, 11:58

I'm not sure if it's a scripted army or just regular growth (I did that town last), but that town had the strongest hero for me as well. I ended up just camping a few weeks in front of the town until I could take it. I've forgotten how many towns you can get on that map but you can definitely outgrow them.

saugeen123
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby saugeen123 » 18 Dec 2011, 03:24

I finally finished that mission. But not in the way suggested in the walkthrough. that was just too frustrating.

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 18 Dec 2011, 05:34

For those final missions usually it would help greatly if your secondary hero is useful, blitzing with two hero is almost always the way to go, if a really REALLY tough enemy shows up you can always TP back and merge the armies.

generally speaking, casters secondary hereos are more useful, since they usually function better with limited # of troops thx to summon elementals etc.
The river of time wash away all heroes

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 18 Dec 2011, 12:56

saugeen123 wrote:I finally finished that mission. But not in the way suggested in the walkthrough. that was just too frustrating.
Tell me about it. ^^ I saved orange for last because on my first attempt I ended up with red taking back the orange towns and both orange and red going after my town, so as long as orange didn't leave the underground I ignored them. Then when I took the orange towns, the underground portals opened and one hero escaped outside. He started taking my completely undefended towns (since there was no enemy outside). At this point I did some calculating and figured that I could finish the map long before they took all my towns, so I just ignored them.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”