Map of World of Enroth (or C.O.L.O.N.Y.)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 12 Dec 2011, 16:33

While doing MM8 and HoMM4 NWC was short of resources and time so they used Earth images in game movies. I think you can skip both Enroth look in MM8 (it's Earth upside down) and Antagarich in HIV intro (it looks like cloudy North America for me).

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 12 Dec 2011, 16:50

That makes sense. Thanks! Does that mean I can keep Antagarich in the Southern Hemisphere? :)

~Asomath

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 12 Dec 2011, 16:59

Ofc - NWC posted that Erathia was on southern hemisphere.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 12 Dec 2011, 17:05

Fantastic. Then Ill work more on details in a bit!

~Asomath

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 12 Dec 2011, 20:06

Asomath wrote:there is a lake far too large to be Glimmerdeep
Hold your horses. Have you been using this as a reference? Don't do so - it was for a now-dead fan project and is not canon by any means. Many of the regions on it are using made-up names (including Glimmerdeep Lake).

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 12 Dec 2011, 20:17

Oui! Thanks for stopping me... I would have used it for reference material when I started on Antagarich. Thanks for the heads up!

~Asomath

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 12 Dec 2011, 20:27

No problem; when you get to working on Antagarich I can give you a list of which landmarks really exist on it. ;)

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 12 Dec 2011, 21:58

Sounds like a plan! Im doing some geographical polishing now... hopefully I'll have a WIP in a bit

~Asomath

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 12 Dec 2011, 22:47

wasnt there an official map many years ago? i do remember some of the old devs commenting about the land layout.

also, we need an ignore button, perfect for certain posters.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 13 Dec 2011, 03:13

If such a map existed I was unaware of it.

Here is a WIP of todays work. I got all of the rivers and lakes etched in. I also fixed islands and cleaned up shore lines.

Im going to do a parchment version first, and then if I have time, ill go back and do a full color, bump map version as well. Ill be doing the mountains and forests tomorrow. If ya'll have the names of any of the mountain ranges, rivers, forests, or lakes to the major continents, post them here.

WIP:

Thanks!
~Asomath

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 13 Dec 2011, 12:10

Asomath wrote:If such a map existed I was unaware of it.

Here is a WIP of todays work. I got all of the rivers and lakes etched in. I also fixed islands and cleaned up shore lines.

Im going to do a parchment version first, and then if I have time, ill go back and do a full color, bump map version as well. Ill be doing the mountains and forests tomorrow. If ya'll have the names of any of the mountain ranges, rivers, forests, or lakes to the major continents, post them here.
Shouldn't you mark out terra incognito on the map seperately?
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Dec 2011, 12:24

Avonu wrote:Ofc - NWC posted that Erathia was on southern hemisphere.
Did they? If so, Enroth the planet must have a real wacky sun to have Vori, the part of Antagarich that is closest to the equator, covered in snow, and the Bracada desert, closest to the south pole, a desert!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 13 Dec 2011, 13:04

Vori - because of Sword of Frost
Bracada Deserts - Bracada Highlands mountains. Deserts are created not only by climate zones but also by being seperated from other lands by mountains (Gobi Desert).
Oh, and I nearly forgot the most logical explanation: It's a magic! :P

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 13 Dec 2011, 14:44

GreatEmerald wrote: Did they? If so, Enroth the planet must have a real wacky sun to have Vori, the part of Antagarich that is closest to the equator, covered in snow, and the Bracada desert, closest to the south pole, a desert!
I guess it all comes down to Ocean currents.

Great Britain is far hotter than it should be because of the Gulf Stream. If Vori was in the middle of a cold ocean current (do they exist?) it could be very cold indeed or conversely if a warm current circumnavigates Antagarich and misses Vori.

Or to put it another way, there are other factors at work that simply how close you are to the equator in how warm a place is.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Dec 2011, 15:05

Even then, it would be pretty wacky, since it would imply that Antagarich is all in the temperate climate zone, so it should be pretty small indeed. That said, I don't recall ever seeing any jungles on Antagarich, either. The desert goes right to grasslands.

And yes, Slayer, cold currents do indeed exist :)

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 13 Dec 2011, 16:30

Yep Enroth is a pretty strange planet... there are other factors that play in besides typical earth-like climatology.

There will definently be multiple versions of each map, so people can pick or choose as they desire.

Does anyone know the name of the mountains that seperate Silver Cove from the Frozen Highlands?
Corlagon wrote:
- The White Forest River exists somewhere, but it's not really specified exactly where.
The only river left in Enroth that does not have a name claimed is the one that flows from the Frozen Highlands into Glimmervale Lake. It would actually fit as "White Forest"... when you go near the river there is as much of a "forest" as any in Might and Magic VI. These are pine trees covered with snow (in decent numbers) surrounding the river. It would make sense that this would be the "White Forest" and that the river would in fact be the White Forest River. Would anyone have objections if I marked it as such?

~Asomath

overall
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby overall » 13 Dec 2011, 16:47

Asomath wrote:@overall, um, le what? XD
nothing special rely... watermelon cat just thinks that any of this pictures dosent still make any sense x)
i havent rely never point much tension this maps they dont seem to be so much planned... or in their time world was bit flat and squary, looks like enroths edge of the world is where A4 ending x)...
but sure i like to check this map when its done :)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 13 Dec 2011, 17:23

Asomath wrote:It would make sense that this would be the "White Forest" and that the river would in fact be the White Forest River. Would anyone have objections if I marked it as such?
Makes perfect sense to me. :)

Some more detail on Carator from Heroes II:
Our enemy Archibald has begun to move troops into the mountainous mining regions of the south known as Carator, and we need to oppose him and seize these resources for ourselves. [...] In return for your aid, Rocklin has promised you the unconditional support of the dwarfs for as long as you should serve me. Already he has sent troops to the Carator mountains in anticipation of your move against Archibald.
Here are many of the named landmarks of Antagarich without any BS:

- Angel Gate
- Avauntnell
- Barrow Downs
- Battlestead
- Bracada Desert
- Bracada Highlands
- Bragden
- Brighton Point
- Cloverfield
- Deyja Moors
- Emerald Hills
- Ferris
- Fire Coast
- Forestbury
- Forestdale
- Forestdon
- Forestlow
- Frostland
- Frostpoint
- Gaia's Crest
- Grainrich
- Griffin Cliff
- Hillbridge
- Ironsand Desert
- Land of the Be-Warned
- Land of the Giants
- Marble Garden
- Marshland
- Minewell
- Moss Valley
- Motten Cliffs
- Mount Nighon
- Racken Cliffs
- Rionpoint
- Shandar River
- Shantanna
- Skyline Bay
- Strongwillow
- Teal River
- Thunderfist Mountain
- Tularean Forest
- Valley of Dagrond
- Wallpeaks
- Watershed Point
- Woodgrove
- Wyvern Plains

For Jadame there is unfortunately much less detail:

- Alvar River
- Shadowspire Mountains

I'll start making images specifying where each of these are. You can see many of them yourself if you have the Heroes III campaign editor. Otherwise, you probably know where a few of them are already.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 13 Dec 2011, 20:16

Asomath, you'll probably want to read this and revise your map if you want a completely accurate one.
Tim Lang wrote:I wouldn't put too much stock in that picture [referring to the MM6 intro video]. That whole movie was made before JVC even created the Enroth map for MM6. As far as the Enroth map, we had a meeting on a friday where JVC said he was going to create a map over the weekend, and then came in on Monday with a map.
While the large continent looks especially like Enroth, it may be deceiving, because at the time that video was made, there was no true map of Enroth in existence. Jon would have probably modeled Enroth partially based on the MM6 intro vid for consistency, primarily that the "asteroid-ish" structure that crashed on the planet was in fact the Kreegan Hiveship landing in Sweet Water.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 13 Dec 2011, 21:27

Revise it in what manner? Do you mean the left and top of Enroth?

~Asomath

Return to “Might and Magic”